X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    Johnson wasn't the head coach, but WAS the head recruiter. the talent was dwindling quickly. Also, he wasn't traveling. I mean Shuckuk just went to Connecticut and British Columbia in one week!, and Johnson didn't travel once his final year. not once.
    Thanks for the info, I had heard he didn't travel much, yet he was the main recruiter. I also think he's more of a players coach (from listening to interviews of his and of his players), than Eaves, who is pretty much the iron fisted dictator (in a good way). I've always wondered how he's such a great recruiter for the women's team. Does the talent come to him because of his success? There is a recruting questionaire to fill out @ UW Badgers for the women's team. I'd still look at Johnson, it's 10 yrs later, maybe things would be different.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I'd argue recruiting for the women's team is MUCH easier.

- UW came in when there were really 2 powers. UMN, and UMD, so less competition albeit for a smaller pool of recruits
      - no risk of early departure whatsoever

I don't know. It would take A LOT to sell me on MJ. call me cynical
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

- UW came in when there were really 2 powers. UMN, and UMD, so less competition albeit for a smaller pool of recruits

Lets hope that it doesn't have to come to trying to sell you.

Comment

A name that popped up this week on the Wild’s coaching search: UW’s Mike Eaves, who has NHL experience.-Mike Max LINK

Personally like others have said I don't see Eaves leaving for a while but if he did I don't think MJ would be my guy either. And that's no offense to MJ I just think there are other options out there that I would prefer. Gwoz, Oz, Hynes, Blasi, and Rolston would all be higher on my list and that's just off the top of my head. Didn't Jeff Jackson apply for the UW job when Eaves got it as well?

Comment

I wouldnt be a fan of MJ coaching the mens' team either. We need someone who is an, "iron-fisted dictator" to give the boys a kick in the backside when they need it. MJ is just a bit too laid-back, which works fine for the ladies but doesnt work for the guys.
            Lets hope that we dont have to worry about Eaves leaving UW for a long, long time. To go coach the Wild would be a huge mistake for Eaves, IMO. That organization has absolutely no hope of winning a Stanley Cup in the near future, if ever.
            A Badger living in Buckeye country.
            Originally posted by MadCityRich
            He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
            Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
            "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
              To go coach the Wild would be a huge mistake for Eaves, IMO. That organization has absolutely no hope of winning a Stanley Cup in the near future, if ever.
              I think Eaves had more to work with when he came to UW then the Wild have in their system currently (at least on a relative basis). They are early enough along in a rebuilding mode hat now would be the time to start as coach so that he can get them to learn and buy into his system. Give that Richards was the fall guy for the failure of the whole organization, I wouldn't want a job with that organization.
              Last edited by Almington; 04-28-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

As much as it pains me to say it: the Wild are a disaster right now. How they have so little depth at pretty much every position is just beyond me. The Havlat signing was one of the best they've ever had, and it, along with the prime of Mikko Koivu's career, is just getting wasted on a talentless team.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  As much as it pains me to say it: the Wild are a disaster right now. How they have so little depth at pretty much every position is just beyond me. The Havlat signing was one of the best they've ever had, and it, along with the prime of Mikko Koivu's career, is just getting wasted on a talentless team.
                  The Wild have drafted TWO players who have played in an NHL all-star game, EVER. Two! They have drafted a total of 84 players and TWO have made an all-star game! TWO!

When your first round picks from 2004-2009 are:
                  2004 12 A. J. Thelen 0 NHL games
                  2005 4 Benoît Pouliot 9-9-18 in 65 NHL games w/ Wild before being traded to the Canadians in exchange for Guillaume Latendresse
                  2006 9 James Sheppard 11-38-47 in 224 NHL games; Didn't play in 2010-11 because of a knee injury while ATVing.
                  2007 16 Colton Gillies 3-5-8 in 52 NHL games, Currently playing for the Huston Aeros
                  2008 23 Tyler Cuma Yet to make the NHL, Currently playing for the Huston Aeros
                  2009 16 Nick Leddy NHL rights traded to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for Cam Barker

In other words, yuck. The later rounds are even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                    The Wild have drafted TWO players who have played in an NHL all-star game, EVER. Two! They have drafted a total of 84 players and TWO have made an all-star game! TWO!

When your first round picks from 2004-2009 are:
                    2004 12 A. J. Thelen 0 NHL games
                    2005 4 Benoît Pouliot 9-9-18 in 65 NHL games w/ Wild before being traded to the Canadians in exchange for Guillaume Latendresse
                    2006 9 James Sheppard 11-38-47 in 224 NHL games; Didn't play in 2010-11 because of a knee injury while ATVing.
                    2007 16 Colton Gillies 3-5-8 in 52 NHL games, Currently playing for the Huston Aeros
                    2008 23 Tyler Cuma Yet to make the NHL, Currently playing for the Huston Aeros
                    2009 16 Nick Leddy NHL rights traded to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for Cam Barker

In other words, yuck. The later rounds are even worse.
                    When your best first round pick since 2004 is traded to Chicago before he ever signed a pro deal you have issues.

Comment

I'm not shedding any tears over the Wild sucking. I'm a big fan of it and rather enjoy it. But that's just me, the biggest rodentsota hater of all time. Too bad some of my fellow UW fans are flawed. Certainly my insane level of Wisconsin homerism is healthy, right?
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        I'm not shedding any tears over the Wild sucking. I'm a big fan of it and rather enjoy it. But that's just me, the biggest rodentsota hater of all time. Too bad some of my fellow UW fans are flawed. Certainly my insane level of Wisconsin homerism is healthy, right?
                        We're (The Hawks) happy to have Leddy as he looks like he will be good.

I don't hate the Wild like I used to loathe the North Stars, but I also know that most Wild fans are also Viking fans and many are also Gopher fans. So their incompetence makes my inner-butterfly soar.

Comment

Johnson didn't travel once his final year. not once.
                          Just curious, but what is your connection to the UW program and how do you know this.

Comment

Eaves contract extended through 2016 and Johnson extended through 2015. Glad to have two of the best hockey coaches in the country locked up for an extended period of time.

Comment

TJBadgerfan - it was reported in the Wisconsin State Journal, IIRC.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                most Wild fans are also Viking fans and many are also Gopher fans. So their incompetence makes my inner-butterfly soar.
                                God, now that you point that out, that's a lot of suckdom. How do you suppose they manage it? I mean, they must have their lucid moments when all seems lost.

Comment

Working...
                                X