Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2010-2011 [Part II]

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    FWIW: why are Yale and Union both in the East division? Wouldn't it be logical to split up the ECAC teams and put one in the Northeast -- or the West where there are no eastern teams? Just saying...(I know it has to do with the PWR, but that's no excuse )
    It's a combination of bracket integrity, ensuring hosts play at their host site, intra-conference matchups, and attempting to maximize attendance. It just so happened, with Yale being #1 and Union being #8 that they ended up in the same bracket. RPI pretty much didn't have a choice (can't play Yale since both are in the ECAC, UNH hosts the Northeast) and had to be moved out to the midwest.

Also, when it comes to the NC$$, there's no such thing as "logical".

Comment

We need to improve pp numbers, no question...but against RPI and Union, we were disciplined, plain and simple. We did not afford them [enough] opportunities to be on the power play because we seemed focused. No bench minors, no hitting after the whistle...we buckled down AND finally had some lucky bounces on our own pp for a change. Much different story in Atlantic City and it was obvious. Back to sin bin central. Poplawski was on Polacek like glue. Gotta do that to any team's top player. Couldn't get it done against Yale.

We lost a dozen games by one goal and Union won ten by that same margin. Amazing what a difference a bounce can make to that %$&# piece of rubber!

Can't wait to catch the games this weekend. Good luck ECAC.

Still can't believe we made it to AC. CU there in 2012!
      C O L G A T E
      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
      1990 NCAA FINALS
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by TchrBill View Post

We lost a dozen games by one goal and Union won ten by that same margin.
        Because Union's PP is a lot better than ours.

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
          Ditto. Who knows where we could have been with a PP in the 18-19% range.
          Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

0-6 on the PP doomed us against Yale. After Mihalik became our #1 tender, we played with much more confidence. I was told that the defensmen were mortally terrified of making a mistake in their own zone and played with "no" confidence(thus leading to mistakes and giveaways). Their was a "new found confidence" towards the end and it was very visible. Especially against Union where McPherson, Larkin, Poplawski and Price were just tremendous breaking out of our defensive end.

To me Price was just fantastic, he has wheels and hits everything in sight. The Union series was a war, some of the best hockey I've seen Gate play in quite awhile. Mihalik is very very fast going from post to post, I think he's going to get "even better'.

Very upbeat with the product we'll be putting on the ice next year. Joey Wilson is a tremendous player, should help on the PP. Losing three leaders but gained tremendous experience from a still young team, and they now know what it takes to win the close ones. Go Gate !!
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Brian Day has signed a try-out contract with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL. He scored his first professional goal on Friday night in Portland, Maine.

http://www.soundtigers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                The Union PP was 0-9 last night, looks like the law of averages caught up with them.
                The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gaterrooter View Post
                  The Union PP was 0-9 last night, looks like the law of averages caught up with them.
                  Union looked a lot like Colgate last night. You can never overstate how important your power play is.

Comment

"There was reasonable evidence to believe the puck crossed the goal line..." I think that's the quote...I feel for Univ of Neb - Omaha Mavericks and I just wonder if it's a coincidence that once again Michigan greases into the second round of the NCAAs. We all remember eleven years ago when Colgate was simply stiffed, simply denied a victory by a referee who opted NOT to go upstairs to review what was, in fact, a Colgate goal. This is not as egregious, but I can't help but wonder where was the evidence??? The initial call on the ice was NO GOAL...unless they had a better look than what we saw on ESPNU (and they may actually use the ESPNU cameras) I did not see the puck cross the line. It may have, but from the angle available there was no evidence that it did. I hope the following isn't true, BUT...Michigan is big time, they bring fans (travel well) and they have a hockey legend as coach...I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I think UN-O got stiffed last night. It brought back bitter memories from eleven years ago. I wonder whether either call would've been the same if Colgate and UN -O had been playing Air Force or R.I.T...congrats to Yale for a gritty win...BC gets a #1 seed in St. Louis??? The announcers were favoring Colo College, the fans were from CC...please...a #2 or a #3 overall seed being sent to the west from Hockey East? Can you imagine if Minnesota was a #2 or #3 overall seed (and #1 seed in its bracket) being sent to Manchester, NH???

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                      "There was reasonable evidence to believe the puck crossed the goal line..." I think that's the quote...I feel for Univ of Neb - Omaha Mavericks and I just wonder if it's a coincidence that once again Michigan greases into the second round of the NCAAs. We all remember eleven years ago when Colgate was simply stiffed, simply denied a victory by a referee who opted NOT to go upstairs to review what was, in fact, a Colgate goal. This is not as egregious, but I can't help but wonder where was the evidence??? The initial call on the ice was NO GOAL...unless they had a better look than what we saw on ESPNU (and they may actually use the ESPNU cameras) I did not see the puck cross the line. It may have, but from the angle available there was no evidence that it did. I hope the following isn't true, BUT...Michigan is big time, they bring fans (travel well) and they have a hockey legend as coach...I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I think UN-O got stiffed last night. It brought back bitter memories from eleven years ago. I wonder whether either call would've been the same if Colgate and UN -O had been playing Air Force or R.I.T...congrats to Yale for a gritty win...BC gets a #1 seed in St. Louis??? The announcers were favoring Colo College, the fans were from CC...please...a #2 or a #3 overall seed being sent to the west from Hockey East? Can you imagine if Minnesota was a #2 or #3 overall seed (and #1 seed in its bracket) being sent to Manchester, NH???
                      If a WCHA team was the host and 4th seed in that regional, then yes.
                      Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Two out of three ECAC teams gone. Will Yale hold up against a good Minn-Dul. team?
                        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

EZAC chants have resurfaced again. Can't say I blame them and I may join the bandwagon. What a lackluster game for Union. One columnist stated the pp was their 'Achilles' heel; ironic how it doomed them. RPI against NoDak?! Please. Wouldn't have minded had AFA pulled off the upset against Yale. It was a great game to watch with great speed with two great teams. Yale was fortunate to get the W IMHO.

Had the same horrible, vivid memory of Colgate v. Michigan. What else is there to say; refs ruin everything and the bigger school ($$$) advances yet again.

When Vermont left the ECAC, I was sorely disappointed. But now, even with mediocre records (their FF run notwithstanding), at least they get to play BC/BU/Maine on a regular basis. From what I can tell, hockey is still king in Burlington.

STILL speechless after ousting RPI and Union in stunning fashion 3 weeks later!

Go 'Gate
                          C O L G A T E
                          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                          1990 NCAA FINALS
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

A very disappointing showing by the 3 ECAC teams. Union played well in stretches, but for the most part couldn't get out of its own way. RPI looked intimidated, played scared and embarrassed themselves... didn't want to go near anybody from N. Dakota. Yale/AFA was a fast, fun game to watch. However, against UMD, Yale became flustered after falling behind, ran around, and just imploded. ECAC clearly, sad but true, had the weakest teams in the tournament once again. Our level of play is now comparable to that of Atlantic Hockey teams and below the big three WCHA, CCHA and Hockey East.

Comment

'Gate Man is correct: no ECAC team in the Frozen Four again! Some are posting that the PWR is a lousy way to rank teams, as Yale does not play nearly the tough teams that the WCHA teams face every night. They feel KRACH or SOS is a better way to rank teams and seed them in the tourney. Maybe the're right. It is disheartening to see the ECAC fail in the Big Dance. I thought this season with Yale and Union...and RPI..showing some real strength in the league, we would have a better outcome. Three teams in, and all three come up empty. What does that say about our league? Maybe we ARE on a par with Atlantic Hockey nowadays
                              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

feel for Yale...yes, they were undisciplined, but the call on O'Neill was a bad one...frankly, the hit looked legal and if you're going to award a penalty there it should be two minutes and not five...disappointed again for ECAC, but no question we're above Atlantic Hockey...again, last ECAC team to reach an NCAA final? Terry Slater's 31-6-1 team in 1990, although I would have traded this stat for Yale in the finals...

Comment

Working...
                                X