• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

38 game regular season sched:

20 vs. B10 (2h 2a x 5 schools)
    12 vs. old WCHA
    6 vs. other nonconf teams, icebreaker tourney, etc.

Except for perhaps the 4 PSU games, those first 32 would all be intense. Definitely a denser sched than we have now.

Comment

I agree with your thoughts on the schedule but the traditonal schedule includes 34 games not 38. Wisconsin got a 2 game exception for going to Alaska this year and a 2 game exception for playing in the Ice Breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        I agree with your thoughts on the schedule but the traditonal schedule includes 34 games not 38. Wisconsin got a 2 game exception for going to Alaska this year and a 2 game exception for playing in the Ice Breaker.
        Thanks for the correction. So make it 20, 10 and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          I agree with hoping that we'd get that schedule but using hoops and football as SOP, expect lots of home games against the Mercyhursts of the world.

No way we play more than one series a season against Denver, UND or Duluth who will demand return engagements. Alvare$ will never allow that.

Count on this.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            I seem to recall one of the WSJ writers quoting Blais or Sauer saying they exchanged looks before the puckdrop Friday night, acknowledging that they were witnessing something special.

Then the refs proceeded to screw the Sioux both nights, giving both games away on late calls, early calls, missed calls, and bad calls. But then Sioux fans are good at rising above excuses.
            I don't remember that at all.

But I'm sure there were numerous spearings, boardings and beheadings that the Sioux committed, but weren't whistled for.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              I agree with hoping that we'd get that schedule but using hoops and football as SOP, expect lots of home games against the Mercyhursts of the world.

No way we play more than one series a season against Denver, UND or Duluth who will demand return engagements. Alvare$ will never allow that.

Count on this.
              I would love to do a home-and-home with UND every year, but I doubt that they would want it particularly if the WCHA remains with a 28 game schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                I would love to do a home-and-home with UND every year, but I doubt that they would want it particularly if the WCHA remains with a 28 game schedule.
                I think UND would want to schedule UW every year just to keep a strong strength of schedule. Although I wonder if the UND staff has considered scheduling Colgate, QU, Harvard, and St. Lawrence so they could hold on to a pwr spot and make the NCAA tournament every year.
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                  I think an alternating year schedule is probably the best we'll get. Two games in Grand Forks one year, two in Madison the next.
                  sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Ben Street has been doing very well for the Pen's farm team.

22GP 10G 5A +8

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Count on this.
                      A major difference is that hoops and football sell out regardless of opponent.

The gate for hockey fluctuates based on opponent. As we all know the 3rd level can be anywhere from full to empty.

Now that said, it still may be more profitable to host two home series against Mercyhurst-type opponents than playing a home series vs. DU and a road series at UND, for example. There are too many variables to make a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by davearm View Post
                        The gate for hockey fluctuates based on opponent. As we all know the 3rd level can be anywhere from full to empty.
                        I pretty much only go to non-marque games @ the KC and the 3rd deck is never "empty"; half full at the worst case.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I'll be honest saying I've only read the third page of this thread, however, has anyone hinted at firing Eaves? I feel he's a great coach and everyone knows Wisconsin produces solid NHL prospects on the blue line thanks to his staff.

I concur with some WCHA coaches that NHL franchises need to stop poaching kids after only 1 or 2 years in college. Perhaps a 2 year minimum requirement if a player decides to go the NCAA route versus the OHL, WHL or QMJHL. Do you think that'd send some of our best talent to Canada?

When you have a graduating senior class plus a handful of your best underclassmen bounce to the pros... Makes recruiting and player development a pain in the a**
                          WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
                          NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
                          WIAC Championships: 10-11
                          NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
                          NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

I think the nWCHA needs to go with REA and the payday. Their just isn't a good 10-12k areana in the west/midwest to act as neutral site.
                            UNO seats over 16,000 and is as centrally located as anyone. I'm not sure how nice the arena is or how well it would be supported there.
                            If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post
                              UNO seats over 16,000 and is as centrally located as anyone. I'm not sure how nice the arena is or how well it would be supported there.
                              The question of fan support is the big one with Omaha. I'm not saying they wouldn't turn out for the tourny, I really don't know. It might be possible to rotate the tourny between schools/towns that have a certain minimal seating capacity.
                              sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post
                                Omaha is NOT centrally located for any of the remaining teams in the new WCHA. None are within a 5 hour drive, most are looking at at least a 7 hour drive. For Grand Forks: St. Cloud, Bemidji, Duluth are all withing about 4 hours, Mankato is about 6, UNO and MTU are about 8.

Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with letting the #1 overall team host the tournament every year. Then, at least, they have earned the home ice advantage.

Comment

Working...
                                X