Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yale Hockey 2011 the Post-Season thread: AC, Harbor Yard, and ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yale Hockey 2011 the Post-Season thread: AC, Harbor Yard, and ....

Over the past 3 years those of us living in the New Haven area (and those willing to drive further) have had the distinct privilage of seeing the dramatic transformation of Yale Hockey into a top ECAC squad and now a national contender.

2 years ago, I viewed winning the Cleary Cup and ECAC Championship as a great success, the NCAAs was a bonus. Last year, repeating as Cleary Cup winners, and then winning a first round NCAA game vs. North Dakota before falling to BC was also a great success. This year, it is clear that not only do our dreams, but now also our expectations too, extend well beyond Atlantic City and Harbor Yard.

While we all like to think that Yale Hockey will continue at the level we have seen over the past 3 years, it is undeniable that this year's team is something special which we may not see for a while, and certainly cannot take for granted. We have unbelievable senior leadership, NCAA experience, and the benefit being a top seed going forward this playoff season. With that, let's look ahead.

First off, this game with Colgate is HUGE.
    A win (and as far as I can tell) we will be the #1 overall seed in the NCAAs which means we play the #16 seed. While #16 will still be tough and nothing to take for granted, a loss vs. Colgate, and we likely drop to #2/#3 overall which means our first round game is likely significantly more difficult. Having played in big games, and knowing the importance of beating Colgate, I'm sure we won't overlook them. If we survive Colgate, I'm pretty sure that even if we lost the ECAC championship we will still be overall #1 seed.

Lastly, while this weekend's series was ugly in many aspects, I couldn't be happier about the way the Little/Kearney/Limbert line played. They started the year on fire, but then struggled as O'Neill/Cahill/Miller carried us. When we have those two lines clicking, this team can fly with the best of them.

....for now it's one step at a time.....
    -------------
    Yale University 2013 National Champs

Re: Yale Hockey 2011 the Post-Season thread: AC, Harbor Yard, and ....

This year, it is clear that not only do our dreams, but now also our expectations too, extend well beyond Atlantic City and Harbor Yard.

While we all like to think that Yale Hockey will continue at the level we have seen over the past 3 years, it is undeniable that this year's team is something special which we may not see for a while, and certainly cannot take for granted. We have unbelievable senior leadership, NCAA experience, and the benefit being a top seed going forward this playoff season.
    I could not agree more with your sentiments and I have been trying to temper my expectations somewhat since I just don't know what is realistic to expect going forward in this season. I have come to the conclusion that I would consider this season a great success if Yale advances to the Frozen Four. I believe that is the next logical step for the program to take, given the results of last year, the fact that we will be a 1 seed, and the location of the Regional just down the road in Bridgeport. Any achievement beyond that would be wonderful, magical even, but I don't think we can expect it, given the teams I would envision us opposing in the Frozen Four. Now that is not to suggest that I don't believe we can win the whole enchilada, because I do, but in the big picture, no reasonable Yale fan would be justified in seeing the season as a failure, if we fall short of the Championship.

On the other hand, I believe that this is our year to win the championship, given the size and skill of the senior class, and the progression that the core of this team has made on a national level. I have no doubt that Yale hockey will be consistently excellent from year to year going forward, but this year is truly a unique moment in time that must be seized, since it may not come again for a long while. If you need any evidence of that, look to UND, who has not won an NCAA Championship since 2000.

So I am left with the tension of hoping and believing that Yale will be on top when the sticks and pucks are put away on April 9th, but not dismissing this team's considerable achievements if they should fall short of that goal.

If anyone needs encouragement, I suggest you go the New Haven Register online and take particular note of the comments of some of the core players. These guys have the correct mental approach as the season winnows to a one and done format. That, more than anything, fortifies my belief that this team has an excellent chance of reaching their ultimate goal.

Comment

CONGRATS to Yale on a second ECAC Championship!

Originally posted by LTsatch
      I would have to say that Little and Agostino got a raw deal on this one.

The ECAC announced its three All-League teams and its All-Rookie
      What about Rondeau (best GAA in all of College Hockey) who was not even on any of the 3 All-League teams.
      -------------

Comment

congrats on a great tournament...good luck in the nationals...

Comment

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
          What about Rondeau (best GAA in all of College Hockey) who was not even on any of the 3 All-League teams.
          Rondeau would have to be a good pick for MVP of the ECAC tourney, if there is such an award.

Comment

Congratulations and thank you for winning the ECAC championship! If you plan on going out to celebrate, try to find an RPI fan, he will likely pay your tab.

Comment

Congrats and Thanks.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Eph72 View Post
                Rondeau would have to be a good pick for MVP of the ECAC tourney, if there is such an award.
                There is and he was....although not sure anyone was in the rink to see him get it.
                -------------

Comment

Congrats to Yale on the championship and best of luck in the tourney!
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                  East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                  Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                  Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                  Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

OK, FlagDude... I went out and got drunk, but, wouldn't you know it, not an RPI fan to be found. (To be fair, everybody was watching bouncing round things.) You owe me one. Now... go out and beat UND. We did it last year, so I know it's feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
                      There is and he was....although not sure anyone was in the rink to see him get it.
                      What a great evening in AC! Yale outskated, outhustled and certainly outplayed Cornell from the first puck drop. On the downside, Cornell's frustration was obvious and proved dangerous, as Trentowski's shoulder injury illustrated. We are lucky lucky lucky that he wasn't hurt more badly and was able to get back on the ice. Rondeau was terrific and was named MVP - three successive shutouts.

And, amazingly, we silenced the Cornell fans. They looked absolutely stricken for the second and third periods.
                      Go Blue!

Comment

Exactly right, Yale84. And I will now make a drunken confession -- I lacked the faith to really want Yale to go to AC. I was going to be satisfied with the #1 seed in the NCAA. I was gloriously, gloriously wrong. That was great fun to watch, and so long as Trentowski is OK, valuable experience. And, as I said above, to dominate Cornell like that, well... time for another Bourbon before bed.

Comment

Boy, Talk about great timing for the 1,000th post of the season thread! What a complete tournament by the Eli! They had one bad game against SLU and never looked back. Rondeau has been extremely steady and was well deserving of the ECAC MVP award. I was soooo glad to read that Trentowski was able to return tonight. I was monitoring the game at a family event via the score update forum on my phone , and I said to my friend, Yale is up 5-0 in the second period, I hope Cornell doesn't kill anyone, and a minute later someone posted that Trent was off to the locker room.

It looks like AFA coming up, and we owe them a good old Bridgeport smog induced beating. That team is built VERY much like Yale and are speedy to the puck and the net. Knowing your enemy may help in this case.

Any chance of a little USCHO tailgate before the first game on Friday? If the same tradition holds true at the venue, once you are in, you may not leave. The games are at 3pm and 6:30 pm each day. Maybe we could do a little pot luck lunch and libation in the parking lot from noon until game time? Just a thought. If this is not feasible it seemed that most fans ended up at Ralph's and Rich's www.ralphnrichsct.com before the games two years ago, maybe meet there instead. The place is basically a traditional Italian Rest. with a decent sized bar, not really suited for a large crowd though. Let me know what everyone thinks, if another ECAC team ends up in BPT, maybe a get together would be in order?
                          *****http://www.ralphnrichsct.com/images/gallery/rnr_Layer%2010.jpg******

Congratulations Yale on the tournament win!
                          Last edited by LTsatch; 03-20-2011, 02:05 AM.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Another great link

http://mappery.com/map-of/Arena-at-H...estaurants-Map
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Congrats, Yale. You guys have an outstanding team this year and in spite of some of the WCHA and HEA naysayers, there is no question that Yale can play with anybody in the country.

Should be a very interesting rematch with Air Force. When they played earlier, AFA was really struggling to find their way, and that win gave them a huge building block for what ended up being an unexpectedly strong season. Freshman Goaltender Jason Torf had his first career start in that game and for the most part has been unbelievable in goal ever since. Jacques Lamoureax has scored in eight straight games and could be a top one or two line player on any team. The blue liners Tim Kirby and Scott Mathis have been outstanding and also bring a bit of offense into the equation, especially on the PP. Air Force is fast, deep, and will outwork every opponent they play, which is why they win. In terms of weaknesses, the biggest one for AFA is their PK, which is only 77%. If Yale can force AFA into some penalties, it could be a rough night for AFA. That said, AFA plays very disciplined hockey, so they won't often take ill advised penalties.

Yale is better overall in terms of skill and talent, and if they can match the intensity that AFA plays with for 60 minutes, they are likely to win. That, however, is a tall task, and makes AFA a really tough team to play against in a one and done scenario. I was at the AFA vs. Yale game this year, and Yale looked a bit worn down by the third period, while AFA still looked fresh. Air Force kept attacking while Yale became somewhat passive, and that also caused Yale to take some penalties in the 3rd period that they would not normally take.

This should be a great game!
                              Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                              -dggoddard

Comment

Working...
                              X