Colgate 2010-2011 [Part II]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2010-2011 [Part II]

Day had an assist last night in the Sound Tigers win. So in his first two games he has tallied a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick"....A goal an assist and his first fight last night !!
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
      but against RPI and Union, we were disciplined, plain and simple. We did not afford them [enough] opportunities to be on the power play because we seemed focused. No bench minors, no hitting after the whistle...we buckled down AND finally had some lucky bounces on our own pp for a change. Much different story in Atlantic City and it was obvious.
      Bill.....I disagree to a point. Both Friday night games against RPI and Union, Colgate played undisciplined hockey and paid for it as they lost both games. Saturday and Sunday nights in both series, I would agree with you in that they played disciplined and won! It seems that vs Yale and Dartmouth for that matter, they were back to how they played vs RPI and Union on the Friday...undisciplined and bad penalties. I don't know if it was a lack of focus or what. I think the season turned around when Day and Smith were healthy scratches.....and the team won both those games without them
      Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

• Interesting discussion about the strength of the ECAC. While it was a great story that the 12th place team won 2 road playoff series, is it good for the league overall? Some have said that it was good for Union to have a week off before the NCAAs but I don't buy it.

Top to bottom I think our league is better than the Atlantic league although Air Force, RIT and Niagara are solid programs. The WCHA is a monster conference plain and simple. The CCHA and HE are a notch below but several notches above us.

Comment

Looks like we'll have all spring and summer to talk about the strength of conferences. As we hit October we will get to see it first hand with UNO on the road and the Miami Ohio at Starr for 2.

We got 42 games in this year which gave a lot of the younger guys some high pressure games. The freshman and sophomores should have gained confidence and maturity getting those 8 extra games in, 7 of which meant something.
          The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Just noticing Lidgett incoming frosh forward next year, good numbers and won't be 18 till next October. Hope he grows, Union has 24 and 25 yr olds.

Comment

Good news for us is that York has jumped to the NHL. Bad news is that RPI's next goalie might be as good - or better - than York. In any event the Engineers will have to do some tinkering in the net before next season, which isn't a bad thing...
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                Good news for us is that York has jumped to the NHL. Bad news is that RPI's next goalie might be as good - or better - than York. In any event the Engineers will have to do some tinkering in the net before next season, which isn't a bad thing...
                We were 5-2 against him during his career at RPI anyways. Only losses were the infamous one in Hamilton this year and then Game 1 in the first round series.
                Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

I don't have a great fondness for all things ECAC; Colgate, yes, and always want them to win, plain and simple. Otherwise, I don't care which of our league brethren participate in the post season. We try to build our confidence and optimisim every year by discussing how competitive our league is from top to bottom and how the Cleary Cup isn't decided until the final weekend. Ivy teams start late and some of our OOC opponents are lackluster. Often times, we're the ones traveling to God knows where. I've heard RPI only schedules teams it thinks it can beat from the previous season for its Freakout! weekend; perhaps that's why their record in their tournament is better than average?

Don't know that the call against O'Neill was truly that bad...unfortunate, yes, but Yale is a team with talent that surpasses more than one player, even if O'Neill is considered their 'best'. Their slim victory over AFA was indicative of their truer ability, not necessarily their blowout over Cornell.

hockeymascot, I agree...our play against RPI/Union was obviously more disciplined for games 2 & 3 and nonexistent for the 1st game in both series; thought that was understood by anyone who saw them!!!
                  C O L G A T E
                  2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                  1990 NCAA FINALS
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                  ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                  ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                    Pirri and D'Amigo leaving were victories for #26 Union... York leaving is a victory for Colgate?

Comment

I don't have a great fondness for all things ECAC; Colgate, yes, and always want them to win, plain and simple. Otherwise, I don't care which of our league brethren participate in the post season. We try to build our confidence and optimisim every year by discussing how competitive our league is from top to bottom and how the Cleary Cup isn't decided until the final weekend. Ivy teams start late and some of our OOC opponents are lackluster. Often times, we're the ones traveling to God knows where. I've heard RPI only schedules teams it thinks it can beat from the previous season for its Freakout! weekend; perhaps that's why their record in their tournament is better than average?

Don't know that the call against O'Neill was truly that bad...unfortunate, yes, but Yale is a team with talent that surpasses more than one player, even if O'Neill is considered their 'best'. Their slim victory over AFA was indicative of their truer ability, not necessarily their blowout over Cornell.

hockeymascot, I agree...our play against RPI/Union was obviously more disciplined for games 2 & 3 and nonexistent for the 1st game in both series; thought that was understood by anyone who saw them!!!
                      While we're on the subject of Freakout, just a little reminder that it is a prestige-priced game (probably why we never have it be when we play Cornell [team moniker aside], Union, or Clarkson anymore [although we've played Clarkson in the freakout before]), so it will cost you $3 more for a ticket. Also, it sells out quickly, so when individual tickets go on sale, you may want to consider getting a ticket through your school's allotment if you wish to go.

Comment

I've heard RPI only schedules teams it thinks it can beat from the previous season for its Freakout! weekend; perhaps that's why their record in their tournament is better than average?
                        Gotta disagree with this. They had the #1 team in the country in this years freakout. They only get a few choices since its a Saturday game in late Jan or early Feb. My guess is they have had every ECAC team but Colgate and Harvard if I remember correctly and Harvard would be tough given the Saturdays they get off due to the Beanpot. Probably try to avoid Cornell because of the "Big Red" aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Also, it sells out quickly, so when individual tickets go on sale, you may want to consider getting a ticket through your school's allotment if you wish to go.
                          No one expressed any desire to attend the Freakout anyway

Comment

• How many minutes till next season?

How do people on this board think we will do next year

With a potentially superstar goalie, most D-men returning, and some forwards who broke out during the playoffs, I think we'll be at least top half of the ECAC

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderJoe2014 View Post
                              How do people on this board think we will do next year

With a potentially superstar goalie, most D-men returning, and some forwards who broke out during the playoffs, I think we'll be at least top half of the ECAC
                              Many of us had the same thoughts going into this season. The media and coaches polls had us top 4/5 in the league. We should have a good team next season but, as always, you can't replace experience. Frankie, Brian and Pop are going to be missed, as much for their grit and game experience, as for their leadership in bringing a bum season to a thrilling conclusion in the playoffs. Time will tell if the incoming players will have as much - or more - of an impact as this season's frosh.

I'm reserving judgement until I've had a summer to think this question over

Comment

Ditto Colskate !

Comment

Working...
                                X