No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
    Ever to Excel..............and kudos to all my fellow Eagle fans on handling the loss with dignity and class.............no one else is going to say it so i did. Bravo! we are who we are not who they think we are
    Glad to see your arm is long enough to pat yourself on the back!

Comment

Wow, a lot of noob haters coming out of the woodwork (yuppiescum, not very classy). Anyway, props J.D., sterlippo and others for showing class when losing, (not something that you've had to have much practice at!) Congrats to the BC seniors for an outstanding 4 year run; you've set a standard for those who come after you to strive for. I look forward to next year's games up at Lawler (I hope we continue to give you fits ups there!)
      Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I was the one I believe who first mentioned how York should have taken the timeout and 3-1 to reassess his game strategy. To me, all this stuff about BC being overconfident or taking it easy or getting bad puck luck is nonsense. If the goalie doesn't rob 2 goals, and if the 3 hit posts go in, blah blah blah. Nothing always goes one team's way, and while I thought BC was finally matching CC in the 3rd, once BC got close CC turned on the jets again and played the end of the game almost entirely in BC's end resulting in a penalty and a goal.

The problem IMHO is that BC hadn't played CC this year, and didn't have enough of idea of their overall team speed. Thinking (as I and many of us did) that his team could skate with anyone, York employed his crash the net offense to disasterous results because CC would knock his players off the puck, zip a few quick passes on the tape up the ice and blow by whoever was back there thus leaving Muse high and dry repeatedly. I don't blame York for going with what had been so successful to start the game, and I'm loathe to criticize the guy, but I suggested a timeout because at 3-1 it was beyond obvious that his team collectively couldn't skate with Colorado College. It wasn't one guy or one line, it was everybody. At that point I would have figured York would call the TO and try to slow the game down, hope to cash in on a few PP's and take it from there. I don't think it would have changed the final result, but it may have been worth a shot. Michigan seemed to take a lot less chances and be content to win a low scoring game, probably because they'd already played CC this year and knew what to expect.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          I was the one I believe who first mentioned how York should have taken the timeout and 3-1 to reassess his game strategy. To me, all this stuff about BC being overconfident or taking it easy or getting bad puck luck is nonsense. If the goalie doesn't rob 2 goals, and if the 3 hit posts go in, blah blah blah. Nothing always goes one team's way, and while I thought BC was finally matching CC in the 3rd, once BC got close CC turned on the jets again and played the end of the game almost entirely in BC's end resulting in a penalty and a goal.

The problem IMHO is that BC hadn't played CC this year, and didn't have enough of idea of their overall team speed. Thinking (as I and many of us did) that his team could skate with anyone, York employed his crash the net offense to disasterous results because CC would knock his players off the puck, zip a few quick passes on the tape up the ice and blow by whoever was back there thus leaving Muse high and dry repeatedly. I don't blame York for going with what had been so successful to start the game, and I'm loathe to criticize the guy, but I suggested a timeout because at 3-1 it was beyond obvious that his team collectively couldn't skate with Colorado College. It wasn't one guy or one line, it was everybody. At that point I would have figured York would call the TO and try to slow the game down, hope to cash in on a few PP's and take it from there. I don't think it would have changed the final result, but it may have been worth a shot. Michigan seemed to take a lot less chances and be content to win a low scoring game, probably because they'd already played CC this year and knew what to expect.
          Let's say he uses the timeout down 3-1...do they not give up the SHG later in the period? He's been using 5 forwards as the first unit for some time now. So, even if he used a timeout...it's still gonna be 4-1 CC after one. That goal came 10 minutes after the 3rd. BC really didn't have a lot of puck luck in the game, but that's obviously not why they lost.

They got it to 4-2 halfway thru the game and I thought ok maybe they have something here, but they were just never able to build off of it. Throw in the other inexcusable SHG that made it 6-2 and the party was over before it started.

The one thing that never materialized this year for BC was a true checking line. They had one in 2008 and had one last year. Didn't have it this year and that may have been part of the reason they looked so unprepared to play against CC's top line. Their top line and special teams defined this game. BC went a collective -5 in special teams. You can't overcome that, no matter how good a team you have.

Comment

he absolutely should have used the time out in the first. but it probably wouldnt have mattered. because as bad as the first was, the real meltdown was during the second period when they had a full intermission to right the ship. just wasnt their night.
            โ€œUnless youโ€™re Boston College, you donโ€™t get here every year.โ€

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

I was expecting a timeout after the 3rd goal, just don't think it mattered considering how the rest of the period transpired.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                I was expecting a timeout after the 3rd goal, just don't think it mattered considering how the rest of the period transpired.
                agree and BC played great after the third goal (CC's goalie unreal in that stretch) and before the shorty which knocked the wind outta their sails

Comment

Hadn't seen this stat anywhere, but Atkinson was the first player with 30 goals in back-to-back seasons since CC's Brett Sterling in 04-05 and 05-06.
                  Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Howe had two ridiculous saves late in the 1st, I don't remember who the shooters were. But one was a glove save and the other was a kick save to the blocker side. Had one of those gone in, might have been different.

Most teams get a lift after a goal, but that's doubly true for BC. Their best shift of the night was probably the one after the 2nd goal, they were flying.
                    Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Well, just a good old fashioned butt whipping. No excuses. Thankfully it's been a while and I'm choosing to think positively for the future and say that like the aftermath of the North Dakota loss in 2005, it will be awhile before this happens again. Besides, a streak like they were on in the postseason cannot go on indefinitely, Jerry York or not.
                      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                      BC - 12
                      BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Regarding Atkinson signing with Columbus - I never saw this coming. Maybe Hayes or Kreider, but not Cam. Guess I wasn't sure about his size at NHL level, Gerbe's success notwithstanding, and being such a late draft pick figured wouldn't be getting much pressure from Columbus to sign. That's a brutal blow for next year, ESPECIALLY if Kreider and Hayes follow.
                        BC '97
                        Home/Road (yes, even outside Boston ) supporter

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          If it is going to happen, it's going to be a result of stupid penalties by BC and bad play from the bottom 3 defensemen. The latter is my big concern as I believe the team will smarten up. Although this is the time of the year when the coaching staff seemingly works magic with the defense and you get forwards chipping in greatly to the defensive side as well. We'll have to wait and see. CC is a dangerous team.
                          Geeee... this was kind of predictable. The only thing that wasn't predictable was the shorthanded goals against.

Anyway, too much to read through on this thread. My biggest concern is the play from the defense - way too freakin soft all year long and it caught up to them. Cross, Wey, and Dumoulin are very good defensemen. But they need to stop being so soft. Shea, Samuelsson, and Alber are average defensemen (at best... and my opinion of Samuelsson is dropping like a rock) and they also play soft. I'm a little miffed that this team got away with playing the soft D so long but the indicators were there and a weaker HE helped. The indicators showed their ugly faces here and there... particularly against the bigger teams (NU/Merrimack). They relied on their skills to take the puck away and did it all year for the most part. Let the guys down the boards, let them over the blue line without so much as sneezing on them, then get backside help from the forwards, then hope to take it away from the opposition or chase down a turnover when they eventually make the mistake. CC didn't make mistakes, CC was faster than BC could handle, and they were bigger and stronger. They played, as a unit, like a bunch of girls that got their drinks roofied at an MIT frat party and at the end of the night CC ran a train up on them and they woke up the next morning wondering what happened with their panties around their ankles. Walk of shame back to Chestnut Hill.

Time to toughen up. York has been able to mold some serviceable but average sets players into respectable units during some great FF runs but it caught up to him Friday night. Maybe we should teach these kids to hit someone? Instead you had the Gibbons' and Whitney's out there hitting guys too much rather than the defense hitting enough. Not good. Those kids took too many penalties and the defense was soft serve ice cream. Not the preferred way to do things.

Methinks Owens took a quick look at the tape of the NU 3-game series in February and was licking his chops. And the rest was history.

As pointed out, York should have called the timeout but the intermission didn't wake them up either so clearly the timeout would not have. They needed someone like a Marty Reasoner who would have gone Hiroshima on them during a timeout and I just don't think they had that in them and the shell-shocked nature of the situation probably wouldn't allow that to happen as much either.

Nice season but at BC we judge them on these 4 last games on the NCAA schedule. They failed miserably in 1 and will be watching from home for the other 3.

See you in St. Paul anyway.
                          Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonjohn View Post
                            Regarding Atkinson signing with Columbus - I never saw this coming. Maybe Hayes or Kreider, but not Cam. Guess I wasn't sure about his size at NHL level, Gerbe's success notwithstanding, and being such a late draft pick figured wouldn't be getting much pressure from Columbus to sign. That's a brutal blow for next year, ESPECIALLY if Kreider and Hayes follow.
                            BC dodged a huge bullet last year when he came back and turned down some nice coin from CBJ last year. This was a LONG time coming.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

There is a history of college forwards succeeding in the NHL regardless of size. Gerbe and, particularly, Gionta are remarkable. There's also Ryan Shannon, Kobasew, Harrold etc.
                              Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                Nick's long post
                                Agreed on the whole. Just look at how many times (even last year as well) Muse needed to take a whack at a forward coming in late. Tommy Cross was the one who stood up the most. I remember Petrecki's FR year in HE quarters when there was a puck that floated into Muse's chest. A PC player took a two handed whack at Muse like a baseball bat and hit him in the upper chest/neck. Petrecki grabbed the player by the facemask and yanked him so hard that it ripped the chinstrap off. Was it a penalty? With HE refs I'm sure but you know no one on PC came too close to Muse after that. We all knew Petrecki needed to go but we do need someone to put another play on their ***** if necessary.

I thought Wey had the usual uptick in play post-WJC but wasn't good at all coming down the stretch (not even including the team wide abortion on Friday). Agreed about Shea & Samuelson -maybe we'll see Isaac more next year. I think Alber's fine when he plays with Dumoulin.

I always treated this year as Cam's senior year with zero expectation of him coming back, my guess is that Jimmy is gone too but obviously I hope not.

Comment

Working...
                                X