Colgate 2010-2011 [Part II]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2010-2011 [Part II]

Heck of a run. Losing in the semis again is incredibly frustrating, though being there after this season was pretty special. Fun to watch the game on TV like that, but would much preferred to have been there. Just logged on to see the score of the Consolation game, but we can say we finished in 4th, just like we were supposed to

Worst part of the whole thing is that now we wait until October for hockey
    ECAC Champions: 1990
    NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
    ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
    NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
    Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Congrats once again Gate, you guys showed why you were picked so high in the standings, I highly doubt anyones gonna look forward to seeing you guys next season! Heres to hoping RPI has their chance at a Playoff run next week!
      RIT Tigers
      2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011 Regular Season Champions
      2010,2015, 2016 Atlantic Hockey Champions

Comment

Sigh...always sad to see the season come to an end, but we had a great run. Went to the CBS Scene in Foxboro, MA (next to Gillette Stadium) and got my own table -- at this sports bar there are televisions at each table where the patron can choose the channel they want to watch. Fortunately being a bar with the CBS moniker they had the channel I was in search of and was able to watch us play Yale despite almost all the other televisions tuned into that "other tournament" involving an orange ball with black stripes that has to be dribbled.

In the 2nd period it looked like we had scored to take a 1-0 lead but alas, the refs had to review it and then wave it off. I want to say that deflated us a bit, as a few minutes later Yale scored off a faceoff draw. But we didn't pack it in. It was still 1-0 for a good part of the 3rd. Then Yale turned it up a notch and in a flash, that would spell the sunset on 'Gate's 2010-11 season. But hey--we can still skate with Yale and we didn't let them dictate the game. I believe one of the announcers on CBS College Sports said we are one of the few teams in the nation that can skate with Yale. That's really positive news for our hockey program, especially with all the national attention the Bulldogs have garnered this year. Still disappointed that we've gone 3 consecutive ECAC Semifinal games with a goose-egg loss. I honestly thought Albany was cursed -- but maybe it was us? Still this was the 1st year the semis were in AC, plus we were up against a really good Yale team that dismantled Cornell tonight. We were only down 1-0 in the 3rd, but the Big Red were down 4-0 in the 2nd. Mihalik once again made some great saves -- keep in mind he once again faced at least 40 shots and made the big plays when he needed to.

I am proud of the way the team played down the stretch. We were picked to finish 4th/5th, have a horrific winless slide, don't get our 1st league win until February 5th, and go 4-2-1 in the last 7 games of the regular season. But we finish last in the conference, something that (to me) just felt awful.

But then the playoffs roll around and lo and behold, we upend RPI in 3 games with a double OT victory to clinch it. Then we go back to the Capital District to face top-seeded Union and also win in 3 games. This time we're down 2-0 in the 3rd period of Game 2 and score 4 unanswered. We're down 3-2 late in the 3rd of Game 3 and tie it, then win it in OT. The players never quit. We played like a 4th place team down the stretch. Next year we return (not including goaltenders) 18 skaters -- 12 forwards and 6 defensemen. That's what teams typically dress for a game. And we've got 5 incoming freshman -- 3 forwards and 2 defensemen -- that should hopefully get some playing time and add depth to the roster. And let's not forget that Eric Mihalik was only a freshman this year. He'll most definitely improve and I can't wait for the day he becomes as well known to 'Gate fans as Mark Dekanich.

Best of luck to Brian Day, Francois Brisebois, and Wade Poplawski. These 3 players contributed greatly to the hockey program at Colgate, and they will be missed. And who'da thunk both RPI and Union would be playing next weekend -- don't forget we defeated BOTH teams TWICE on their respective home ice surfaces.
        Colgate '09

Comment

Congrats on a respectable finish to your season 'gate! It was a pleasure watching the Raiders this weekend in Atlantic City, and I was secretly rooting for you guys to take the tourney!
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Was wondering the same about Coach V, vic...like Emmett Davis, a great guy, but...

The 'real' consolation was watching Cornell get drubbed even worse by the same opponent we played :-) Knowing we bounced Union & RPI, who are both in the NCAAs, is also some good consolation. But I'm guessing we finished exactly where everyone thought we would in the tournament; just couldn't make that magic last another day. I don't care. Nothing like watching the maroon and white skate one last time against our 3 Ivy League brethren. And we did finish 4th, not too bad!

To those of you who attended the games, what are your thoughts about AC? Colgate will be locked in there for 2 more years :-)
            Last edited by TchrBill; 03-20-2011, 10:05 AM.
            C O L G A T E
            2023 ECAC CHAMPION
            1990 NCAA FINALS
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
              Was wondering the same about Coach V, vic...like Emmett Davis, a great guy, but...

The 'real' consolation was watching Cornell get drubbed even worse by the same opponent we played :-) Knowing we bounced Union & RPI, who are both in the NCAAs, is also some good consolation. But I'm guessing we finished exactly where everyone thought we would in the tournament; just couldn't make that magic last another day. I don't care. Nothing like watching the maroon and white skate one last time against our 3 Ivy League brethren. And we did finish 4th, not too bad!

To those of you who attended the games, what are your thoughts about AC? Colgate will be locked in there for 2 more years :-)
              Not hearing much good about AC. Already movements afoot to bring it back to Albany, or elsewhere.

Kind of numb today; hard to accept there is no more hockey 'till October. It will take some time to think this season out. Guess you could call it a "Jeckell & Hyde" (sp?) year, but not really. The guys tried every game and hung in there - mentally and physically - to finish up with a great post-season run. Just not clicking until around the Clarkson/Dartmouth games hurt us big time. If only we'd gotten more good bounces....But there is a lot to build on for next season.
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I can't add much to this thread that hasn't been said. Maybe we bounce out of tourneys so easily due to some subconscious block when there's more attention paid (vs. being big fish in our small Hamiltucky pond)? I know the guys have been able to play inspired hockey as underdogs against ranked opponents. Once the expectations are raised, we seem to lose something. I dunno. I'm not in the locker room so just grasping at straws.

This season was tough. Loved that gutsy run at the end. Just wish we could capture and keep that rare champion confidence. "High flat plane" is a great motto to aspire to.

Anyway, onto baseball for the next seven months. Thanks to the team, coaches, pep band, fans, fellow posters, and everyone who cherishes Colgate hockey. See y'all on Shabby's next thread.

Comment

Tough way to end the season, but it is what it is. In the end, we lived up to the preseason expectations, finishing in the top four, which is tough to argue with after the stretches we had this year. The team certainly didn't give up this weekend, which hopefully shows good signs for next year, and we can play that way for an entire season instead of just a month or so. Day, Brisebois, and Poplawski will certainly be missed, but we definitely have enough talent behind them to keep it going.

As for Atlantic City, as one who has been to our last few trips to Albany and now the first to AC, I will say that this might be the first time that we didn't just go straight back to the hotel after the game ended, heading to the beach and the Boardwalk for a little while. I was kinda disappointed that there was no "fan-fest" like they had in front of the Times-Union in Albany, though I'm not sure where it would have been here unless they blocked off part of the Boardwalk. And while the arena was alright, the crowd was fairly sparce (mainly consisting of Cornell fans at our game....). Though, the wide open spaces did make it fairly easy to echo throughout the entire building (either with your voice or a drum...). If the league could find a way to get more people there, it certainly has some potential, but there is always that "if."

Oh well, on to next year, and hopefully another trip to AC!

Comment

For those who are interested, this is what next years league schedule looks like (home games in CAPS):

November 4 @Brown
                    November 5 @Yale
                    November 11 @Dartmouth
                    November 12 @Harvard
                    November 18 QUINNIPIAC
                    November 19 PRINCETON

December 2 CLARKSON
                    December 3 ST. LAWRENCE

January 13 @Princeton
                    January 14 @Quinnipiac
                    January 20 HARVARD
                    January 21 DARTMOUTH

February 3 @Union
                    February 4 @Rensselaer
                    February 10 YALE
                    February 11 BROWN
                    February 17 @St. Lawrence
                    February 18 @Clarkson
                    February 24 RENSSELAER
                    February 25 UNION

Other mumbo jumbo:
                    -We open the season at the Maverick Stampede (1 of those games most likely against UNO)
                    -Two home games against Miami
                    -Most likely a home-and-home with Niagara
                    -Colorado College is still due to make a trip to Starr Rink, reciprocating the trip we made out there in the 2008-09 season. Don't know if it will be in 2011-12 or 2012-13.
                    -The first four league games are on the road. That's good as it'll give us a measuring stick of how we'll fare in the conference. It doesn't hurt that they're all against Ivy League teams. Since they'll be just starting their seasons, playing 4 of 6 Ivies all on the road in November is an advantage for us.

This will probably be my last post until at least September. Have a great spring/summer, everyone!
                    Colgate '09

Comment

• Re: Colgate 2010-2011 [Part II]

I like the way this schedule shapes up so far, especially the OOC games. Wonder if we're looking at a holiday tournament to go along with the Stampede

I would guess the Cornell series is January 27-28 (or at least I'm hoping), and it would appear Qpac/Princeton is SilverPuck Weekend
                      ECAC Champions: 1990
                      NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                      ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                      NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                      Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
                        So when do the fans start up once again the fire Don Vaughn posts???? Or in the minds of the Colgate detractors did this playoff run garner your wish to keep him.
                        Did not change my thinking. Players took a lot of the blame during the rough times so I give them credit for the run. They played with a grit and heart all year.

I think the turn started when Don started playing all 4 lines and gave players like Nasca and Rivalini a shot. That took minutes and pressure off lines 1 + 2, which resulted in less fatigue, better match ups for the scorers and more production. Those "scrub" players probably got a shot less because of coaches having faith in them and more because the coaches had almost thrown in the towel and figured what do we have to loose.

Come this past weekend, right back to the same old same old. Burned out players in a warm building and didn't manage match ups very well (same people were scoring against our same guys). Yale was rolling lines and kept their shifts very short. Don't think Don is a very good game coach but don't think the administration will make any changes until Don decides to leave or retire.
                        Last edited by HockeyEh; 03-21-2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks again to GateRadio and to Rainman for the postgame analysis of his road trips through all kinds of weather :-)

Don't think playing Ivies first with fewer games under their belts or playing on the road makes any bit of difference. Either we come out strong or we don't. Took 50 line combinations and rotating different goalies to come up with something that produced winning results. Other teams have more luck by game 2 but we never gave up and were willing to try any possibility. Mihalik was our go-to goalie in the end, but who knows what next season may bring? Any hot goalie recruits who could steal the show? Can't wait for the twins to get here!

With the announcement of Big Ten Hockey, maybe this is Colgate's chance to bolt from the ECAC to the WCHA, CCHA, or Big Ten ;-) NoDak [and Frattin] at Colgate every year...pretty cool. Suddenly 12th place doesn't sound so bad!

CU 2012
                          C O L G A T E
                          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                          1990 NCAA FINALS
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Hate to see us on Page 3 until the NCAA's are over. Still stuff to talk about.

Echo Bill's comments on Rainman and GR. Good reporting. Raiman - appreciate it. GR did a great job all season with the play-by-play - enjoyed listening to the games when I couldn't be at Starr.

FWIW: why are Yale and Union both in the East division? Wouldn't it be logical to split up the ECAC teams and put one in the Northeast -- or the West where there are no eastern teams? Just saying...(I know it has to do with the PWR, but that's no excuse )
                            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

second the kudos for GR...having listened to a number of "student" play-by-plays this year for video feed appreciation for GR's coverage increases all the more (only the RPI kids were any good)...to say it was a curious season would be a gross under statement. The kids and the coaches deserve all the credit in the world for their perseverence and work ethic in the last third of the season; the first two-thirds of the campaign were puzzling to say the least. My personal feeling going forward is that DV gets the most out of his players, but we do need a better "yield" on our recruiting efforts. The win over Union was simply a tremendous amount of "will" on the part of the program. If we can maintain that standard and bump up our skill and speed a little bit I think the next five years will be better than the last five. Mihalik is a better goalie than his .903 save percentage so we've got to reduce the glaring defensive lapses (improvement did occur in the last15 games). More skill will lead to a better dispersion of ice time (more fourth line time) and help us during the third periods of games. The PP was also better in the last 15 games, but we must get the PP percentage at least in the 17 to 18 per cent range. I kind of wish the Spinks were coming next year, but I think they'll be worth the wait. Bottom Line: although certainly not a great year, it was an interesting learning experience, not only for the kids, but for all of us who give a **** about 'Gate hockey. PS - saying we really finished in fourth place is a little cheesy folks, although by the end of the year we were probably playing top 4 or top 6 hockey; that in itself is worth something.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                                More skill will lead to a better dispersion of ice time (more fourth line time) and help us during the third periods of games.
                                And it should lead to better power play numbers. The PP came through against Union in key spots but it hurt us against Yale, where a PPG when the score was 0-0 could have made it a different game.

Comment

Working...
                                X