X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    True though that may be, Alvarez has been the most outspoken proponent of the BTHC, so all the derision towards him is sort of the side effect that comes from being so open about this being everything that he's been pushing for whenever he opens his mouth on the subject to Oates, Baggott or anyone else in the media.

... as long as we didn't pay him...
    True, that! I guess it's just a matter of time before every program gets busted for something or other. That's why it's a little hard to gloat over tOSU's current problems. I haven't forgotten the Shoe Box scandal. Still will NEVER shop there. See, I can be petty too. Plus they have all that Cardinal crap all over the place. Haven't forgotten 1982 either!

Back to Darth Alvarez...

My point is that the B10HC was going to happen whether Barry flapped his gums or not or even whether Barry is a complete tool or not.

Even if it didn't happen on the current timeline, it would have 5 or 10 years down the line.

We've been hearing rumblings about this for years now, even as far back as 2005, when Barry didn't even know we had a hockey team, so it's not like it was his idea.

The Badgers in the WCHA was basically a dead man walking and whether we got 5 more years of it or 10 more years of it, what ultimately is the difference?

I don't like it. It's not what I grew up with. It's not our tradition.

All things change though. We don't play at the Coliseum any more. Chicago Stadium is a parking lot. The North Stars are in Dallas. What are ya gonna do?

I *****ed for a bit and now I've moved on and I'm really getting tired of the complete obsession that USCHO has for this issue (not just our thread). I understand why it was topical, but it's now just rehashing to the point of madness.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-02-2011, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I can dig that, Gurt. In fact, the thing that upsets me the most is this:

What next? Shootouts? Yeah, probably shootouts.
      *sigh*
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I can dig that, Gurt. In fact, the thing that upsets me the most is this:

*sigh*
        Yeah, that would be sucky. I still don't like them in the NHL and feel they pander to the lowest common denominator.

There's nothing wrong with a hard fought tie during the regular season. In fact, it can poetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          My point is that the B10HC was going to happen whether Barry flapped his gums or not or even whether Barry is a complete tool or not.

Even if it didn't happen on the current timeline, it would have 5 or 10 years down the line.
          My problem isn't with the effect of the formation of the BTHC, it's the underlying reason for the conference's formation: pure, unabashed greed.

Add to that all of the other changes which are not being made in an effort to improve the game. I feel that I'm justified in being indignant if they are going to act so carelessly and negligently as to completely disregard the collateral damage because it will grow revenue by 10%. The ends never justify the means, if those means are less than honorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            My problem isn't with the effect of the formation of the BTHC, it's the underlying reason for the conference's formation: pure, unabashed greed.

Add to that all of the other changes which are not being made in an effort to improve the game. I feel that I'm justified in being indignant if they are going to act so carelessly and negligently as to completely disregard the collateral damage because it will grow revenue by 10%. The ends never justify the means, if those means are less than honorable.
            Absolutely you are and I agree with most of what you're saying. I just see it from a slightly different angle and have chosen to move on. I know you're a big fan of the team and I'm pretty sure that you will stick with them too once the dust settles.

I live on the far west side of Madison in a home that 15 years ago wasn't here and where there was instead rolling farmland. About 17 years ago I used to drive out here and grip about how all of this (rural area) was going to disappear and turn into strip malls and subdivisions.

I worried about what was to be lost and railed against change. Then I had a moment of clarity and realized that it was inevitable and that I couldn't worry about it because I couldn't stop it. Or maybe I just gave up.

Death, taxes, urban sprawl and a B10HC.

BTW - absolutely LOVE my house and where I live!

Comment

True, that! I guess it's just a matter of time before every program gets busted for something or other. That's why it's a little hard to gloat over tOSU's current problems. I haven't forgotten the Shoe Box scandal. Still will NEVER shop there. See, I can be petty too. Plus they have all that Cardinal crap all over the place. Haven't forgotten 1982 either!

Back to Darth Alvarez...

We've been hearing rumblings about this for years now, even as far back as 2005, when Barry didn't even know we had a hockey team, so it's not like it was his idea.

The Badgers in the WCHA was basically a dead man walking and whether we got 5 more years of it or 10 more years of it, what ultimately is the difference?

I don't like it. It's not what I grew up with. It's not our tradition.

All things change though. We don't play at the Coliseum any more. Chicago Stadium is a parking lot. The North Stars are in Dallas. What are ya gonna do?

I *****ed for a bit and now I've moved on and I'm really getting tired of the complete obsession that USCHO has for this issue (not just our thread). I understand why it was topical, but it's now just rehashing to the point of madness.
              Instead of complaining and getting all angry I have come to accept it and move on. It is easier on my heart.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I think I missed something. So you guys are starting to dislike Badger football because of the changes that are happening to the hockey program, changes which you attribute mostly to Alvarez?

Alvarez has been out front and vocal about the B10HC, but it's awfully simplistic to think that he made it happen or even that he's the main reason that it happened.

There were a lot of moving parts, some with more power and influence than our beloved AD, who contributed to the current state of affairs.

What's next, avoiding restaurants that Barry frequents or avoiding the area that he lives (assuming of course that you can get past the gate )?

If you want to hate on football, do it because of the coke-snorting, late-night partying, wind-breaker wearing, redneck, dumb-*** CURRENT head coach.

Me? I separate all things as much as possible and am an 18 year season ticket holder for football and hope this new QB lives up to his potential.
                no, if you read my posts I allude however cryptically to the fact that I don't like Alvarez' love of $ over integrity. so add that to "I'm not a hockey guy" and his hesitation with the practice facility and ****ing off alumni, and his look the other way attitude toward the current football coach grabbing waitress asses, getting so drunk in lancaster, wi w/the radio color guy for Iowa football that they had to call people in madison to pick him up (yeah, said radio guy for Iowa was consequently fired), his presence and pressure behind the B10 hockey conference, and now this idiotic scheduling idea and you've got the gist of it.

get rid of alvarez and bb, and I'll care exponentially more about wisconsin football.
                Last edited by solovsfett; 07-02-2011, 04:47 PM.
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Absolutely you are and I agree with most of what you're saying. I just see it from a slightly different angle and have chosen to move on. I know you're a big fan of the team and I'm pretty sure that you will stick with them too once the dust settles.
                  I will stick with the Badgers, no question; but the strength of my affection towards the athletic program is greatly reduced and will remain that way, at a minimum, for as long as Alvarez remains the AD. Once he leaves but not one day before, the healing may being.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    no, if you read my posts I allude however cryptically to the fact that I don't like Alvarez' love of $ over integrity. so add that to "I'm not a hockey guy" and his hesitation with the practice facility and ****ing off alumni, and his look the other way attitude toward the current football coach grabbing waitress asses, getting so drunk in lancaster, wi w/the radio color guy for Iowa football that they had to call people in madison to pick him up (yeah, said radio guy for Iowa was consequently fired), his presence and pressure behind the B10 hockey conference, and now this idiotic scheduling idea and you've got the gist of it.

get rid of alvarez and bb, and I'll care exponentially more about wisconsin football.
                    Fair enough, but BBs idiocy goes back much further.

I play hockey with buddies on Thursday nights and sometimes we'll hit a bar on the way home and since we start at 9 or later, it's late when we arrive at the bar.

During BB's season as D-coord, he was in Alt n' Bach's when we arrived there and stayed till closing on this particular Thursday night. Two days later, Northwestern put up 50+ on us. i was kind of thinking his time could have been better spent.

A real close friend of mine who frequents the Crystal Corner because he enjoys cola
                    has said that BB used to go there all the time because he also likes cola. This was supported by others who were also there although I do NOT like cola, so was never there to see it myself.

There are many other stories...

none of which will make me dislike the team or players as the team and the program are bigger than one coach or AD.

Comment

Fair enough, but BBs idiocy goes back much further.

I play hockey with buddies on Thursday nights and sometimes we'll hit a bar on the way home and since we start at 9 or later, it's late when we arrive at the bar.

During BB's season as D-coord, he was in Alt n' Bach's when we arrived there and stayed till closing on this particular Thursday night. Two days later, Northwestern put up 50+ on us. i was kind of thinking his time could have been better spent.

A real close friend of mine who frequents the Crystal Corner because he enjoys cola
                      has said that BB used to go there all the time because he also likes cola. This was supported by others who were also there although I do NOT like cola, so was never there to see it myself.

There are many other stories...

none of which will make me dislike the team or players as the team and the program are bigger than one coach or AD.
                      fair points for sure. I mean I am being a bit petulant when it comes to souring on the football team because of all we've been discussing.

wow though. BB's behavior is worse than I thought...far worse it seems...eesh

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

fair points for sure. I mean I am being a bit petulant when it comes to souring on the football team because of all we've been discussing.

wow though. BB's behavior is worse than I thought...far worse it seems...eesh

Guy's a world class d-bag no doubt. My wife simply calls him "The Tool."

There's the Dotty's story after he became head coach also...

Comment

"I'm not a hockey guy" and his hesitation with the practice facility.
                          These are the 2 things that have started edging me towards distaining him. He's the AD at a school where hockey has more positive tradition than any other sport. You know what Barry, become a hockey guy. YOUR school has it, the men's program (not at all discounting the women's program, just focusing on the long term men here) has won more n/c's than FB and BB will ever win combined. Embrace it like a true leader of a world class organization should.

Practice facility....he basically tells the Alumni to give UW more money or it's not getting done. Period. See above.

And, agreeing with Almington, the whole basis for the B11 hockey league is greed, of which BA is not immune from. And greed is a huge reason this counrty is so eff'ed up right now.

Obviously, this discussion isn't going to change anything, we all know that, it's just an interesting discussion to fill the empty space of the summer.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            These are the 2 things that have started edging me towards distaining him. He's the AD at a school where hockey has more positive tradition than any other sport. You know what Barry, become a hockey guy. YOUR school has it, the men's program (not at all discounting the women's program, just focusing on the long term men here) has won more n/c's than FB and BB will ever win combined. Embrace it like a true leader of a world class organization should.

Practice facility....he basically tells the Alumni to give UW more money or it's not getting done. Period. See above.

And, agreeing with Almington, the whole basis for the B11 hockey league is greed, of which BA is not immune from. And greed is a huge reason this counrty is so eff'ed up right now.

Obviously, this discussion isn't going to change anything, we all know that, it's just an interesting discussion to fill the empty space of the summer.
                            Right on TimothyA - that quote was the final straw for me. I mean I can't imagine an AD at say North Carolina saying "yeah, I'm not a Lacrosse guy", or UMiami "yeah, I'm not a swimming guy"

I mean when you're AD you run the ENTIRE Athletic Department not just football and bounceball. If you dislike or don't get certain sports you should not EVER state so publicly. jesus Barry is a tool. also, how does he suspect the two hockey coaches and all the players feel about him now?

oh wait, he doesn't care.
                            Last edited by solovsfett; 07-03-2011, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Can the season please start...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                                Can the season please start...
                                In alumni news......Brian Elloitt to St. Loius, Joudrey to Columbus, Dowell to Dallas.....Good move for Dowell, now I can go back to hating the Hawks 100%. Sorry Hawks fans, we all can't love all the same teams. Conversely, man I hate Dallas, but there's 2Badgers there now, what's a guy to do? Elloitt....I really don't follow the NHL too much, what is their goaltending situation?

I see the UW tweaked their website. The Sr's are off the roster now, but the Fr aren't on yet.

I can't wait to see Rumpel in net. I'm really looking forward to a taller guy (6-3) between the pipes, a little less room up top.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X