Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yale Hockey 2011 the Post-Season thread: AC, Harbor Yard, and ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yale Hockey 2011 the Post-Season thread: AC, Harbor Yard, and ....

I wanted to come in here and congratulate Yale on a remarkable season. While many of us in Sioux nation gave you plenty of grief (myself included) during the regular season, I hope you realize it was only because of how good of a team you had. I'm sure it is disappointing to end the season this way, but there aren't many programs in the country that have been to consecutive Regional Finals (Yale, Michigan and New Hampshire) in the past two seasons. You have a very good coach, and play a very fun style of play. Again, Yale had a great season, and should not hang their heads over the loss. Congratulations on a wonderful program that you are building, and I'm sure we'll be seeing more of you in the coming years.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      I wanted to come in here and congratulate Yale on a remarkable season. While many of us in Sioux nation gave you plenty of grief (myself included) during the regular season, I hope you realize it was only because of how good of a team you had. I'm sure it is disappointing to end the season this way, but there aren't many programs in the country that have been to consecutive Regional Finals (Yale, Michigan and New Hampshire) in the past two seasons. You have a very good coach, and play a very fun style of play. Again, Yale had a great season, and should not hang their heads over the loss. Congratulations on a wonderful program that you are building, and I'm sure we'll be seeing more of you in the coming years.
      Much appreciated. We were truly honored to beat you guys last year and we all know that we will never have the program you do. Thank you for a classy post and good luck to you guys in Saint Paul.
      Yale Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by yalebulldogfan View Post
        Much appreciated. We were truly honored to beat you guys last year and we all know that we will never have the program you do. Thank you for a classy post and good luck to you guys in Saint Paul.
        They still have to beat Denver tomorrow to get to St. Paul, which as we saw in the WCHA Championship game is no easy task.
        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

I will also say congrats on a good season. I do believe that Yale will remain in the tourney for a while.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Kudos to you guys on a great season and run in the tourney. I know we will be facing another tough Eli team next season in the league. Maybe we can do better than the lone tie on your record this year
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Colgate fan here

I was rooting for Yale to represent ECACHL in the Frozen Four.

You have a great program and will continue to have success because of your coach, the great atmosphere at your home games, and the fact that Yale is Yale.

If I was a Yale fan I would be incensed at the call on O'Neill. We all have seen bad calls and calls we have deemed the worst we ever saw. But this really was under all the circumstances the worst call I ever saw. An NCAA tourney game, and the ref throws out Yale's best guy for what at worst worst worst was a charge--and it wasn't even a charge.

What can the NCAA do about this officiating. It demeans the game. Not just that absurd call on O'Neill, but also handing Michigan an OT win on a goal that no one knows for sure if it ever crossed the line.

Anyway, a disappointing weekend for the ECAC. I don't understand what happened to Union. When we (Colgate) played them I thought they were great. Yes we beat them but we played our absolute best imaginable hockey for 2 nights and our goalie stood on his head. RPI--I don't get how they got into this tournament. I like their team and love their arena and fans and all, but they were 5th, Dartmouth was 3rd, RPI lost in the first round, Dartmouth made the final 4 ECAC--isn't there any common sense or do they just hand these decisions to a computer? Did Dartmouth do something to anger the NCAA?

Comment

First, Kudos to UMD. They played a great game, no doubt they are a strong team and it is not shameful to lose to them.

I think UMD did a masterful job of taking Yale out of its game and destroying our rhythm. This was manifested in the number of penalites we took, I felt that the guys wanted to match UMD as an aggressive/hitting team, and that not being our normal style of play, it just backfired. I lost count of the penalties.

Of course, like everyone else (including ESPN), I felt the O'Neill hit was clean. I am surprised that even if the refs thought it was worthy of a penalty they would assess a five minute major for it. No doubt it was the turning point in the game, and we will always wonder what might have happened...

My daughter (age 11, who probably went to a dozen games with me this year) asked me if we have witnessed the end of Yale remarkable run over the last few years. What could I say? I don't want to contemplate that, but the amount of talent that has graduated over the last two seasons is immense. I hope Keith can keep working his magic and that one day we can get to the FF if not the championship game.

It was a great season and I always looked forward to reading the posts from the regulars on this thread. I guess I need a new hobby for the next seven months...

Comment

Wow - what an embarrassment for the NCAA and college hockey -

Giving credit where it's due, UMDs top line and special teams were dominant and they buried every chance they got, from a short handed 1st period goal to 4 PP goals in the 2nd.

Yale dominated period 1 (both 5on5 and PP) and generally dominated 5on5 throughout but by the time the refs were done ruining the game half way thru the second, nothing mattered. I thought refs let 4 or 5 marginal penalties go on UMD in the first - nothing major but they added up - i would have maybe called one - there were two trips, a hook and face mask that turned a guy's head and body. Even so Yale had several first period PPs with very good pressure, one of which lead to a 2on1 shorthanded beauty by UMD - that was painful given the lopsided play in period one. Yale's one weakness seemed to be faceoffs and that lead to a point shot PP deflection early in the 2nd to give UMD a 2 zip lead. At that point, given the all the missed calls agst UMD in the first, plus the context of a top seed trailing 2-0, I expected the refs to tread cautiously. Instead the refs sent the arena into a mix of fury and disbelief with a series of calls. A marginal hitting from behind on a penalty kill gave UMD a 5on3. Now 3-0. Yale then started hitting - they were ****ed - and within a minute an elbow penalty was called on ONeil by the ref at the other end of the ice while the other ref was just 20 feet from the play. It was as if the refs never played the game and were oblivious to the context. After Yale scored to make it 3-1, Oneil then got tagged with a 5min major. Huh ? on that kill, Yale also picked up a boarding. Again 5on3, Hello ? It's almost impossible to get a boarding call when you are short handed playing a box. Now 5-1. Mid 2nd - GAME OVER.

Yale picked up 2 to make it interesting but anything after period one was just irrelevant.

What we learned. UMD has a goalie that was the MVP. UMD has 17 guys that did nothing special but also were error free. Great job guys. And UMD has 3 guys that are lethal, especially on the PP. Yale looked much better 5on5, but we only saw that for parts of the first. After the refs took over, most of the action was pointless. I do wonder if Allain would, in retrospect, have called a TO after the 3-0 lead. The whole place was shocked and I wonder if his players needed a mental reload. As for the major on ONeil, it seems relevant that he got the elbow call just before - perhaps he needed to cool down. Very few saw the hit and at the point in the second they stopped showing arena replays of all the atrocious calls. The place was livid, but a more aggressive crowd would have littered the ice.

Too bad bc it would have been fun to watch a hockey game, not 20 minutes of hockey, plus 20min of BS, plus 20 of Yale saving face.

Comment

Originally posted by elihockeyfan View Post
                    I guess I need a new hobby for the next seven months...
                    Saltwater fishing in CT and Yale Hockey dovetail very nicely! To my wife's chagrin I am obsessed with both.

Great season by Yale that ended pretty sadly, we are going to miss those 9 seniors. As to the call, we got robbed of an excellent hockey game, all college hockey fans missed what could have been a classic.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

UMD deserved to win, but Yale derseved a chance to fight it out and be given a fair shake. Unfortunately, that was prevented by the worst officiated game I have ever seen.
                      Congrats to UMD and good luck- go win a championship in Minnesota!

Most imprtantly of all, thank you to this group of Yale seniors who have completely reshaped the entire landscape of Yale Hockey. While a trip to the Frozen Four would have been a fitting end to their great run, I believe that in the end the contribution they have made as a group to this program over the past 4 years will have a much greater impact when we look back at Yale Hockey history. Thank you.
                      -------------
                      Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

Did not see the call but from what I have heard there seems to be some conflict as to the interpretation of the rules. From the NCAA rulebook:

Contact to the Head
                        This is an important safety issue and the committee is concerned about
                        some violent contact that has occurred in the game and caused injury. To
                        make this rule clearer, any time a player targets the head or neck area of
                        an opponent, it must be a major penalty and a game misconduct penalty at
                        a minimum.
                        This rule is not intended to cover incidental contact or contact
                        with the head that occurs that should be a minor penalty (e.g., unintentional
                        high stick, body check where the contact is initiated at the shoulder or torso,
                        but the follow through makes some contact with the head). Clear direction
                        is being provided here to assist officials, coaches and players with this rule.
                        The committee expects a heightened awareness to direct contact to head,
                        but it should be noted that many contact to the head fouls in previous seasons
                        that were minor penalties should remain minor penalties (e.g., an incidental
                        high sticking foul would remain a minor for high sticking).
                        The committee reminds coaches and players that the responsibility
                        remains with the player making the hit to avoid contact with the head and
                        neck area of an opposing player. Any contact which directly targets the
                        player’s head and neck area must be penalized with a major penalty and
                        a game misconduct or disqualification. A player delivering a check to an
                        unsuspecting and vulnerable player puts themselves in jeopardy of being
                        penalized under this rule.
                        Officials are to pay particular attention to these examples when applying
                        this rule. These are intended as guidance and include, but are not limited to,
                        the following:
                        • A player that has just released a shot or pass;
                        • A player that delivers a late hit;
                        • A player that extends and directs the arm, elbow, forearm or shoulder
                        to contact the head and neck area of the opponent;
                        • A player that extends the body and targets the opponent’s head or
                        neck area.
                        • A player that leaves the skates or launches in order to deliver a blow
                        to the head or neck area of the opposing player.
                        • A player that uses the stick in any way to target the head or neck area
                        (e.g., cross checking, butt-ending, etc.).
                        As additional guidance, when the initial force of the contact is a shoulder
                        to the body of the opponent and slides up to the head or neck area, this is not
                        classified as contact to the head. This type of action may still be penalized,
                        at the referee’s discretion, as another penalty (e.g., charging, roughing,
                        elbowing, etc.).

Comment

Not sure if it is a hex on ECAC or what.....I think it was 2 or 3 years ago that Princeton got hosed by a horribly officiated game which again I think was against UMD or SCSU...one of those two.

Comment

Great season guys! Saw both your games this weekend and felt that you deserved a different fate (taking nothing away from the play of UMD). There is only one other team similar to Yale that I saw this season that could turn it up a notch and buzz a team to death, and that was Union. Stronger goaltending vs UMD was much needed. However, an ECAC League Championship you have that no one can take away, something the other ECAC teams in the NCAA Tournament wish they had an opportunity to play for in AC.
                            Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                              Did not see the call but from what I have heard there seems to be some conflict as to the interpretation of the rules. From the NCAA rulebook:

Contact to the Head
                              This is an important safety issue and the committee is concerned about
                              some violent contact that has occurred in the game and caused injury. To
                              make this rule clearer, any time a player targets the head or neck area of
                              an opponent, it must be a major penalty and a game misconduct penalty at
                              a minimum.
                              This rule is not intended to cover incidental contact or contact
                              with the head that occurs that should be a minor penalty (e.g., unintentional
                              high stick, body check where the contact is initiated at the shoulder or torso,
                              but the follow through makes some contact with the head). Clear direction
                              is being provided here to assist officials, coaches and players with this rule.
                              The committee expects a heightened awareness to direct contact to head,
                              but it should be noted that many contact to the head fouls in previous seasons
                              that were minor penalties should remain minor penalties (e.g., an incidental
                              high sticking foul would remain a minor for high sticking).
                              The committee reminds coaches and players that the responsibility
                              remains with the player making the hit to avoid contact with the head and
                              neck area of an opposing player. Any contact which directly targets the
                              player’s head and neck area must be penalized with a major penalty and
                              a game misconduct or disqualification. A player delivering a check to an
                              unsuspecting and vulnerable player puts themselves in jeopardy of being
                              penalized under this rule.
                              Officials are to pay particular attention to these examples when applying
                              this rule. These are intended as guidance and include, but are not limited to,
                              the following:
                              • A player that has just released a shot or pass;
                              • A player that delivers a late hit;
                              • A player that extends and directs the arm, elbow, forearm or shoulder
                              to contact the head and neck area of the opponent;
                              • A player that extends the body and targets the opponent’s head or
                              neck area.
                              • A player that leaves the skates or launches in order to deliver a blow
                              to the head or neck area of the opposing player.
                              • A player that uses the stick in any way to target the head or neck area
                              (e.g., cross checking, butt-ending, etc.).
                              As additional guidance, when the initial force of the contact is a shoulder
                              to the body of the opponent and slides up to the head or neck area, this is not
                              classified as contact to the head. This type of action may still be penalized,
                              at the referee’s discretion, as another penalty (e.g., charging, roughing,
                              elbowing, etc.).
                              It was absolutely not targeting the head or neck area of Hendrickson. It was a clean, shoulder hit in open ice and O'Neill is only 5'9" as opposed to Hendrickson who looks to be about 6'0" or even bigger and O'Neill did not have his hands or stick up. It was a horrible call. Then in the Merrimack - Notre Dame game the player got hit in the head by an elbow and from behind and was injured and no call - not even a minor - and Merrimack goes on to lose a game they probably would have won with that call. The calls were so awful you have to start wondering if the refs took payoffs. Having said that, I knew Yale's behavior against SLU in the ECAC playoffs would come back to bite them and it did. 9 Penalties for 29 minutes including a full 2 minute 5 on 3 for UMD. To their credit though, Yale did not seem to be chirping at UMD or the refs and UMD guys were after getting penalties called against them. Obviously, it is a shame that with 2 ECAC teams in the East regional we have no teams in the FF.
                              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

UMD deserved to win, but Yale deserved a chance to fight it out and be given a fair shake. Unfortunately, that was prevented by the worst officiated game I have ever seen.
                                This sums it up as well as any comment I have seen on here about the game. Yale hurt themselves by not scoring in the first, including missing 2 open nets, by giving up the breakaway shortie, and by not being intelligently aggressive in the second, meaning being aggressive without taking penalties. All of that led to them being down 3-0. But Yale is nothing if not a come back team and the O'Neill goal ignited the team and the crowd. Then 8 seconds later came the call which took the game out of the realm of fair competition and put into the realm of the officials taking the game into their hands and effectively deciding the outcome. I am not saying Yale would have come back. I am saying they had that chance unjustly taken from them

Comment

Working...
                                X