No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
    Assuming they can't do Worcester for fear of stepping on Jack's toes, Providence is the obvious answer. But PC might put up a stink. Same problem with the Portland Civic Center and Maine or Hartford and UConn.

Mohegan Sun Arena is probably a bad option, I don't know if it's big enough or if it can host hockey. Plus BC wants nothing to do with anything remotely tied to gambling.

URI is building a new rink so that may be a possibility but I don't know how big it would be. Technically not a "campus" arena since they don't have an NCAA team (yet).

This leaves the two viable options as FleetCenter, which may be too big or too expensive but if ScottTrade Center can do it, we can too. The other option is MassMutual Center in Springfield which seems to host a lot of NCAA events.
    Fleet Center aka Garden doesn't even seem interested in a FF. Whether or not they can do it does't mean they will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
      Used to happen out west, but it created some god-awful controversies -- like a higher seeded team having to play Michigan at Yost. I think they'd like to avoid it, but for a long time out west there weren't very many suitable venues, and there weren't enough places that submitted bids. Don't have a good answer for you though. Holy Cross has been the host the last couple of times in Worcester and Providence is a more logical host for Providence.
      I know this has been mentioned before, but I still think the best solution is to have the leagues host the regionals. I "get it" with the money issue, but at least it would remove the constraint of forcing the host "team" into a particular regional. That alone would do more to "preserve the integrity of the brackets" than some of the other gerrymandering that is done. I have been lambasted for making the statement that UNH should have been moved. I REALIZE that under the present setup they can't be; I'm just saying that it's a lot more fair to move a #4 seed than it is to move TWO #1 seeds and make them travel thousands of miles. Just because this is the way it "is" doesn't make it right. And, just because I'm a BU fan doesn't mean I can't have an opinion, either!!!! I haven't dropped off the face of the earth just because my team is not participating this year...

Comment

Anybody know the cost in hosting in hockey and basketball? If UNH can do it in hockey why can't BC do it in hockey?
        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          I know this has been mentioned before, but I still think the best solution is to have the leagues host the regionals. I "get it" with the money issue, but at least it would remove the constraint of forcing the host "team" into a particular regional. That alone would do more to "preserve the integrity of the brackets" than some of the other gerrymandering that is done. I have been lambasted for making the statement that UNH should have been moved. I REALIZE that under the present setup they can't be; I'm just saying that it's a lot more fair to move a #4 seed than it is to move TWO #1 seeds and make them travel thousands of miles. Just because this is the way it "is" doesn't make it right. And, just because I'm a BU fan doesn't mean I can't have an opinion, either!!!! I haven't dropped off the face of the earth just because my team is not participating this year...
          Originally posted by BCeagle
          Anybody know the cost in hosting in hockey and basketball? If UNH can do it in hockey why can't BC do it in hockey?
          Having the leagues as sponsors has some appeal, but I'm not sure that it accomplishes much. If I'm the Verizon Center, I'd be happy to host a Regional if I'm assured that if UNH makes the tournament, they will be there. If I know that UNH might get shipped out, I'm not so sure I want the Regional. So I don't think it can be assumed that there would be a Regional in Manchester if HE was the host.

I'd guess that basketball regionals are an almost assured money maker, even in an NBA size venue, particularly if you include business to local hotels, restaurants, and bars. But I assume that hockey is much more risky (maybe not for the bars ) so the NCAA has to go to greater lengths, like guaranteering the sponsoring school gets to stay home, to get venues to bid for hockey regionals.

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
            Assuming they can't do Worcester for fear of stepping on Jack's toes, Providence is the obvious answer. But PC might put up a stink. Same problem with the Portland Civic Center and Maine or Hartford and UConn.

Mohegan Sun Arena is probably a bad option, I don't know if it's big enough or if it can host hockey. Plus BC wants nothing to do with anything remotely tied to gambling.

URI is building a new rink so that may be a possibility but I don't know how big it would be. Technically not a "campus" arena since they don't have an NCAA team (yet).

This leaves the two viable options as FleetCenter, which may be too big or too expensive but if ScottTrade Center can do it, we can too. The other option is MassMutual Center in Springfield which seems to host a lot of NCAA events.
            As someone else already stated, Holy Cross is the host when at Worcester. Can't be BC or BU. Can't remember whose decision (the city's?). Doesn't matter since that should never negatively affect BC. No offense intended towards Holy Cross.

I doubt the NCAA would be okay with the gambling thing either.

TD Garden - seems unlikely at this time of year that they'd be willing to give up 2 weekends in a row for college hockey. F4 at least gives 2 weekends for Bruins in between HE tournament and F4 although there is always a playoff scheduling worry there.

I just think the no intra-conference thing needs to be relaxed when it is going to send a #1 seed away because of a host at 4. Wouldn't be thrilled about a #2 seed being sent away either, but wouldn't argue it. If you are #3 or #4, win more games next time.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
            HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
            HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
              I just think the no intra-conference thing needs to be relaxed when it is going to send a #1 seed away because of a host at 4. Wouldn't be thrilled about a #2 seed being sent away either, but wouldn't argue it. If you are #3 or #4, win more games next time.
              THANK YOU!! Wow, someone who actually agrees without telling me to shut up or calling me a "whiner"! Woo hoo!

Comment

What's the point of a host anyway? Is it just the NCAA delegating the work of actually producing the event?
                Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                  TD Garden - seems unlikely at this time of year that they'd be willing to give up 2 weekends in a row for college hockey. F4 at least gives 2 weekends for Bruins in between HE tournament and F4 although there is always a playoff scheduling worry there.
                  Last year, the Xcel Energy Center hosted the Final Five and NCAA regionals in back to back weeks. Granted, the Twolves don't play there, but I think that's something that could be worked around for the occasional year the Garden hosted. Problem is, I just don't think they're interested in doing it. And really, I'm not in favor of NHL venues hosting these regionals anyway.

Comment

Springfield or Portland, ME appear to be the only viable options if Worcester and Providence are that anal about having only local teams host in their cities (very short sighted if that is the case).

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      I'm not in favor of NHL venues hosting these regionals anyway.
                      The only complaint I ever heard about Worcester was the bad ice - but this was BEFORE they had a minor league hockey team there. It has improved considerably since the ice has been down all season. Given that Holy Cross is not a "frequent" NCAA tournament participant, this venue would reduce the need to move teams from this regional. Also, it's a better atmosphere to have a smaller arena almost full than a cavernous arena half-empty. It's also closer to the Mass. Pike, making it an easier destination for almost anyone except UNH and Maine. I think the Cumberland County Civic Center is just too much on the perimeter. It would be an even longer trip for almost all of the schools (and their fans). I haven't been to the Springfield Civic Center (or whatever they call it now) in a couple of years, but it was always a dump. Providence was always good, also. Don't think Mohegan could work, but do they play hockey in Gampel? That's a new, bright venue and even though not RIGHT next to a major highway, is still pretty easily accessible. It's a "campus" site, but again, how often will UConn be in the NCAAs any time soon?

Comment

So let me get this straight.

1. Hosts get the advantage of playing at home.
                        2. In the Hockey East footprint, the only available venues are Worcester, Providence, Portland and Manchester. Ergo only Holy Cross, PC, Maine and UNH can host.

So it's not fair to have a school like BC host in their arena, but it's entirely OK to make it so only 3 teams can hold a "home" game. (Face it, ManchVegas and Portland are home games).

These rules are patently ridiculous.
                        Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Just wanted to say what a nice job the team did this weekend at TD Bank Center as individuals and as a group.

There were certainly many reasons for the club to lose faith this past weekend with the interesting referees, opponent repeated quick response goals, no Krieder, hostile crowd on Saturday night, tremendously motivated competition, disallowed goals, high quantity and at times somewhat questionable penalties, etc. but they won. In so doing they continue to amaze with their resolve to deliver wins consistently since the road loss to Merrimack way back when.

I personally point to the locker room leadership of Whitney, Gibbons, and Cross as "key contributors" of this teams "win despite adversity" mentality. I do not think we give this trio plus John Muse enough credit for the job they have done steering this truckload of talent towards another NCAA trophy. One cannot easily grasp how difficult it must be to lead a group with such high external expectation. When compared to last years strong leadership group one must remember that external expectations were no where near as high.

Just want to say "thanks" to these seniors and Mr. Cross for their outstanding leadership throughout the season and their role in driving the winning mentality it takes to get to the final prize that lies ahead. Never more evident then over this past weekend.
                          Last edited by BCHF; 03-21-2011, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BCHF View Post
                            Just wanted to say what a nice job the team did this weekend at TD Bank Center as individuals and as a group.

There were certainly many reasons for the club to lose faith this past weekend with the interesting referees, opponent repeated quick response goals, no Krieder, hostile crowd on Saturday night, tremendously motivated competition, disallowed goals, high quantity and at times somewhat questionable penalties, etc. but they won. In so doing they continue to amaze with their resolve to deliver wins consistently since the road loss to Merrimack way back when.

I personally point to the locker room leadership of Whitney, Gibbons, and Cross as "key contributors" of this teams "win despite adversity" mentality. I do not think we give this trio plus John Muse enough credit for the job they have done steering this truckload of talent towards another NCAA trophy. One cannot easily grasp how difficult it must be to lead a group with such high external expectation. When compared to last years strong leadership group one must remember that external expectations were no where near as high.

Just want to say "thanks" to these seniors and Mr. Cross for their outstanding leadership throughout the season and their role in driving the winning mentality it takes to get to the final prize that lies ahead. Never more evident then over this past weekend.
                            I think the leadership aspect of this team is very interesting....Many though the loss of Price, Smith, Lombardi would leave the team leadership and maybe affect chemistry. I think Gibbons, Muse, Whitney, lead a little differently (more by example), but just as effective. Its hard to question this senior class and anything they might say, as they have won everything, multiple times. Also, jerry York has simply done a masterful job of creating a family environment over his tenure, the players really do like each other, are together all the time and are generally very tight.
                            BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES: 2010 2008 2001 1949

Comment

we are incredibly fortunate and blessed many times over, thanks Jerry ..............nice post BCHF

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                                Springfield or Portland, ME appear to be the only viable options if Worcester and Providence are that anal about having only local teams host in their cities (very short sighted if that is the case).
                                What is short-sighted about it, if it was the city of Worcester's decision? I think Worcester has held a regional every other year since 2001 (my first) - first (during my time period - no idea prior) hosted by BU and then by Holy Cross. Holy Cross does a fine job. How does that negatively affect the city?

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                                HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                                HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X