Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack College 2010-2011: playoff run

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    Carmine, I think often times COTY goes to the coach who's team over achieves. I think Jerry is a hell of a hockey coach. The numbers do not lie. However, I believe he has been passed over for COTY so often because he has had a boat load of talent so often with teams expected to compete for titles.
    I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying but I have a huge problem basing anything off of a preseason poll as a baseline. Dennehy has done an awesome job. Awesome. But penalizing the greatest coach in the game because he has a lot of other things going for him is also stupid. Any coach that is picked preseason #1 can't possibly do any better than expectations so he is eliminated for this before a single game is played?
    Originally posted by reBlur
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
      Carmine, Dennehy should have won it. I mean, his team finished fourth...
      Honest question, had they come in 3rd, do you think he wins it?
      Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Disappointed that Dennehey didn't win, but how can anyone begrudge York? You can't not vote for him just because his team is talented. He keeps them performing at a high level year in and year out. I say congratulations.
        Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Why so sure JC is leaving? I've heard rumblings both ways. Vancouver has some depth in their system. Goalies tend to stay longer, but I've been resigned to him leaving. For a while, I thought he might stay, but not anymore. I think Morotta is a decent goalie (obviously no JC).
          I would agree with you. Just a guess says he stays, and why not.. Plays every game and is still a kid. Remember, he is a junior and younger than any junior or soph on the team and the same age as all of their freshmen.

With SD, Allan, Kramer, Ross, Cucci, Jameson, Ouimet and Barton leaving, he would geta ton of work. He also from all accounts loves the school and program and appreciates what MD has done for him, mutual of course..

If I had to bet, he wouold stay. Good run and dev camp could change everything easily

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
            Honest question, had they come in 3rd, do you think he wins it?
            voting ends after reg season. that 2 week slide made many feel it was all SD. Safe to say last weekend changed that

Comment

Right. I think MC will take a huge step backwards next year offensively, but I still like their defense assuming everyone stays. I like their third line. I could see Velleca-Todd-Collins being a good scoring line. I've only seen Mansfield and Toomey out of the incoming recruits. I wouldn't count on either to provide much of a scoring threat. Another line might include Broadhag, Bates and Bly. Another line with some of the frosh and maybe Heffernan. I've been disappointed not seeing Heffernan out there over Kramer and Jamieson.

As much as MC will take a step back, I believe UML and PC will still be in serious trouble. I think Maine is in real big trouble once Flynn and Nyquist leave. I could see NU having a real good season assuming everyone returns and their goaltending becomes more consistent.

Comment

Best of luck to you guys this weekend, I'm excited for your team and fans, and while I hope UNH wins tomorrow, if they don't, I'll be pulling for you guys Saturday, and even if UNH wins tomorrow, I'll be pulling for you in the NCAA's (unless, of course, we meet again)

Enjoy the ride!

Comment

You'd get no arguement from me that Jerry York is the best coach in the country. Heck, his program has been the best since 1998 or so. Frozen Fours, NCAA Titles, HE Tourney Titles, guys in NHL, etc. However, I was expecting Dennehy to get it based on his team being a perenial bottom dweller and finishing 3 spots ahead of expected and all.
                  It's a Coach of the Year award, though, not a Coach of the Decade or a Best All-Time Coach award. I think you've got to put things in context; and if the context is "performance this year" then a really important part of any judgment of this year's performance is how it compares to last year's performance, because it's how you did last year that, all other things being equal, sets the bar.

BC in 2009-2010: 29-10-3. League title, national title.
                  BC in 2010-2011: 28-7-1.

So this season's winning percentage is higher, and I'd venture to guess will either be the same or higher, since it's not possible for them to lose more than 2 more games, so the absolute worst record they can have is 28-9-1. On the other hand, if they were not to win the league championship and/or the national championship again this year, then I think a lot of BC fans will feel that this year was not as good as last year.

So York gets full points for keeping the juggernaut rolling, and replacing the high quality kids who leave with more high quality kids who arrive. No matter what anybody says, these top level programs don't run themselves, and I do think it's harder to stay up on the balance beam than it is to jump up there from time to time.

On the other hand..

MC in 2009-2010: 16-19-2.
                  MC in 2010-2011: 24-8-4.

That's just astounding. That's going from a sub-.500 record in one season to a winning percentage that is within a hair of what BC had last season when they won the national title (yes, of course, points off for strength of schedule). That's going from a 7th place finish and a first-round exit to a first-ever earned home ice berth and a first ever playoff sweep, in the matchup that usually features the most upsets against a team that had beaten them twice in a row, badly, only two weeks before.

I suppose if you want to look ONLY at this season, then BC's commanding performance in the league this year gets him the nod. In that case, though, just give the coach that wins the RS title the honors and don't pretend it's about more than that. No matter how you slice it, taking into account the last two or three seasons, even if you want to say that York deserves credit for keeping his program at a high level, I think Dennehy is more deserving for bringing the program up. Perhaps if the Warriors hadn't faltered down the stretch against Maine and Providence, he would have got it. As it stands, Dennehy got half this award last season for a deserving performance that was not as good as this year's, and this year gets snubbed in favor of giving it to a guy who was expected to do what he's done.

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  I want MC to do well and make a great run. MD did a great job. But, when you lose 3/4 down the stretch, and get smoked 7-1, 4-1 and lose to pc 5-3 and voting was done after regular seaon. many voters would say, "Hey, clearly it was a 1 horse show with a great goalie"

I am quite sure the qtr finals series put a rest to that notion. y
                  It's a coaching award, not a recruiting award-- although those duties are integrated. On the other hand, since Da Costa was out for every stretch game they lost, and played in the two quarterfinals they won, it doesn't really settle anything, despite the fact that it wasn't the scoring done on his line that was the factor. At this point, I think him just being in the lineup forces teams to focus on that line, and that gives other lines space to operate. That just makes it even more impressive that the Madsen line did what it did against Maine's top line. I don't think Nyquist was really comfortable playing that much in his own end.

If anything, getting this year's season done with a one horse show and one great goalie-- if that were indeed the case-- gives MORE credit to Dennehy's coaching, not less. It means he's getting more done with less than other programs have. Maybe someone should ask York to sit Atkinson or Gibbons for this weekend-- you know, just to prove he's really the Coach of the Year.

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                    Disappointed that Dennehey didn't win, but how can anyone begrudge York? You can't not vote for him just because his team is talented. He keeps them performing at a high level year in and year out. I say congratulations.
                    Well said. York has been passed over plenty of times for this award, so it's nice seeing him win it. I too thought Dennehy would win, but didn't he win it last year? Perhaps that had something to do with it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Well said. York has been passed over plenty of times for this award, so it's nice seeing him win it. I too thought Dennehy would win, but didn't he win it last year? Perhaps that had something to do with it as well.
                      Probably it did. He was a co-winner with Umile last year.

Somebody should offer the league a deal. Merrimack will give back Dennehy's share of the award last year and give it to York. He won a national championship, he deserved it, and then Dennehy can win it this year. Sounds fair to me

Comment

good luck Mack!! i can't wait to see the turnout for you guys tonight. welcome to the party!

Comment

Carmine, I think often times COTY goes to the coach who's team over achieves. I think Jerry is a hell of a hockey coach. The numbers do not lie. However, I believe he has been passed over for COTY so often because he has had a boat load of talent so often with teams expected to compete for titles.
                          HE COTY, like most conference awards, awards the top guy in the conference. Dennehy finished fourth in the conference. I think he'll win the Spencer Penrose Award for top coach in the NCAA for the reasons you mentioned. York is the best coach in the country, without a doubt, but I think they got this one right.
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

No doubt Dennehy should have won the award. I guess the fact that he co-won it last year may have had something to do with it but it shouldn't.

Merrimack, with all of its challenges, finished 4th place (1 pt out of 3rd) and a #7 national ranking. This type of success is unheard of at Merrimack and is probably a high point of their D-I history.

York no doubt outstanding coach. However, he had a national championship team with almost everyone returning and legit preseason #1. BC was supposed to terrorize the league this year. The irony is that York had been unfairly passed over for this award many times with teams that he would have had to work harder at to bring to a top level.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                              I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying but I have a huge problem basing anything off of a preseason poll as a baseline. Dennehy has done an awesome job. Awesome. But penalizing the greatest coach in the game because he has a lot of other things going for him is also stupid. Any coach that is picked preseason #1 can't possibly do any better than expectations so he is eliminated for this before a single game is played?
                              absolutely you can use the preseason poll as a base. the COACHES vote in the poll and the COACHES vote for the award.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                                HE COTY, like most conference awards, awards the top guy in the conference. Dennehy finished fourth in the conference. I think he'll win the Spencer Penrose Award for top coach in the NCAA for the reasons you mentioned. York is the best coach in the country, without a doubt, but I think they got this one right.
                                He wont even be a nominee for national coty unless he makes the frozen four. it's the conference winners and frozen four teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X