Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Merrimack College 2010-2011: playoff run

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
    You guys better hurry up and change your name to Boston Catholic College or something like that then. We've beaten better teams than Merrimack in front of their home crowds in the NCAA's.
    You have absolutely no idea how good this Merrimack team is. Miami is playing great hockey right now, but Merrimack is no slouch should you meet them in the regional final.

Comment

Anyone from Merrimack know if a local channel is picking up the game against Notre Dame? It won't be on ESPNU, so as of right now, you can only watch on ESPN3.com. I figured with it being a New England team that some network would pick up the syndication.

Comment

Originally posted by ken892 View Post
        None from Hockey East that's for sure. This teams is as physical and talented as any team in the country, they only lack post season experience. If they can get over the nerves, they will be in St. Paul.
        Well, Miami did beat #1 seed UNH in Manchester a few years back. Merrimack is a very dangerous team, but they aren't as talented as a BC/North Dakota. That being said, I think the Warriors have a good chance of advancing to St. Paul.

Comment

You guys better hurry up and change your name to Boston Catholic College or something like that then. We've beaten better teams than Merrimack in front of their home crowds in the NCAA's.
          Anyone remember DC?
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Anyone remember DC?
            Just DC? How about 2006-2010....

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Anyone from Merrimack know if a local channel is picking up the game against Notre Dame? It won't be on ESPNU, so as of right now, you can only watch on ESPN3.com. I figured with it being a New England team that some network would pick up the syndication.
              Comcast SportsNet New England will televise Saturday's NCAA Tournament game between Merrimack and Notre Dame live in high definition beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Comment

Originally posted by TopShelf999 View Post
                You guys have had a great run this year but I think the inexperience will catch up to you in game 1 when MC loses 5-2. Hopefully the bandwagon fans stay for next season.
                I really don't see this type of argument as valid. These guys have all played in big games before. Also that's what people said about the HE quarter finals, the semis as well as the championship game. They completely dominated Maine in the quarters, beat UNH handedly in the semis, and then played a close and winnable game against the defending national champions BC....All 3 teams had a Hobey Baker top ten finalist on it...all were on a big stage.

Not to mention the amount of MC fans that will be at the game and the lack of Miami and Notre Dame fans...I dont think the "awe" factor comes into play until the frozen four if at all.

5-2 against ND? Not a chance, definitely a closer game than that.
                Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  That being said, I think the Warriors have a good chance of advancing to St. Paul.

Nothing would make this Minnesota fan happier. I'd pull for them at the Frozen Four.
                  Sports Alleigance

NCAAH Minnesota
                  NFL Min
                  MLB NYM, Min
                  NHL Min, Dal
                  NCAAB Min, Baylor
                  NCAAFB Min, Ole Miss
                  Soccer USA, Liverpool, Sheffield Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                    I

Not to mention the amount of MC fans that will be at the game and the lack of Miami and Notre Dame fans...I dont think the "awe" factor comes into play until the frozen four if at all.

5-2 against ND? Not a chance, definitely a closer game than that.
                    All 2400 fans

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                      All 3 teams had a Hobey Baker top ten finalist on it...all were on a big stage.
                      Yeah but you guys haven't played a team yet with 2 Hobey finalists on 2 different lines yet

Fans? Who needs fans? They didn't help Western last weekend at the Joe when Miami was outnumbered by probably a good 13000 who wanted the cinderella to win.

Comment

Merrimack is too well coached to have any issues with playing on a big stage.

Although the stakes may be higher, the 'stage' at the VWA is actually smaller; 17000 at TD Garden (for Hockey East) v. 10000 at VWA (NCAAs). In fact, perhaps even more favorable because there will be very few fans rooting against 'Mack on Saturday. I'll be cheering for them (Hockey East standing strong), unless we meet up on Sunday.

For anybody who even casually followed Mack this year, it was clear that Dennehey recruited guys who had played in big games at other levels.

As for the bandwagon fan comment . . . losing teams have fewer fans. Merrimack worked to change the culture at the school. I like this:

"2000 students, 28 players, 1 goal." And hey, they have the highest student population % at their games or something like that . . .
                        I haven't been on here in a year...
                        Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                          "2000 students, 28 players, 1 goal." And hey, they have the highest student population % at their games or something like that . . .
                          I love that slogan....and youre right, i think I read their percentage is higest in the league. A little under 2000 students (like 1980 or something) but lets say 2000. They averaged like 800 students per game so thats like 40% of students go to their games. At BU that would be like 12,700 students going to Agganis which only holds a little over 6000

Comment

Originally posted by 'MackFan View Post
                            I love that slogan....and youre right, i think I read their percentage is higest in the league. A little under 2000 students (like 1980 or something) but lets say 2000. They averaged like 800 students per game so thats like 40% of students go to their games. At BU that would be like 12,700 students going to Agganis which only holds a little over 6000
                            Merrimack is copying some of the best turnaround stories in pro sports to make it work in our program. They completely re-branded the uni's and logos like Tampa Bay (Rays) did, and like the Red Sox they have turned their stadium from a liability into a great experience by renovating and keeping capacity low to raise the percentage of asses in seats. I'm already very proud to be an alum, now I'm just hoping the students can get the chants sorted out for next year.

Comment

Yeah but you guys haven't played a team yet with 2 Hobey finalists on 2 different lines yet

Fans? Who needs fans? They didn't help Western last weekend at the Joe when Miami was outnumbered by probably a good 13000 who wanted the cinderella to win.
                              BC is better than Miami and Merrimack gave them fits in all four meetings. Merrimack is also better than Western Michigan IMO.

Comment

Posted in the regional thread but:

Interesting thought/question... If you're amongst the thousands of Merrimack fans that will outnumber everyone else in the building Saturday, who are you rooting for in the first game? As a UNH fan I'm pulling for Merrimack in the 2nd game against Notre Dame, and hope that those that stick around will add to the excitement in game 2. I'm curious how the hoards of Merrimack fans, students especially, will turn out for the first game. Do they see UNH as a rival that they want to lose, or do they see them as a Hockey East team that they want to see succeed (as long as its not at their expense?)

Comment

Working...
                                X