This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

I realize the "new" WCHA may be a poorer one and that money buys facilities and talent, among other things. But as a Sioux fan I will sorely miss the rivalries with the gophers and Badgers. They will have interconference games, but it won't be the same. I can see why Sioux fans will regret the loss more than gopher or badger fans will, but it is a loss for all three programs IMO.

Hopefully the next two years will see all three beating each other up for the big hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
      So I wrote up a wordy response to the thread but decided against it. I think you should take a step back and realize that anything negative said on this thread is about the Big 10. Comments may appear to be attacks on Wisconsin or Wisconsin fans, but I doubt they truly are.
      I understand that, but an attack on the B10 IS an attack on all the member schools. I think that the more rational of fans of the B10 schools will admit that the B10 isn't perfect and that those schools left behind do have a reason to be unhappy and resentful, but that in many cases it comes across as whining and sour grapes because UW and UMN are looking out for their own long term best interests.

I doubt any team or anyone, with the exception of Donald Dunlop (he has his own perverse reasons), thinks the WCHA is better off without you.
      I doubt that their is any consensus amongst fans of UW and UMN that the formation of the B10 conference is going to be good for those schools either. I'm not sure that it is going to be better in the short term, but I think that it is time for all parties to move on.

I stand by my assertion that in many ways the WCHA brought this on themselves by failing to actually assert leadership both on and off the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
        I will say that I'm going to miss going to the F5 at the X every year, can't see the WCHA championship staying their once UW and UMN leave, just won't have the consistent and large fan base to purchase 5 game ticket package for $160.
        I think that is going to be a big problem for the WCHA. Without Minnesota or Wisconsin I can't see the tourny continuing at the X. Denver (the community) doesn't support college hockey well enough to play the tourny at the Pepsi Center. So where do you go? REA is your largest, best chance venue for $$$ at the gate, but you think people complain about Minnesota and home ice now at the X......

So seriously, where does a WCHA without UMN and UW hold its tourny???????
        Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
        I doubt any team or anyone, with the exception of Donald Dunlop (he has his own perverse reasons), thinks the WCHA is better off without you. For some of us, it's like getting dumped by your really hot wife who you've been with forever and have sooooo much in common with. Now she's banging the neighbor's son? W-T-F?

The divorce is still pending. We have a few years. Let's enjoy them. Then...life goes on...
        Originally posted by burd View Post
        I realize the "new" WCHA may be a poorer one and that money buys facilities and talent, among other things. But as a Sioux fan I will sorely miss the rivalries with the gophers and Badgers. They will have interconference games, but it won't be the same. I can see why Sioux fans will regyret the loss more than gopher or badger fans will, but it is a loss for all three programs IMO.

Hopefully the next two years will see all three beating each other up for the big hardware.
        Yeah, pretty much what the two above said.
        sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by samboni View Post
          I also was listening and I don't think the announcers were bashing the Big 10....only pointing out the fact that only one big 10 team is still alive. No way to get around the fact having only one big 10 team still alive does not reflect well upon the "big boys" from the big 10.
          Well, give it a few years and watch how the BTHC develops, especially considering the BTN television coverage. This move for a BTHC is about $$$...the BTN will most definitely provide much better TV coverage of the BTHC and advertising revenues will roll in. Those revenues will be shared with the schools and the hockey programs...and ultimately better facilities, etc. Not only that, but it will be great exposure for those kids playing in the BTHC.

Personally, I think it's a great move...yeah, it's sketchy now, and there will be some growing pains...but in the long run, this will work out quite well for those in the BTHC.

Comment

My vote would be to put the championship in Chicago and leave it alone.
            This has my vote as well, especially if they make sure it's always the weekend they dye the river.

Comment

I realize the "new" WCHA may be a poorer one and that money buys facilities and talent, among other things. But as a Sioux fan I will sorely miss the rivalries with the gophers and Badgers. They will have interconference games, but it won't be the same. I can see why Sioux fans will regret the loss more than gopher or badger fans will, but it is a loss for all three programs IMO.
              Originally posted by Bullitt View Post
              Well, give it a few years and watch how the BTHC develops, especially considering the BTN television coverage. This move for a BTHC is about $$$...the BTN will most definitely provide much better TV coverage of the BTHC and advertising revenues will roll in. Those revenues will be shared with the schools and the hockey programs...and ultimately better facilities, etc. Not only that, but it will be great exposure for those kids playing in the BTHC.

Personally, I think it's a great move...yeah, it's sketchy now, and there will be some growing pains...but in the long run, this will work out quite well for those in the BTHC.
              I think that what bothers most fans about the B10 conference (myself included) is that tradition and history is being sacrificed to the almighty dollar and the potential of the bigger paydays for 6 schools at the expense of everyone else.

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
              I think that is going to be a big problem for the WCHA. Without Minnesota or Wisconsin I can't see the tourny continuing at the X. Denver (the community) doesn't support college hockey well enough to play the tourny at the Pepsi Center. So where do you go? REA is your largest, best chance venue for $$$ at the gate, but you think people complain about Minnesota and home ice now at the X......

So seriously, where does a WCHA without UMN and UW hold its tourny???????
              I think the nWCHA needs to go with REA and the payday. Their just isn't a good 10-12k areana in the west/midwest to act as neutral site.

Comment

My vote would be to put the championship in Chicago and leave it alone.
                I think I would be down with an annual trip to Chicago for the Bi6 10 tournament.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. the rivalries to me between the triumvarate of hate means more to me than effing michigan/msu/osu/psu (the four of whom can take flying eff at the moon as far as hockey is concerned for me)

sigh
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I understand that, but an attack on the B10 IS an attack on all the member schools. I think that the more rational of fans of the B10 schools will admit that the B10 isn't perfect and that those schools left behind do have a reason to be unhappy and resentful, but that in many cases it comes across as whining and sour grapes because UW and UMN are looking out for their own long term best interests. .
                    groupthink... enjoy...
                    Originally posted by vizoroo
                    Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                    Originally posted by duper
                    I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                    Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                    Originally posted by dggoddard
                    Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

I don't think that's true at all. I'd never say this in public, but just between me an you, Badger fans will greatly miss the rivalry with the Sioux.

Have fun losing to BC in the NCAA's, you losers.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                        What power should we pay attention to, INCH which has us 18th or USCHO which has us 24th.
                        Neither matters...seasons over.

Comment

What teams are the Badger fans pulling for? I would like to see Duluth finally raise the title banner, but I hate to say it I think UND will win it all this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                            Neither matters...seasons over.
                            Thought I'd bring it up. Haha
                            WISCONSIN BADGERS
                            NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                            WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                            WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                            B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                            Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

No surprise, Gardiner is gone per the NANR Blog. As far as anyone else staying/going, I will not count anyone in on their word (people have been known to change their minds, and that's ok), or lack there of, just see who shows up ay the start of school next year and see how Eaves lines the boys up.

I'm rooting for UAA all the way at the F5.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I have to say being in the same league with the Sioux has always made it great fun. The history UMN and UW and UND is priceless.

Comment

Working...
                                X