No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
    I realize all that, but it doesn't change the fact that the CURRENT WCHA is EXTREMELY overrated. The number of championships each teams has won in the past doesn't change this fact at all.
    FWIW, the "current WCHA" is a very solid conference. They haven't had the high-end talent of Hockey East over the last 3 years, but if you were to have a WCHA-Hockey East type showdown (think B10-ACC Challenge in Bball), WCHA would probably win, based largely on their bottom half teams doing better. Hockey East would probably have the advantage (looking at the past 3 years anyway) with the top half.

We'll see what happens in the tournament this year. As you've said, the WCHA hasn't done very well in it over the last 3-4 years.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      but if you were to have a WCHA-Hockey East type showdown (think B10-ACC Challenge in Bball)
      Seriously, I'm all for this. How do we make this happen? I think it would be great for the players, coaches, fans...everyone.

It would have to be nine games, so one team from Hockey East and two from the WCHA would have to sit out each year. Obviously you'd try to match up teams as best you could. As an example, this year could have been:

BC vs. UND
      UNH vs. Denver
      BU vs. UNO
      Merrimack vs. UMD
      Maine vs. Minnesota
      Northeastern vs. CC
      Vermont vs. Wisconsin
      UMass vs. UAA
      Providence vs. St. Cloud State

Definite advantage for the WCHA from teams 7-9.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        Well, if you look at his "handle," my guess is he is young (Eaglefan06)...he probably doesn't realize that the WCHA has the top four schools in number of championships won (Michigan - 9, Denver & North Dakota - 7,
        Wisconsin - 6, Minnesota (and BU) - 5). Also, that they have won EVERY championship from 1948 - 1966 (except for 1949) and 23 of the 44 since then. "Recent" history to the contrary does not equate to "overrated."
        You sound like a Notre Dame football fan.
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Seriously, I'm all for this. How do we make this happen? I think it would be great for the players, coaches, fans...everyone.

It would have to be nine games, so one team from Hockey East and two from the WCHA would have to sit out each year. Obviously you'd try to match up teams as best you could. As an example, this year could have been:

BC vs. UND
          UNH vs. Denver
          BU vs. UNO
          Merrimack vs. UMD
          Maine vs. Minnesota
          Northeastern vs. CC
          Vermont vs. Wisconsin
          UMass vs. UAA
          Providence vs. St. Cloud State

Definite advantage for the WCHA from teams 7-9.
          It would be easy to make happen, but it would require each and every school in both conferences be on board. You would have it at the beginning of the season, and could switch which conference hosts games each year (or go by seed, ie HE #1, 3, 5, 7, 9 host, and WCHA #2, 4, 6, 8 host year 1, WCHA #1, 3, 5, 7, 9 host and HE #2, 4, 6, 8 host year 2). It would be a great way to kick off the year. Whichever conference won would have an advantage of getting more teams in come PWR time.

Of course, once the BTHC starts, everything gets thrown in the air. Supposedly there is negotiating to have Minnesota and Wisconsin schedule WCHA teams for non-conference games. That would make it difficult for the WCHA to have many other non-conference series. Given that, I think the only way it would work would be if the teams participating were given exemptions.

Another thought on the hosting, is that it could be at one location. Put it at the X when the WCHA hosts and at the Garden when HE hosts. Have it be a Friday-Sunday series w/3 games/day (12:00, 3:30, 7:00), and sell it as a package.

There are a lot of possibilities that I think would be profitable for the schools, and fun for the fans.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
            You sound like a Notre Dame football fan.
            Yeah...actually I started the program in 1917. I hired the first coach and I was the one responsible for bringing in Knute Rockne who kicked off (get it? "kicked off") the halcyon days of yore - the four horseman and all that stuff. But I still can't believe we lost to Army when Glenn Davis ran all over us that year! When we played, we wore leather helmets and got all muddy. Now they play on rubber, plastic grass and wear armour. Fortunately, I had left before that embarrassing 10-10 tie with Michigan State in '66. And DON'T suggest that I had anything to do with hiring Dan Devine!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              Yeah...actually I started the program in 1917. I hired the first coach and I was the one responsible for bringing in Knute Rockne who kicked off (get it? "kicked off") the halcyon days of yore - the four horseman and all that stuff. But I still can't believe we lost to Army when Glenn Davis ran all over us that year! When we played, we wore leather helmets and got all muddy. Now they play on rubber, plastic grass and wear armour. Fortunately, I had left before that embarrassing 10-10 tie with Michigan State in '66. And DON'T suggest that I had anything to do with hiring Dan Devine!!!
              but did you bring Ara in?

Comment

The difference is that Holy Cross rarely makes the tournament whereas BC is almost always in. If BC was the host and guaranteed to go to Worcester I'd imagine you'd see a significant increase in ticket sales prior to the NCAA selection show. That's definitely an advantage.

St. Louis regional starts Friday. Manchester starts Saturday.
                Ummm.... I knew that.. DOH! If I had a game ticket to see BC play this weekend I wouldn't forget which night it was.
                sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

FWIW, the "current WCHA" is a very solid conference. They haven't had the high-end talent of Hockey East over the last 3 years, but if you were to have a WCHA-Hockey East type showdown (think B10-ACC Challenge in Bball), WCHA would probably win, based largely on their bottom half teams doing better. Hockey East would probably have the advantage (looking at the past 3 years anyway) with the top half.

We'll see what happens in the tournament this year. As you've said, the WCHA hasn't done very well in it over the last 3-4 years.
                  The WCHA is absolutely extremely solid. Right on the same level as HE. However, everyone treats the WCHA like god's gift to the earth. They aren't. They aren't this unbeatable power that they are made out to be.
                  BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                  National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                  Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

The WCHA is absolutely extremely solid. Right on the same level as HE. However, everyone treats the WCHA like god's gift to the earth. They aren't. They aren't this unbeatable power that they are made out to be.
                    Like he said, the top tier of WCHA and HE are probably comparable, though I'd argue, other than BC, no team in Hockey East this year would have competed for the top half of WCHA, and its no contest, the bottom half of the WCHA would destroy the lower half of Hockey East, especially this year.

Comment

Must listen to this York audio...best interview I've ever heard with him. Touched on a lot of topics:

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/medi...acall/york.mp3

Comment

Long time Hockey East fan here. I try to catch a lot of the WCHA games on the higher channels and if you go by the eye test, the WCHA has had the deeper league for a decade now. Obviously, HE has had a very good team in BC and BU, UNH and Maine have each had one or two very good teams over the last decade, but WCHA is much deeper - top to bottom. Just look at Pairwise/KRACH if you don't want to go on the eye test alone.

Comment

Must listen to this York audio...best interview I've ever heard with him. Touched on a lot of topics:

That was good. Good catch.

I love the way Jerry deflects attention away from himself and the team and talks about the other teams in the tourney (especially on the 2 questions at the end from Jim Connoly). LOL... he's not disclosing any secrets.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

What to make of the question from Connelly about BC hosting? Seems like York kind of wants to travel. Did he also say that he would recommend after this season to Hockey East that the league should host the regional like other leagues are doing? I thought he did.

Lastly, I wonder if Gene is really telling him they can't host because of a potential home game for the FREAKING NIT. If Gene would rather have an NIT home game instead of an NCAA regional for hockey at Conte he should kill himself now. I mean... we're talking about the NIT. No one cares about it (except maybe Rutgers). And BC just left an NIT home game on the table this week for the 1st round.
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I think both conferences are ridiculously good. How much WCHA hockey have you seen? I'm betting I've seen "your" conference a lot more than you've seen "mine" over the past few years. I have watched WCHA teams for the entire time I've been a college hockey fan (since the mid-90s), and due to living in Boston for awhile, I have watched a ridiculous number of Hockey East games in person and on TV over the past 3 years. I still follow HEA very closely due to some great people I met, particularly at Northeastern and at BC, which has made me one of those rare breeds who cheers for both schools. For the previous two seasons, I think Hockey East was stronger. This year, I would take the WCHA in a heartbeat. As for #1 in each conference, we may find out in the semi-final, but both BC and UND are amazing teams and there is no way to deny that.

My original statement had nothing to do with WCHA vs. HEA. It was simply to not underestimate CC because they were only 4 games over .500 this year. They played a great schedule and beat some very good teams along the way, which is why they deservedly made the tourney. Whatever you think of the WCHA being overrated, the KRACH and PWR disagree. BC is a better team and would certainly win a 7 game series, but CC is not a team I would want to play against in a one and done scenario. They are young and have far exceeded our expectations, especially when factoring in the fact that just 7 seniors and juniors COMBINED have seen regular playing time this year. This is a team with nothing to lose.
                              Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                              -dggoddard

Comment

That interview is fantastic. Loved the reference to Jamie O'Leary hitting the crossbar vs Marty Turco.

York's answer to the hosting question seems to assume that BC would host at Conte. That could conflict with the NIT, and it shows a lack of creative thinking. But, it's clear that York couldn't care less where he plays, which probably drives the athletic dept's approach to hosting more than anything else.
                                Last edited by Zudnic; 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM.
                                Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Working...
                                X