Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont : Let the offseason begin...2011

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    Have the 4 state schools compete would be an interesting annual tourney and foster some rivalaries. I think the idea of the 4 state schools was however lost on the author of the blog.(
    They tried that for four years with the Governors’ Cup tourney with UNH, Maine, Lowell and Vermont. The contest lasted long enough for each school to host the tourney once.

Comment

Rankings of active NHLer's that were former NCAA players :

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...-college-grads

St. Louis is #1, Thomas and Sharp are both up there as well
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Looking at that top 5 you would think Vermont would have a bunch of NCAA titles, but alas when those guys played they didnt have
        the team depth that teams like BC and BU consistantly have.
        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Not sure if everyone say this, but one of the most amazing saves by Thomas.

Comment

Yet another great article on St. Louis:
            http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...ons-badge-hono

Comment

Some vintage Cats video courtesy of NESN:
              http://www.nesn.com/2011/05/tim-thom...on-at-uvm.html

Comment

two old UVM teammates shake hands

A nice handshake and hug between Tim Thomas and Martin St. Louis ...
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ax_qfn-GCE&NR=1
                GaryH - UVM Class of '73
                "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Re: two old UVM teammates shake hands

Cool. Vermont is known for its Maple Syrup and its hockey players. Both great!

Comment

Leonard named captain for the 2011-2012 season

Comment

Leonard named captain for the 2011-2012 season
                      It is the right call. Oldest player on the team, most mature, hardest worker, someone who does more with less god given attributes. Can not measure a kid's heart....
                      Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

I figured he would have a "A" and that Mckenzie would have the "C". Hope this means they wanted Brett more and that the other didnt fly the coup. We will wait to see who has the
                        "A"s.

Full story below

BURLINGTON, Vt. – University of Vermont head men's hockey coach Kevin Sneddon has announced that fifth-year senior Brett Leonard has been named team captain for the 2011-12 season.

"It is my absolute pleasure to name Brett Leonard as our team captain for the 2011-12 season," said Sneddon. "In doing so, I reflect back on Brett's time at the University of Vermont where he worked his way from being a non-dressed player to leading next year's team. He did this through hard work, a positive attitude, and improving in all areas of his game."

"There is no other student-athlete within our program who has given back to the community in so many positive ways. He is an example of what it means to be a Catamount hockey player: family, accountable, selfless, and tough, a true 'Brother of the Gut'. We are all very optimistic that we can make major improvements from last season's disappointment. There is no doubt in my mind that Brett will help our program get back to competing on a national level," continued Sneddon.

Leonard has led by example on and off the ice in during his career at Vermont. He enters his final season having registered 13 points (2g, 11a) in 66 career games.

Leonard, a forward, did not see any game action in 2008-09, but continued working hard and was named the team's most improved player following the 2009-10 campaign. He played in 23 games and recorded four points on a pair of goals and assists.

In 2010-11, Leonard played in all 36 games, dishing out nine assists for nine points. He recorded his first career multi-point game with a pair of helpers in a 6-5 victory over No. 19 Dartmouth.

Following the season, Leonard was honored with the Mike Gilligan Award, given annually to the player who distinguishes himself through leadership on and off the ice and through community service.

In the community, the South Burlington native had the team autograph a stick that was donated to raise money for a high school friend that was involved in a serious automobile accident. Leonard was a guest speaker at the Tilton School (the prep school he attended before coming to UVM) to talk to the hockey team about the college process. He was also a guest reader at the Shelburne Community School for National Reading Day and participated in the Teddy Bear Toss.
                        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                          I figured he would have a "A" and that Mckenzie would have the "C". Hope this means they wanted Brett more and that the other didnt fly the coup. We will wait to see who has the
                          "A"s.
                          I agree, that was my thought. I was mildly surprised. Leonard deserves it, but I really thought Mackenzie would end up with it.

I don't see Mackenzie leaving early. He had a good season and is one of, if not the best defensman on the team, but I he will benefit from another year. Hopefully anyways.

Comment

I agree, that was my thought. I was mildly surprised. Leonard deserves it, but I really thought Mackenzie would end up with it.

I don't see Mackenzie leaving early. He had a good season and is one of, if not the best defensman on the team, but I he will benefit from another year. Hopefully anyways.
                            Is it player chosen or coach chosen for both C and A? The sports I played it was always player but the coach "counted" the ballots....That's high school mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                              Is it player chosen or coach chosen for both C and A? The sports I played it was always player but the coach "counted" the ballots....That's high school mind you.
                              I believe it is player chosen.

Comment

Below is an interview with Mike Paliotta on the McKeens site:

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1218782

The following comment caught my eye, hopefully he is drafted by a team that values the college game:

McKeen's: It hasn't been entirely uncommon for prospects of your caliber after they're drafted to get a little bit of pressure to go the major junior route, and your rights are held by Saint John's. Do you anticipate any pressure to potentially go the major junior route and is it something you would consider?

Paliotta: I expect a little bit of pressure, probably, after the draft, maybe depending on where I go and little things like that. But, I'm really comfortable with the staff at Vermont and what they want to do with me as a player. I think they're really interested in turning me into a real good prospect for the NHL, and that's what I'm really interested in. Yeah, depending on the team that drafts me, if I get drafted, just where they want me to be playing. Obviously, you have to take that into consideration. But, as of right now, I'm just really looking forward to getting started at Vermont next year.
                                Also, there have been a lot of mock drafts on the internet, that project that he will be drafted as high as 65(early 3rd round) and as low as the early 100s (4th round). Here is one of the more complementary write-ups on him:

http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com/2011/0...-120_5344.html

On the schedules thread, they have determined the 4th competitor in the Catamount Cup, it will be Ferris State. We are playing Ferris State the first night, and Lake Superior to close it out. The other team in the tournament is RIT. Not the best field we've seen in the tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X