X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

http://www.freep.com/article/2011052...n-replacement-

News conference scheduled for Wednesday to announce Rafalski retirement. That was fast and out of the blue as everybody was focusing on Lindstrom's status. Below is a reference regarding Smith in the article:

Brendan Smith, Detroit’s first-round pick in 2007, has a shot at making the team, but the Wings prefer to have their prospects be go-to guys in the minor leagues than fifth or sixth defensemen in Detroit.

Internally, Jakub Kindl will most likely get a chance before Smith. Wings will also be going after a free agent defenseman since $6 million is now freed up from Rafalski. Lindstrom's decision may also impact Smith.

Comment

Wisconsin fans rightly pride the University of Wisconsin for the number of graduates and drop outs who have played professional hockey. If priorities and recruiting improve then fans will see a greater percentage of Wisconsin hockey players earning degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
        Wisconsin fans rightly pride the University of Wisconsin for the number of graduates and drop outs who have played professional hockey. If priorities and recruiting improve then fans will see a greater percentage of Wisconsin hockey players earning degrees.
        Many Wisconsin hockey players that leave early to play professional hockey return to Madison to earn degrees. This summer Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh from the New York Rangers will be working towards their degrees.

Are you an idiot all the time or just when you invade our threads?

Comment

Chuck, you should know by now that this isn't going to be a productive discourse.

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
            A note on possible BTHC playoff formats; also, side effect of leaving WCHA - we can no longer schedule the Sioux, on account of them being the Sioux.

Link
            If NoDak doesn't get an exception on grounds of being a traditional rival, or on the same basis that we can play FSU in the "interlocking" B1G-ACC bouncyball showdown, then I think that pretty much says everything we've ever needed to know about the way Alvarez and company view hockey.

And osorojo's a nimrod. What's new?
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
              Many Wisconsin hockey players that leave early to play professional hockey return to Madison to earn degrees. This summer Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh from the New York Rangers will be working towards their degrees.

Are you an idiot all the time or just when you invade our threads?
              Who is "our?"

Comment

If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  If NoDak doesn't get an exception on grounds of being a traditional rival, or on the same basis that we can play FSU in the "interlocking" B1G-ACC bouncyball showdown, then I think that pretty much says everything we've ever needed to know about the way Alvarez and company view hockey.

rights on EODS
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I agree with what you're saying here, but to be clear the FSU matchups may have been "okay" for two reasons: FSU's nickname is "approved" by the states' tribe(s); secondly, I believe ESPN sets the matchups so we are not scheduling FSU per se. All we need is the BTHC to set up a WCHA-BTHC Challenge and schedule accordingly. That...or bring back 'Flickertails'.
                    Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                    Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                    sigpic
                    Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                    1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Wisconsin goes off, "the list." Like icebadger mentioned, FSU is exempt because the tribe has endorsed the use of the name.

Additionally, this part of the policy, "unless the schedule is controlled by outside entities (e.g., the Big Ten Conference) or is the result of other contractual agreements"....means that because the Big Ten schedules the Big Ten/ACC Challenge they can play FSU in that.

No where in the policy (updated in 2007) does it state anything about traditional rivals. Todd Milewski told me that there was originally language in the policy for traditional rivals so that Wisconsin could keep playing Marquette. Marquette updated their name in 1994. As far as I can tell, the traditional rivals clause is no longer in the policy.

Comment

Additionally, this part of the policy, "unless the schedule is controlled by outside entities (e.g., the Big Ten Conference) or is the result of other contractual agreements"....means that because the Big Ten schedules the Big Ten/ACC Challenge they can play FSU in that.
                        So, technically, as long as it is part of an agreement with the WCHA to play all the teams, UW would still be able to play UND.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          So, technically, as long as it is part of an agreement with the WCHA to play all the teams, UW would still be able to play UND.
                          Yeah, that makes sense to me.

Comment

So with Pavs and Heater out of the race for the cup, UW has no more former players (who did or did not graduate )fighting for the cup, correct?
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense to me.
                              So, when UW refuses to play UND even if the games are scheduled though an agreement with the WCHA, I'm just gonna stop giving any money to the University at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                                So, when UW refuses to play UND even if the games are scheduled though an agreement with the WCHA, I'm just gonna stop giving any money to the University at all.
                                Looking at it a little deeper I'm not 100% sure a WCHA/Big Ten scheduling agreement would fit in necessarily.

The Athletic Department discourages participation of teams in pre-season events or tournaments during the regular season in which schools on the NCAA list are also participating, unless the schedule is controlled by outside entities (e.g., the Big Ten Conference) or is the result of other contractual agreements.
                                That is the language in the policy in question. It fits the qualifications for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge but I'm not sure it would fit a WCHA/Big Ten scheduling agreement.

Comment

Working...
                                X