No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    In three of those games, and then again against CC, the defense and goaltending just got scorched, while otherwise being very dominant. What do the diehard BC fans attribute the defensive breakdowns to?
    For starters, they've been able to overcome games in which they haven't played great defensively. While it's not anything new, last night certainly was. Muse wishes he could have the 2nd goal back. Should have been able to either control the rebound or get over in position--even though Samuelsson got beat.

Cross has been very good this year, but even he got pick pocketed on the 3rd goal. And the five forwards on the PP came back to bite BC twice last night. Really, special teams were THE difference last night, along with Howe making some incredible saves/BC hitting a couple posts. You simply can't go a combined -5 in special teams and expect to win a game.

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post
    BC showed CC zero respect.
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

I thought BC looked extremely dynamic offensively in the third, and I'm almost surprised they didn't finish the comeback. As a Western fan, I never saw them this season, but it's easy to see why so many Eastern fans considered them a great team. While it's disappointing for fans, it isn't a dagger in the heart if you've won two of the last three national titles. Just get after it next year.

Comment

This is an honest question to BC fans. I firmly believed all year, even after watching my team (Merrimack) take two of three from you guys, that BC had the best team and was going to win it all. They were super talented and had the best coach on the planet. I saw BC play live at the Beanpot, the four games against MC, the Sunday game against Maine and against NU in the HE Semifinals. In three of those games, and then again against CC, the defense and goaltending just got scorched, while otherwise being very dominant. What do the diehard BC fans attribute the defensive breakdowns to?
        To me, last night was all about CC cashing in on almost every opportunity they had and the exact opposite for BC. Part of it has to do with the weak D play and just bad luck on the offensive end, you have to give credit where credit is due.

CC played a great game and cashed in on virtually every good chance they had. That's what separates good teams and great teams. Last night, CC was a great team.
        I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

“I want to be like them.” -Scott Sandelin

Comment

So I think it's pretty obvious that the Hockey East Regular Season Trophy is cursed.
          I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by JMSF#1 View Post
            So I think it's pretty obvious that the Hockey East Regular Season Trophy is cursed.
            It wasn't in 2009.
            It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              It wasn't in 2009.
              miami curse > heast reg season champions curse

Comment

BC thought they could get away with one-way hockey. left their goalie out to dry all night long. I thought they looked like they didnt care to work for it and didnt care enough to get their hands dirty. I should know what that looks like. im a gopher fan.

just be glad it was one game and you havent had to watch 4 years of it.

Comment

That's why they play the games...

Cliche, I know. Unfortunately we don't get to write the script. I don't think anyone expected BC to roll through CC and I certainly wouldn't have been surprised if BC lost...

But, nobody in their right mind saw that coming. It was just so completely different than what we're used to. If BC loses in the NCAA tourney, it's usually a heartbreaking, gut wrenching loss. This one reminded me of the 2005 loss to North Dakota in Worcester. BC won everything that year just like this year. Rolled into the tourney and proceeded to play their worst hockey of the season over two games. They picked the worst time of all to play like they did, but it does happen, even to the best programs/coaches. If you're in this thing as much as BC is, you're gonna win/lose OT games and blow people out...occasionally the shoe is on the other foot.

As we saw in 2002 and 2009, it's not easy following a national title. For the most part, this team answered the bell and played a lot of very good to great hockey. They were on a mission to win everything just like that 2005 team. Just wasn't meant to be. Obviously still wouldn't trade this coaching staff/group of players for any other group.

As many have already said, they will be remembered for what they did in four years, not one night in St. Louis. BTW, I'm ok with BC never having to play another game in STL

Now, all that being said, I do have to pick apart some things that happened last night.

It wasn't the number of penalties that killed BC (only four--as many thought would be the case without Hockey East refs)...it was the penalty killing. We've been accustomed to fantastic PKing, but it was anything but that down the stretch. They've been able to overcome it until last night. Having the opponent go 3-4 is tough...

When your very own PP goes 0-5 while giving up two SHG. A collective -5 in special teams is the biggest reason of all they lost. I have never really liked the five forwards on the PP and boy did it kill us last night. For all their positives, I've always questioned the Whitney brothers' decision making at the point on the PP. With who is expected to leave, I have to believe Dumoulin, Cross, and Mullane will be the leaders on the PP next year.

Goaltending--I think Muse would like to have goal #2 back, but even on that one Samuelsson got beat to the poor rebound. Hard to blame Muse for any of the other ones. Simply left out there to fend for himself.

Defense: Cross gets pick pocketed on the 3rd goal and Samuelsson also made a terrible decision on the 7th goal...

The most disappointing thing of all is that we simply had no answer for their top line and looked completely unprepared to go against them. You have to know who is on the ice at all times. Cross should have had that puck off his stick. In the past, York has taken pride in shutting down the other team's top line. Did we not have the personnel to do this? Or was it deemed unnecessary? Perhaps an oversight in the big picture.

Puck luck: Didn't seem like BC had any. You always need some. Might not have made a difference last night anyway.

Finally, props to CC. Quite impressive for an inexperienced team to do that to a battle tested team. They won the special teams battle, were opportunistic and Howe made some incredible saves--a formula we've gotten used to with our team.

Comment

interesting that we only saw one glimpse of what we thought this team could be. I, for one, was giddy after the friday night game against UNH on the last weekend of the regular season thinking that they are starting to roll, this is it......................and we never saw that again in the next 5 wins and needless to say, last night...........and some of what you say above, jerryj, may be true. i never remember seeing Eagles constantly beaten to the puck. normally that may happen a couple times a game, if that. last night? all game long or so it seemed. on to next year and our team, like all of Hockey East will have a very different look with so many stars we have been watching for a few years now graduated or leaving for the pros

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      When your very own PP goes 0-5 while giving up two SHG. A collective -5 in special teams is the biggest reason of all they lost. I have never really liked the five forwards on the PP and boy did it kill us last night. For all their positives, I've always questioned the Whitney brothers' decision making at the point on the PP. With who is expected to leave, I have to believe Dumoulin, Cross, and Mullane will be the leaders on the PP next year.
                      This is another example of the similarities between the two teams. CC plays 4 forwards and one very offensive minded d-man on their top PP unit. They score a lot, but also give up a lot of SH goals, so it's is a very high risk/high reward system. This is a topic some of us CC fans had discussed going into the tourney...we wondered if they might be better off with a more traditional PP in order to avoid the SH chances, especially against BC, who is DEADLY when shorthanded. Ultimately, my view was that for better or worse, that was part of what got CC where they were, and it is part of who they are as a team, so stick with it. Last night one team lived with it, while the other died by it.
                      Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                      -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
                        This is another example of the similarities between the two teams. CC plays 4 forwards and one very offensive minded d-man on their top PP unit. They score a lot, but also give up a lot of SH goals, so it's is a very high risk/high reward system. This is a topic some of us CC fans had discussed going into the tourney...we wondered if they might be better off with a more traditional PP in order to avoid the SH chances, especially against BC, who is DEADLY when shorthanded. Ultimately, my view was that for better or worse, that was part of what got CC where they were, and it is part of who they are as a team, so stick with it. Last night one team lived with it, while the other died by it.
                        I think we just got out-BC'd last night.

Anyway, congrats to CC and good luck the rest of the way...I went to high school with Mike Testwuide so I'll be pulling for you

EAGLE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by 5minutemajor View Post
                          Actually BC rarely plays my team and really hasn't had that much success against them head to head. I just love to see BC lose and listen to how proud their fans are of their Hockey East title and Hockey East tournament title. Really??!! Hockey East sucked this year. I feel terrible for the coaching staff and the players on BC's team, but I will never feel sorry for their arrogant cry baby fans.
                          alaska anchorage?

anyhoo, congrats on waking up from your 10 year coma, champ. you had us worried.
                          “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                          Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                          Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                          National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

This is an honest question to BC fans. I firmly believed all year, even after watching my team (Merrimack) take two of three from you guys, that BC had the best team and was going to win it all. They were super talented and had the best coach on the planet. I saw BC play live at the Beanpot, the four games against MC, the Sunday game against Maine and against NU in the HE Semifinals. In three of those games, and then again against CC, the defense and goaltending just got scorched, while otherwise being very dominant. What do the diehard BC fans attribute the defensive breakdowns to?
                            Even being behind by a score of 5-2 in the second period, BC was not playing with any sense of urgency. They were still getting beaten to the puck due to a lack of hustling, and before you knew it, it was 7-2. This is very uncharacteristic of a Jerry York led team. I believe that they were overconfident and perhaps too relaxed. I thought that it was a good sign when I saw the pictures of smiling BC players during their practices a few days before the game, but apparently they were taking their first opponent too lightly. Muse was definitely off as well. He may have been emotionally affected by the comments of commentator Melrose during the week. Not only did Melrose predict that BC would not win the championship, but he used Muse's 8-0 NCAA record against him to state that he was "Due" for a loss.
                            Last edited by BobW33; 03-26-2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                              Eat a fat one, BC, see ya in September!
                              we'll save you a seat

pretty sure you meant october, but it worked out better this way.
                              “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                              Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                              Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                              National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

As a fan, it's hard to say if the team was overconfident. They certainly had plenty of reasons to believe they would win. Getting down 3-1 and then 4-1 put them in unfamiliar territory.

Comment

Working...
                                X