X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

Originally posted by davearm View Post
    Only hockey plays in a conference with hugely dissimilar and/or geographically distant schools like Alaska, CC, Mankato, MTU, etc. Do people not see the disconnect here?
    I will agree UW playing a litany of non-b11 teams in the WCHA hurts their presence with non-traditional/casual fans. When I first discovered UW hockey back in the mid-80's, I said to myself, "Why are they playing a Tech school from MI?" Now that was far before the internet, and it took me awhile to get it firgured out, but then once I learned about the rivalries and history, it was cool. The B11 Hockey Conference has a bunch of positives, but the planning of the conference has to take advantage of these positives.

Anyone else see Barry's gonna be a million dollar man? Maybe he could pony up some of his $ for the practice facility, now that he's not destitute anymore.

Frazer oversees the hockey programs, but Barry "I'm not a hockey guy" Alvarez is ultimately accountable.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      The water bottle game keeps being brought up over the years and it's ancient history at this point. It's a good marker of where the rivalry was at that time, maybe the 5 years prior and 5 after. It's fun to look back and go "****!" It has absolutely no bearing on today's rivalry though.
      My point is that events like that are what it takes to build a emotionally fueled rivalry of hate even if the impact of that event decreases with time.

To believe that any of the B1G schools can have a UND type rivalry in the next three years is unrealistic.

My problem with all these changes isn't the "what" of the changes, but the "why" of the changes. For the most part, the "what" of the changes is a inconsequential as to make little difference to the health of the overall program because I view the conference switch as a lateral move, the B1G conference isn't going to be any stronger than the WCHA has been. In the past games have been moved off the regular Friday-Saturday cycle because of conflicts, and us fans may not have liked it but we tolerated it as being an necessary exception.

The problem is the "why" of all these changes, it wasn't to directly make the hockey program better, but to try and wring a few more $$. Making major changes for no reason but greed doesn't sit well with me, and of equal importance the person whose job it was to sell these changes to the fans has failed miserably in PR 101 with respect to the whole hockey program.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
        The problem is the "why" of all these changes, it wasn't to directly make the hockey program better, but to try and wring a few more $$. Making major changes for no reason but greed doesn't sit well with me, and of equal importance the person whose job it was to sell these changes to the fans has failed miserably in PR 101 with respect to the whole hockey program.
        As someone who used to listen to many of his post game press conferences, I would have been shocked if he DIDN'T fail at the PR.

Kissing babies and saying nice things isn't his strong suit by any stretch. As an AD, yes, he should be better at this.

My favorite post game moment was when he was asked about an option on 4th and 1 which failed and ultimately cost us the game and he said with a straight face and a dare you attitude, "I don't remember that play." Of course, our chicken-s_h_i_t reporters backed down and moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
          My point is that events like that are what it takes to build a emotionally fueled rivalry of hate even if the impact of that event decreases with time.

To believe that any of the B1G schools can have a UND type rivalry in the next three years is unrealistic.
          For me anyway (and probably for anyone else that follows the other big sports), the "new" rivalries are at a UND level already.

UND has the water bottle, etc.

Michigan State has Tom Izzo v. Bo Ryan, the only regular-season defeat in football last year, etc.

OSU has beating their #1 ranked team in two sports the same year, Jim Sorgi getting choked on national TV, etc

Michigan, well where do I even start

For people that don't care much about anything but hockey, it'll take awhile. For everyone else, the passion will be there right from the beginning.

Comment

I interrupt your regularly scheduled Big 10 debate/Barry bashing for this brief tidbit.

Former Wisconsin Badger and current Los Angeles Kings defenseman Davis Drewiske is holding a 3 on 3 hockey tournament Friday, July 15th in Hudson, WI with proceeds going to benefit the Huntington's Disease Society of America. If your not familiar with Huntington's, it's a very serious illness that former Badger Jake Dowell's father has. Here is an article done by the CBS National News on the Dowell family back from 2004 on Jake getting tested for Huntington's.

I think it takes a pretty awesome friend of Jake's like Davis Drewiske to put an event on like this to help raise money for Huntingtons. It's not too late to get your kid into the 3 on 3 tournament and it sounds sweet. Each 3 on 3 team will get to play with an NHL hockey player. Players scheduled to attend: Jake Dowell (Dallas Stars), Ryan McDonagh (New York Rangers), Derek Stepan (New York Rangers), Adam Burish (Dallas Stars), Tom Gilbert (Edmonton Oilers), Brian Elliott (St. Louis Blues), Blake Geoffrion (Nashville Predators), Matt Greene (L.A. Kings), Peter Herold (L.A. Kings), Kevin Westgarth (L.A. Kings), and Scott Parse (L.A. Kings) as well as obviously Davis Drewiske of the L.A. Kings.

Additionally, there is going to be a live band (which I hear is supposed to be awesome), an auction, a raffle, as well as a food and beer tent. I would encourage anyone that can make it over to Hudson July 15th to do so. Obviously in addition to meeting some NHL stars and former Badger National Champions, raising money for Huntington's which is a disease that hits so close to home with one of our own former Badger parents should really be cool.

CLICK HERE FOR REGISTRATION

Comment

Chuck, do they do this every year? I don't have a kid, but it would make a fun weekend trip to the area...I'm assuming those of us w/o kids are welcome for a fee?

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
                Chuck, do they do this every year? I don't have a kid, but it would make a fun weekend trip to the area...I'm assuming those of us w/o kids are welcome for a fee?
                I would LOVE to take my 12 year old to this, but Hudson is a bit far for one night. Also, I can't find what the registration cost per kid is.

Comment

Originally posted by davearm View Post
                  For me anyway (and probably for anyone else that follows the other big sports), the "new" rivalries are at a UND level already.

UND has the water bottle, etc.

Michigan State has Tom Izzo v. Bo Ryan, the only regular-season defeat in football last year, etc.

OSU has beating their #1 ranked team in two sports the same year, Jim Sorgi getting choked on national TV, etc

Michigan, well where do I even start

For people that don't care much about anything but hockey, it'll take awhile. For everyone else, the passion will be there right from the beginning.
                  there *might* be 2 teams in the country you could say this about in terms of rivalries in other sports carrying over to hockey...maybe...notre dame (if UW ever, ever would play them), michigan

I think it's a stretch that most diehard UW hockey fans care at all about OSU/MSU/Penn State hockey currently, or would come to hate them as much as Nodak/Minnesota. these things don't happen in 3 years. they happen in decades

Nodak is a rivalry that I believe will sustain and still be stronger than the b10.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

The WCHA has been around for nearly 60 years, longer than all but a handful of the full sport conferences. If that isn't indicative of being stable, I don't know what is.
                    Sure, I agree it was stable for a long time. Today, not so much. It's on the verge of falling apart thanks to a knee-jerk reaction toward Big Ten hockey.

Nodak is a rivalry that I believe will sustain and still be stronger than the b10.
                    That's entirely possible, although I think Minnesota will always be our biggest rival. In basketball, our rivalry with Marquette is nearly as good as our rivalries with Minnesota or Michigan State.

I also agree that the B1G rivalries won't develop over a short period of time. But we already hate the other B1G teams in other sports, so it should come easily enough in hockey.

I do agree with this, however:

That era of Badger hockey and Badger hockey fandom is long, long gone. It left with the Coliseum and the beer garden.
                    It seems like people really want to recapture those days. It's not happening.

Comment

I want to say he did it last year, too.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

One reason I'm solidly against this b10 nonsense may come to fruition quicker than I thought...w/this Nodak/DU/CC/UMD/Miami announcement forthcoming the powers are taken care of now into 2 new conferences.

so what's the over/under that two or more of the following become extinct as hockey programs? MTU (3-time NCAA champ), LSSU (3-time NCAA champ), NMU (1-time NCAA champ), Bemidji, Mankato, UAA, UAF, etc.

I'm guessing 5 years at most and schools start dropping out. how that's good for a 58-team field is inexplicable
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          I would LOVE to take my 12 year old to this, but Hudson is a bit far for one night. Also, I can't find what the registration cost per kid is.
                          Here is more info, sorry I should have posted this link too. LINK

It's $150 per kid to play. Boys and girls ages 7-14 only. In addition to the 3 on 3 with multiple NHL players and former Badgers you get an off ice skills training session with Dean and Pete Talafus (both former Badgers who run Total Hockey), a jersey, a t-shirt, and autographed photos of all players.

Last year was the first year I believe, and as far as I know they plan to continue it every year. I think everyone is welcome for free but you might have to pay like 10 bucks or something to get into the beer tent? I can try and find out.

Honestly though it's a pretty sweet deal. I can't imagine as a kid getting to play some 3 on 3 with Stepan, Geoffrion, McDonagh, Dowell, Davis..etc, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                            Here is more info, sorry I should have posted this link too. LINK

It's $150 per kid to play. Boys and girls ages 7-14 only. In addition to the 3 on 3 with multiple NHL players and former Badgers you get an off ice skills training session with Dean and Pete Talafus (both former Badgers who run Total Hockey), a jersey, a t-shirt, and autographed photos of all players.

Last year was the first year I believe, and as far as I know they plan to continue it every year. I think everyone is welcome for free but you might have to pay like 10 bucks or something to get into the beer tent? I can try and find out.

Honestly though it's a pretty sweet deal. I can't imagine as a kid getting to play some 3 on 3 with Stepan, Geoffrion, McDonagh, Dowell, Davis..etc, etc
                            Thanks for the info. Sounds like fun and for a good cause. Just wish it was a bit closer.

Yep, getting old when you're not up for a 4 hour road trip...

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              One reason I'm solidly against this b10 nonsense may come to fruition quicker than I thought...w/this Nodak/DU/CC/UMD/Miami announcement forthcoming the powers are taken care of now into 2 new conferences.

so what's the over/under that two or more of the following become extinct as hockey programs? MTU (3-time NCAA champ), LSSU (3-time NCAA champ), NMU (1-time NCAA champ), Bemidji, Mankato, UAA, UAF, etc.

I'm guessing 5 years at most and schools start dropping out. how that's good for a 58-team field is inexplicable
                              Can't wait for UW to miss the tounament after ending the season in the 12th spot in the PWR. More conferences=more autobids=fewer at large bids. That's even before the threat of dropping down to a 12 team tounament if more teams fold: should the number of teams drop beloww 56, I think that the NCAA will really have to consider that move (which isn't good for ANY of the remaining teams)

I think that it is to early to tell what the total fall out from that move will be, particularly since the ND domino has not yet fallen. But I think that between the remaining WCHA, CCHA, and western AHA plus UAH the teams can be shifted to have 3 stable 8 team conferences.

That said, all this does is make it EVEN more apparent how critical UMN and UW were to the WCHA. And it will kill any chance of playing UND until they drop the sioux name, as any scheduling agreement would have been made with the WCHA and not the new motel 6/super 8 conference.

Comment

Almington.

Doom and Gloom! Is that all you eat?

Comment

Working...
                                X