No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
    Well, if you look at the KRACH ratings, CC played a much tougher schedule than BC (6th in the country for CC vs. 26th for BC). CC's record includes wins against North Dakota, Denver twice, UNO, RPI (win and a tie), Duluth (win and a tie), also 3 wins in 5 games vs. Wisconsin, which ended up being the difference between which of them was in position to make the tourney. CC isn't going to roll over and die for BC.
    That is because he WCHA is so **** overrated year in and year out.

Don't worry, the team isn't expecting CC to roll over and die for them, but it doesn't change the fact that BC is better than CC.
    Last edited by Eaglefan06; 03-22-2011, 02:21 AM.
    BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
    National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
    Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Maybe a BU fan could chime in here, but I have no reason to believe BU would simply stop hosting in Worcester unless this edict from the city of Worcester was true. I'm fairly certain I've seen it in print or talked about how they wanted Holy Cross to host. Now, if there's a falling out between the city and Holy Cross...they'd definitely come running to BU (we know Gene wouldn't give a crap).
      All correct. BU would still be hosting in Worcester if they could have.

BU got the regional there every other year with people going to Worcester to spend $$$. Then the mayor takes it away from them. It's like a dictator nationalizing his oil fields.

Comment

Well, if you look at the KRACH ratings, CC played a much tougher schedule than BC (6th in the country for CC vs. 26th for BC). CC's record includes wins against North Dakota, Denver twice, UNO, RPI (win and a tie), Duluth (win and a tie), also 3 wins in 5 games vs. Wisconsin, which ended up being the difference between which of them was in position to make the tourney. CC isn't going to roll over and die for BC.

Welcome to our world. Out west, unless we host a regional, we never get to play near home. Count your blessings that of late you have at least three places (Bridgeport, Manchester, Worcester) within a couple of hours of Boston who regularly host regionals, so it gives BC at least a chance of playing near home more often than not. Plus BC played in Worcester last year, so Holy Cross being the host had no effect. Unfortunately, this is the way of things. It sucks, but it is reality. In 2002, CC played at Yost as a #1 seed against Michigan. In 2001 (IIRC), same story for Denver. The last time CC made the Frozen Four (2005), they were the overall #2 seed in the tournament and played in Grand Rapids against Michigan in their regional final. More than 1200 miles, which is about the same distance for BC this year. #1 seeds in basketball can end up far from home as well.
        Good post. It is what it is. Nobody got "screwed" here, it's just an odd coincidence. Nobody ever really expects UNH to be a #4 seed in NCAAs - they usually have an excellent regular season. BC is lucky to usually have its regional within quick driving distance - perhaps we've been spoiled.

Calling on BC to put up the cash and start hosting regionals is valid, although obviously we now see that it'd be hard to find a suitable venue with Worcester off the table. But teeth-gnashing about how awful the system is because it hurt us this one time just comes across poorly.

Once they drop the puck, I doubt the players or coaches will care much about where they are - only about beating a very good Colorado College team.
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
          But the fact that Holy Cross is the host doesn't harm their bids one bit. They've gotten the regional every time. They aren't throwing away anything, just getting some extra exposure for the local school. No advantage to having an "outsider" school host. I really don't get why y'all think having BC be the host would somehow be an advantage for Worcester.
          if The Cross hosts every year or at least bids, fine, but in the years they don't , what is the issue with BU or BC hosting? Hence Carmine's "short-sighted" comment. Isn't it better for the city to have SOMEONE host it rather than no regional at all if HC isnt hosting?

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
            Good post. It is what it is. Nobody got "screwed" here, it's just an odd coincidence. Nobody ever really expects UNH to be a #4 seed in NCAAs - they usually have an excellent regular season. BC is lucky to usually have its regional within quick driving distance - perhaps we've been spoiled.

Calling on BC to put up the cash and start hosting regionals is valid, although obviously we now see that it'd be hard to find a suitable venue with Worcester off the table. But teeth-gnashing about how awful the system is because it hurt us this one time just comes across poorly.

Once they drop the puck, I doubt the players or coaches will care much about where they are - only about beating a very good Colorado College team.
            As a BC fan I don't feel like I (or we) got screwed. I agree we've been fortunate over the last several years to have had most regional games within driving distance and we are all probably just a little spoiled. I'm just disappointed that I won't get to go to any more games this year. As it is, I'll probably go to the 7:00p.m. Merrimack game in Manchester and then find a bar nearby to watch the BC game on TV at 9.
            sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

But the fact that Holy Cross is the host doesn't harm their bids one bit. They've gotten the regional every time. They aren't throwing away anything, just getting some extra exposure for the local school. No advantage to having an "outsider" school host. I really don't get why y'all think having BC be the host would somehow be an advantage for Worcester.
              Who cares if it's BC, BU, Merrimack, whoever, the tournament brings revenue into the city of Worcester, so if HC isn't hosting, the mayor should be recruiting schools to host. No advantage to having an outsider school host? Ask the hotels, restaurants, and local merchants if they care who hosts? Yes, ideally the local team would host and make the tournament, but if they are not hosting, the city needs someone to host. It's all about revenue and exposure for the city. So, yes, if it is true that they only let HC host in Worcester, it is very short sighted and they are doing their local businesses a disservice for no reason. (I mean, even HC gets exposure, as fans and their kids in Worcester for the games get to see the school and could possibly fall in love with the place)

Comment

Look, it is what it is. The rules suck, but at least they are clear. What bothers me is that UNH and BU have both taken steps to work the system to their favor, while BC has done nothing.
                Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

The difference is that Holy Cross rarely makes the tournament whereas BC is almost always in. If BC was the host and guaranteed to go to Worcester I'd imagine you'd see a significant increase in ticket sales prior to the NCAA selection show. That's definitely an advantage.

Originally posted by jdevoejr View Post
                  As it is, I'll probably go to the 7:00p.m. Merrimack game in Manchester and then find a bar nearby to watch the BC game on TV at 9.
                  St. Louis regional starts Friday. Manchester starts Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
                    That is because he WCHA is so **** overrated year in and year out.

Don't worry, the team isn't expecting CC to roll over and die for them, but it doesn't change the fact that BC is better than CC.
                    Pretty typical of a HEA fan to write the WCHA off as being overrated. Also typical of the WCHA fans to say the same about HEA. It is what it is, and in both cases, there is really no basis.

I'm not saying CC is a better team than BC. I've seen your Eagles plenty in the last couple years. I know full well what my team is up against, and I know they will have to basically play a perfect game to have a chance of winning.
                    Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                    -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Maybe a BU fan could chime in here, but I have no reason to believe BU would simply stop hosting in Worcester unless this edict from the city of Worcester was true. I'm fairly certain I've seen it in print or talked about how they wanted Holy Cross to host. Now, if there's a falling out between the city and Holy Cross...they'd definitely come running to BU (we know Gene wouldn't give a crap).
                      Well. I have no OFFICIAL knowledge, but I know that I heard that Worcester wanted a "local" school (read: Holy Cross) to host. Who knows what their motivation is (perhaps they felt that marketing-wise it would attract more fans?)?

Comment

Pretty typical of a HEA fan to write the WCHA off as being overrated. Also typical of the WCHA fans to say the same about HEA. It is what it is, and in both cases, there is really no basis.

I'm not saying CC is a better team than BC. I've seen your Eagles plenty in the last couple years. I know full well what my team is up against, and I know they will have to basically play a perfect game to have a chance of winning.
                        Well, if you look at his "handle," my guess is he is young (Eaglefan06)...he probably doesn't realize that the WCHA has the top four schools in number of championships won (Michigan - 9, Denver & North Dakota - 7,
                        Wisconsin - 6, Minnesota (and BU) - 5). Also, that they have won EVERY championship from 1948 - 1966 (except for 1949) and 23 of the 44 since then. "Recent" history to the contrary does not equate to "overrated."

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post

Why won't BC host? Has anybody asked GDF why BC does not host a hockey tournament? Boy if I go to the banquet and GDF is there, I think it's a valid question for him to answer since he's the AD. That's about it, it is what it is. Looking forward in watching the matchups in St. Louis. I have a feeling the game will be close with CC. Just keep winning! 4 more wins
                          NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            Well, if you look at his "handle," my guess is he is young (Eaglefan06)...he probably doesn't realize that the WCHA has the top four schools in number of championships won (Michigan - 9, Denver & North Dakota - 7,
                            Wisconsin - 6, Minnesota (and BU) - 5). Also, that they have won EVERY championship from 1948 - 1966 (except for 1949) and 23 of the 44 since then. "Recent" history to the contrary does not equate to "overrated."
                            What? Of course it does that's exactly what it does. If the WCHA used to be so fantastic and people are still using old numbers to say that it's still great doesn't that mean you're overrating it with outdated irrelevant facts?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              I realize all that, but it doesn't change the fact that the CURRENT WCHA is EXTREMELY overrated. The number of championships each teams has won in the past doesn't change this fact at all.
                              BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                              National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                              Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

I'll say this, with the most recent results over the past four seasons, you'd think the WCHA woofing would subside significantly--but it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X