X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    From what I have heard, it will be significant, and was exactly why some schools (including Wisconsin) were pushing so hard for the Big Ten Hockey Conference. I guess we'll see.

Enough advocating for the BTHC for me as it's making me sick. I don't doubt that you know more about Alverez and his commitment to the UW hockey programs than I do. I was just trying to interject another viewpoint.

Thanks for the discussion.
    Who knows, maybe the BTHC will be a huge success and I'll get to sit here and look like an even bigger idiot.

In spite of his success as a football coach, I've never been a fan of Alvarez as a person. How he has acted towards the hockey program since taking over as AD has only reinforced my poor opinion of him. But it is only my opinion and many badger fans strongly disagree with it.

It was a good discussion. Have a safe 4th of July weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      Who knows, maybe the BTHC will be a huge success and I'll get to sit here and look like an even bigger idiot.

In spite of his success as a football coach, I've never been a fan of Alvarez as a person. How he has acted towards the hockey program since taking over as AD has only reinforced my poor opinion of him. But it is only my opinion and many badger fans strongly disagree with it.

You too

Comment

Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
        What is the point of all this? It's summer time and you people don't have anyhting better to do then *****.

Some of you will never be happy no matter what happens. UW has one of the best programs for hockey men's and woman's in the county. Come to the games in person and support them. Leave the moaning out of it.
        There's no question about that at all. No other team in Dane County can skate with the Badgers.

Comment

Football is top dog, but hockey is still a revenue producing sport and although it isn't as valuable as basketball (because of the TV contract) it is treated no better than the majority of the non-revenue producing sports inspite of the fact that it brings in 12,000 fans a game and overall revenue of over 5 million a season. The way that Alvarez treats the program is a joke given its history and statue. Any AD would be thrilled to have a program that pays for both itself, the comporable womans program, and still brings in a 7-figure check to help pay for other finctions of the athletic department. Stupid and short-sighted, plain and simple.
          That but a drop in the bucket compared to football and basketball though.
          A Badger living in Buckeye country.
          Originally posted by MadCityRich
          He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
          Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
          "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

100% agree.

Since Barry Alvarez took over he's ignored the signature sport at Wisconsin. and let's face facts (for those that back barry) HOCKEY IS the signature sport of the university. no other team sport on that campus has a prayer of a chance to reach 2 national titles (or 1 for football) let alone 6. none. and in the 70's and 80's malaise for football and roundball, hockey was kicking ***, taking names and winning titles.

alvarez is arrogant and pompous and his "I'm not a hockey guy" doesn't sit well with this season ticketholder at all. I didn't like they way he ran the football team and I don't like the way he shafts hockey annually.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              100% agree.

Since Barry Alvarez took over he's ignored the signature sport at Wisconsin. and let's face facts (for those that back barry) HOCKEY IS the signature sport of the university. no other team sport on that campus has a prayer of a chance to reach 2 national titles (or 1 for football) let alone 6. none. and in the 70's and 80's malaise for football and roundball, hockey was kicking ***, taking names and winning titles.

alvarez is arrogant and pompous and his "I'm not a hockey guy" doesn't sit well with this season ticketholder at all. I didn't like they way he ran the football team and I don't like the way he shafts hockey annually.
              I think you'd be hard pressed to find any hockey fans who like Barry's treatment of our program. I also think you'd be hard pressed to get him to care about yours or my feelings on the matter.

The question becomes, what are you (not YOU specifically) going to do about it?

I've already established what I will be doing. I was a fan before Barry was AD and I'll be a fan long after, assuming of course that I outlast him.

As far as it being the "signature sport", it's not any more. It's silly to even think that it is. It certainly was for a good long run before the other two got their legs under them, but a perennial tourney hoops team and perennial bowl team will always outweigh 1 NC every 15 years in this day and age.

Beyond the 15k or so real fans, hockey here is a classic front-runner sport.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                100% agree.

The Badgers have won a bunch of national championships in cross country and rowing, too. I don't think anyone would call them "signature sports" or argue they should be given the attention of football and basketball from the AD.

I asked before but I still am confused. What more should Alvarez be doing? Top coaches, check. Huge budgets, check. Fantastic arena, check. Top flight practice facility, under construction. And he's gone to bat bigtime for the BTHC because he thinks it'll be good for the program. I don't get what he's done to **** everyone off.

Comment

Originally posted by davearm View Post
                  I don't get what he's done to **** everyone off.

If you don't understand why so many, including football and basketball fans, dislike Barry, I can't sum it up for you in the bandwidth available here.

Arrogant SOB will have to suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    If you don't understand why so many, including football and basketball fans, dislike Barry, I can't sum it up for you in the bandwidth available here.

Arrogant SOB will have to suffice.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

I see people got worked up yesterday. Love the activity in this thread.

But, I'm guessing Alvarez doesn't wake up in the morning and say "Hey...what can I do to **** off hockey fans today." If he wasn't the old football coach I suspect many here wouldn't have near the same disdain for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        If he wasn't the old football coach I suspect many here wouldn't have near the same disdain for him.
                        My annoyance with Alvarez might be a little bit childish, Chuck, but it is nowhere near that petty.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I see people got worked up yesterday. Love the activity in this thread.

But, I'm guessing Alvarez doesn't wake up in the morning and say "Hey...what can I do to **** off hockey fans today." If he wasn't the old football coach I suspect many here wouldn't have near the same disdain for him.
                          greatly off base from where I'm coming from. BA could have come directly from notre dame to UW AD (skipping the football coaching part) and I'd feel the same way. he's done nothing but **** off UW hockey fans from the moment he took over from Richter. Richter at least KNEW UW had a hockey team even though he was a "football guy"

for me, I don't care about the difference in revenue generated that's a bit unfair of a comparison because afterall football and roundball are the top 2 sports in the country with baseball 3rd, nascar probably 4th and hockey of any kind a distant 5th at best. I care about national championships. Alvarez can continue his arrogance but hey...ring me up barry when UW football gets to championship #1 cause I don't think they've got a prayer at that, much less 6.

Comment

I may be the exception to the rule on this board as I don't expect all that much from him in regards to hockey and as a businessman myself (setting aside the sports fan), I understand the pecking order within the UW athletic department.

The reason it looks bad on the surface is because of the coincidence of the top cash cow in the program being Barry's sport.

I don't think that hockey has gotten the shaft, so to speak, as much as it's been asked to obtain its improvements within the framework of what it brings in. With the new practice facility, he drew a calculated line in the sand, which was crossed when more donors stepped up.

As far as why I personally can't stand him...

Maybe I'll add some thoughts on that once I get to my office. It's not like anything else is getting done on 4th of July Friday.

Comment

I've looked over the last couple of pages, and haven't noticed a specific discussion about this article from Oates of the WSJ regarding the implications of the BTHC.

http://host.madison.com/sports/colum...cc4c002e0.html

Monday and Wednesday night hockey? Seriously? This is where I start to lose faith in the revenue enhancement for the programs. For UW, I could easily see season ticket sales reductions, and see attendance in the 6-7K range for midweek games. Why risk losing the base of your admittedly niche sport? I find it hard to believe that TV revenue could make that up.

Comment

Originally posted by davearm View Post
                                There's no question about that at all. No other team in Dane County can skate with the Badgers.
                                Very clever of you to be able to read. Despite the spelling the point is there. If you choose to ignore it, so be it. We never seem to be content the way things are.

Comment

Working...
                                X