No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

It is great to see the post "Trophy Season" arrive again.

I think one has to reflect back and give some credit to what these Eagles have accomplished up to this point of the season. Expectations were extremely high for this club and as such all flaws were dissected and commented on routinely as the regular season progressed. Many fans suggested perfection while others suggested double digit losses for this group of Eagles was to be expected. Rumors about early departures regularly consume the discussions and rightfully so, I guess.

But throughout the season this group has faced adversity, met it head on, embraced it and moved forward successfully to arrive at this important stage gate of the season. The group in general has made it to this point for the most part intact and appears to be hungry for more. Their collective development over the past several months is just one more statement about the quality of the leadership leading the hockey program, the student athletes themselves, and all those critical to success that support the program's on and off ice success.

I believe this group moves forward with resolve and purpose to leave their mark where few ever do...one game at a time, one period at a time, and even one shift at a time. Good things are ahead if this club remains hungry and resolute with respect to what is important going forward. They appear to be well prepared for the work left to be done and uniquely qualified for same.

Enjoy the next chapter as it should provide significant enjoyment to all true hockey fans.
    Last edited by BCHF; 03-14-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      North Dakota appears to be a juggernaut, but at the same time, they've lost two straight first round NCAA games where they were the favorite. The also have an unproven goalie, although he can't be any worse than Eidsness.
      FWIW, Dell was the goaltending champion in the WCHA, led the Sioux to the MacNaughton Cup, was First team All-Conference, has more wins than any other goalie in college hockey and owns the best GAA in college hockey, along with having the best career GAA of any goalie in North Dakota history. I'm not too worried about his play. North Dakota is very good. Will they be clutch in the NCAA Tournament this season? That remains to be seen. BC and UND do appear to be on a crash course for the Frozen Four, so long as neither slips up at Regionals.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        FWIW, Dell was the goaltending champion in the WCHA, led the Sioux to the MacNaughton Cup, was First team All-Conference, has more wins than any other goalie in college hockey and owns the best GAA in college hockey, along with having the best career GAA of any goalie in North Dakota history. I'm not too worried about his play. North Dakota is very good. Will they be clutch in the NCAA Tournament this season? That remains to be seen. BC and UND do appear to be on a crash course for the Frozen Four, so long as neither slips up at Regionals.
        And Lamoureux and Parise were also amazing goaltenders that coughed it up in the NCAAs too. Who knows what's going to happen. Know what I'm sayin?
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          And Lamoureux and Parise were also amazing goaltenders that coughed it up in the NCAAs too. Who knows what's going to happen. Know what I'm sayin?
          That's why I said it remains to be seen if they will be clutch in the NCAA Tournament this season.
          North Dakota

Comment

Exactly, and the two Miami goalies led the nation in just about every goaltending category as well (one of them was a Hobey Baker finalist) and they gave up 7 goals in the Frozen Four last year (Knapp giving up the first 3 goals on 9 shots before getting yanked).
            Boston College '12
            1949 2001 2008 2010 2012

Comment

Originally posted by BCHF View Post
              It is great to see the post "Trophy Season" arrive again.

I think one has to reflect back and give some credit to what these Eagles have accomplished up to this point of the season. Expectations were extremely high for this club and as such all flaws were dissected and commented on routinely as the regular season progressed. Many fans suggested perfection while others suggested double digit losses for this group of Eagles was to be expected. Rumors about early departures regularly consume the discussions and rightfully so, I guess.

But throughout the season this group has faced adversity, met it head on, embraced it and moved forward successfully to arrive at this important stage gate of the season. The group in general has made it to this point for the most part intact and appears to be hungry for more. Their collective development over the past several months is just one more statement about the quality of the leadership leading the hockey program, the student athletes themselves, and all those critical to success that support the program's on and off ice success.

I believe this group moves forward with resolve and purpose to leave their mark where few ever do...one game at a time, one period at a time, and even one shift at a time. Good things are ahead if this club remains hungry and resolute with respect to what is important going forward. They appear to be well prepared for the work left to be done and uniquely qualified for same.

Enjoy the next chapter as it should provide significant enjoyment to all true hockey fans.
              Well said!
              Originally posted by mookie1995
              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by bcfan131 View Post
                Exactly, and the two Miami goalies led the nation in just about every goaltending category as well (one of them was a Hobey Baker finalist) and they gave up 7 goals in the Frozen Four last year (Knapp giving up the first 3 goals on 9 shots before getting yanked).
                FWIW, we're not the '09-10 Redhawks, nor the '06, '07 and '08 Sioux, just like you guys aren't the '00 Eagles or '05 Eagles. Each season is different. North Dakota is strong in every area of the game, as is BC. Whichever team (not just UND and BC) plays to the best of their abilities and has a little luck go their way, will win. Saying that, if you wish to discount North Dakota, please do. I hope your players do the same.
                North Dakota

Comment

That's why I said it remains to be seen if they will be clutch in the NCAA Tournament this season.
                  Umm ya, when I said unproven, I thought it was clear I meant postseason...

FWIW, we're not the '09-10 Redhawks, nor the '06, '07 and '08 Sioux, just like you guys aren't the '00 Eagles or '05 Eagles. Each season is different. North Dakota is strong in every area of the game, as is BC. Whichever team (not just UND and BC) plays to the best of their abilities and has a little luck go their way, will win. Saying that, if you wish to discount North Dakota, please do. I hope your players do the same.
                  Doesn't really matter what fans say/do. I can guarantee you Jerry York will never allow his team to overlook any team this time of year.

Comment

Doesn't really matter what fans say/do. I can guarantee you Jerry York will never allow his team to overlook any team this time of year.
                    And I can guarantee you that Hakstol won't allow his team to overlook any team this time of year either, but look what happened last year to North Dakota w/Yale, or with BC in '05 w/Mercyhurst and then against North Dakota. It happens.
                    North Dakota

Comment

I'm not discounting UND. They're probably our biggest threat. Just saying just because a goalie has amazing regular season stats doesn't mean they will keep them up throughout the postseason. The postseason is a different animal.
                      Very wishful thinking of you to think Jerry York would allow his players to discount any team (especially UND) in the national tournament. If BC loses in the tournament, it won't be due to lack of preparation or focus. It'll be because they were outplayed. Who knows, maybe our teams won't even get to meet in the tournament this year. Last year everyone was anticipating a BC-UND matchup only to have it interrupted by the Yalies.
                      Boston College '12
                      1949 2001 2008 2010 2012

Comment

I'm not discounting UND. They're probably our biggest threat. Just saying just because a goalie has amazing regular season stats doesn't mean they will keep them up throughout the postseason. The postseason is a different animal.
                        Very wishful thinking of you to think Jerry York would allow his players to discount any team (especially UND) in the national tournament. If BC loses in the tournament, it won't be due to lack of preparation or focus. It'll be because they were outplayed. Who knows, maybe our teams won't even get to meet in the tournament this year. Last year everyone was anticipating a BC-UND matchup only to have it interrupted by the Yalies.
                        I completely agree. I think both of these teams think that they are the best, and they would both probably rather not play the other unless it is for the title. I also agree that even talking about a potential matchup at this point is getting way ahead of ourselves. Personally, I don't think they'll play each other. It's a gut feeling I've had since about November that one, or both, will fall in the Regionals.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Has there been any further update on Kreider? Last I heard was a rumor that he could be back for the regionals
                          I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

“I want to be like them.” -Scott Sandelin

Comment

Very wishful thinking of you to think Jerry York would allow his players to discount any team (especially UND) in the national tournament. If BC loses in the tournament, it won't be due to lack of preparation or focus. It'll be because they were outplayed.
                            This is what I was getting at.

One advantage I think BC has is they know they can do it whereas UND *thinks* they can do it. Might not mean much, but then again, when you get into those pressure situations I think it matters for something. Let's see how UND reacts if they're in a tight opening round game. Anyway, I'm not that concerned with who BC has to play or where they have to play them. Just make the tourney and go at it.

Comment

Umm ya, when I said unproven, I thought it was clear I meant postseason...

especially them

Comment

A little off topic, but I never saw any photos of BC posing with the Hockey East regular season trophy they won up in Durham. The trophy had to have been there, because it was either BC or UNH who was going to win it.

Do they not have teams celebrate on opponents ice? Did Joe Bertanga, or another Hockey East representative, make a presentation to the team?

Comment

Working...
                                X