PDA

View Full Version : NCAA National Semifinal: Adrian vs. Oswego

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

NorthernLite
03-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Careful...there are some people who take offense to that kind of an attitude :D. I'm all for a good run by Adrian unless Norwich should encounter them in the final. We'll be there :D will you?

Yes we will !:)

OSU2010
03-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Careful...there are some people who take offense to that kind of an attitude :D. I'm all for a good run by Adrian unless Norwich should encounter them in the final. We'll be there :D will you?

Yes we will !:)

both getting cocky, I hope SNC and Oswego make it to the final just to spite you two.

LakerAlum09
03-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Let them be cocky. For those who are interested here is a short clip on the Lakers journey to Minny from NBC news station in Syracuse.http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=596272 They left Hancock at around 9 am and from being facebook friends with all the guys it looks like they are already having a great time there lol.

PrezdeJohnson09
03-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Let them be cocky. For those who are interested here is a short clip on the Lakers journey to Minny from NBC news station in Syracuse.http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=596272 They left Hancock at around 9 am and from being facebook friends with all the guys it looks like they are already having a great time there lol.

Half of Norwich has landed in minny.

GoBullDogsGo
03-23-2011, 06:14 PM
"IF" all the moons align properly this weekend, I really hope it is a Norwich vs Adrian final for all the marbles!! :)

NUProf
03-23-2011, 06:38 PM

The Laker crowd has been excessively cocky all year - to the point of annoyance to those of us who don't care much for their arrogance. I can live with NU not winning if Adrian does, or even if SNC does, however ... Oswego - not so much.

"IF" all the moons align properly this weekend, I really hope it is a Norwich vs Adrian final for all the marbles!! :)

That's exactly what I would like to see.

LakerAlum09
03-23-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't know of too many people on here that have been arrogant or cocky. I would say that we were far from it at times. I think there was a movement on here of people talking Laker fans off the ledge when Beckwith went down and we had a string of defeats. I think most of us were highly critical of the team the whole year as well, because we expect more out of them. I know that I have not been cocky at all and go in to each game believing that it will be a tough win. Needless to say soon as the puck drops the ol stomach will be churning until the last second ticks off. I will say that there may be a couple on here that shoot their mouths off but that shouldn't speak for all of us.

NUProf
03-23-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't know of too many people on here that have been arrogant or cocky. I would say that we were far from it at times. I think there was a movement on here of people talking Laker fans off the ledge when Beckwith went down and we had a string of defeats. I think most of us were highly critical of the team the whole year as well, because we expect more out of them. I know that I have not been cocky at all and go in to each game believing that it will be a tough win. Needless to say soon as the puck drops the ol stomach will be churning until the last second ticks off. I will say that there may be a couple on here that shoot their mouths off but that shouldn't speak for all of us.

Not all of you, just the ones who complained about not winning by enough and not enjoying the great ride you've had. Some act like Yankee (logically enough) or Red Sox fans in the way they expect everybody should accept that their team has no peers.

LakerAlum09
03-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Believe you me, I know that there are other "peers" out there. lol. There are should win games on the schedule every year with the way we recruit. But, I don't take anything for granted, which is why I bought my Frozen Four merchandise as soon as it went on sell. I heard one person say, "These are going to be worthless in a couple days when they win it" I felt like telling them thinking a little too far ahead are we?

I will agree that there are a group of fans that expect great things out this team every year and go nuts when we don't beat a "bad" team by 4 or more. I think every team has those types of fans it just so happens that we have a few who post on here more than the other teams. There is one thing about Laker fans that no one can deny and that is that we are very passionate about our team and know hockey. I think a few people get a little too passionate as if they were on the team sometimes though.:cool:

AC09
03-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Believe you me, I know that there are other "peers" out there. lol. There are should win games on the schedule every year with the way we recruit. But, I don't take anything for granted, which is why I bought my Frozen Four merchandise as soon as it went on sell. I heard one person say, "These are going to be worthless in a couple days when they win it" I felt like telling them thinking a little too far ahead are we?

I will agree that there are a group of fans that expect great things out this team every year and go nuts when we don't beat a "bad" team by 4 or more. I think every team has those types of fans it just so happens that we have a few who post on here more than the other teams. There is one thing about Laker fans that no one can deny and that is that we are very passionate about our team and know hockey. I think a few people get a little too passionate as if they were on the team sometimes though.:cool:

It's definitely great to have passionate fans. Its great for the fans to identify with their team, to feel like a part of it. Good luck to all you Great Lakers on Friday! I just hope the Bulldogs can stay out of the penalty box :eek:

OSU2010
03-24-2011, 12:39 AM
39 hours to go...

LakerEagleLover
03-24-2011, 07:14 AM
The Laker crowd has been excessively cocky all year - to the point of annoyance to those of us who don't care much for their arrogance.
Being arrogant, we don't care much for what you care about...:rolleyes: Hmmm...probably makes me cocky...:eek:

Annoying?:confused: I can live with that...:D

Seriously - here's to all four teams playing their best hockey, to refs who swallow whistles and to fans who make as much noise as they care to...:D:D:D

NUProf
03-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Being arrogant, we don't care much for what you care about...:rolleyes: Hmmm...probably makes me cocky...:eek:

Annoying?:confused: I can live with that...:D

Seriously - here's to all four teams playing their best hockey, to refs who swallow whistles for ticky-tack penalties and to fans who make as much noise as they care to...:D:D:D

Fixed your post
Totally swallowing the whistle can lead to ugly games, but otherwise I agree.
Oswego is still at the bottom of my list, but you know who's at the top :D

bakdraft21
03-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Its getting a little crankie on here...Must be close to game time:eek:

collegehcky2
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Its getting a little crankie on here...Must be close to game time:eek:

To be fair I agree with Prof 100%. Some posters have gotten spoiled with the past couple of years' success and this season it seemed that they failed to accept that teams lose games. Have the Lakers played a team that was better than them this year? I don't know, but they did lose to teams that played better than them on a given night. It's pathetic the way some people threw the team or players under the bus for losing a game.

On the other hand, more often than not, Oswego posters made concessions about why the Lakers lost and what needed to be done to prevent that. Frustration is acceptable, throwing a hissy fit, is not.

LakerEagleLover
03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
To be fair I agree with Prof 100%. Some posters have gotten spoiled with the past couple of years' success and this season it seemed that they failed to accept that teams lose games. Have the Lakers played a team that was better than them this year? I don't know, but they did lose to teams that played better than them on a given night. It's pathetic the way some people threw the team or players under the bus for losing a game.

On the other hand, more often than not, Oswego posters made concessions about why the Lakers lost and what needed to be done to prevent that. Frustration is acceptable, throwing a hissy fit, is not.

Try as you might to keep that crazy :eek: uncle in the basement, he just finds a way to get out....:D

Every family's got one...some a few more....

LakerEagleLover
03-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Preview from the Pal Times...

Lakers to meet Adrian in NCAA hockey semifinal game on Friday

By MIKE LEBOEUF
mleboeuf@palltimes.com
Published:
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:59 AM EDT
OSWEGO — After last year’s heartbreaking 4-3 loss to St. Norbert in the NCAA Division III semifinals, the Oswego State Lakers find themselves back at the Final Four this weekend.

The Lakers (23-4-0) will face Adrian (24-3-1) at 4:30 p.m. ET Friday in a semifinal game at Ridder Arena in Minneapolis, Minn. The winner will play in Saturday’s 8 p.m. title game against either St. Norbert (23-4-1) or defending national champion Norwich (22-5-3).

“They’ve worked extremely hard, their spirits are good, and we’re excited about going,” Oswego State coach Ed Gosek said. “We’re getting a second chance.”

Many players on the Laker roster were part of last year’s team that battled St. Norbert in a thrilling semifinal game. Jon Whitelaw’s goal with 2:32 left tied the game at 3-3, but St. Norbert’s Cody Keefer scored unassisted with 39 seconds left in the third period to end the Lakers’ championship hopes.

“Having been there last year, you learn from it,” Gosek said. “We didn’t play to our ability level. They will have a different attitude toward it. Now, they’ve got it more in perspective.”

The challenge figures to be just as difficult this time around. Adrian has won 13 consecutive games, and is unbeaten in its last 17. The Bulldogs’ last loss was to Manhattanville on Dec. 31. The Bulldogs overcame an early 2-0 deficit to defeat Elmira 5-3 in the NCAA quarterfinals.

Adrian is a veteran team with 17 seniors. The Bulldogs were also ousted by St. Norbert in last year’s NCAA Tournament, falling 4-3 to the Green Knights in the first round.

Like Oswego State’s quarterfinal opponent Bowdoin, the Bulldogs have skilled forwards and excel on the power play, converting at 29.7 percent (44-for-148).

“The speed part of it will be similar. They’re a quick, fast team,” Gosek said of the Bulldogs. “Adrian has more players with the ability to finish. If you give them room and time, they’re going to bury it.”

Seniors Shawn Skelly (19 goals, 26 assists) and Eric Miller (18-26) lead Adrian in scoring. They are followed by sophomore Zach Graham (14-21), senior Brad Houston (14-21), and senior Mike Dahlinger (12-23).
Senior goalie Brad Fogal is 24-3-1 with a 2.13 goals-against average. Senior all-conference defensemen Quinn Waller and Jeremy Klaver help keep opponents from getting too many chances at Fogal.

“We know they’re an aggressive team. They’re going to finish every check, every hit,” Gosek said. “We have to not only match that intensity, but try to bring more of it.”

The Lakers defeated Adrian 5-2 during the 2009-10 season at Campus Center Ice Arena. It was a close game throughout, with two empty-net goals making the final margin greater. “Last year’s game could have gone either way,” Gosek said.

Since its 7-5 victory over Bowdoin in the NCAA quarterfinals, Oswego State has focused on shoring up its defense and goaltending in preparation for the Final Four.

Although junior goaltender Paul Beckwith has been outstanding this season with a 19-2 record and a 1.93 goals-against average, he struggled against Bowdoin. He also didn’t get enough help from the Laker defense, which made some mistakes which led to Bowdoin goals.

Eliminating turnovers and tying up men in front of the net are two areas Oswego State is working to improve.

“We want to take away their time and space and make life difficult for their forwards,” Gosek said.

The Lakers figure to pose problems for Adrian as well. Oswego State has depth both on its forward lines and at defense. Junior Ian Boots (14-25) is the leading scorer, followed by senior Justin Fox (10-22), sophomore Luke Moodie (14-15), sophomore Whitelaw (12-16), sophomore Paul Rodrigues (13-12), and junior Andrew Mather (6-19).

Senior captain Kevin Huinink and senior Stephen Mallaro anchor the blue line corps.

The Lakers will be hungry to take their run further than last year’s team, but Gosek said Adrian also has some intangibles in its favor.

“They’ve got 17 seniors. It’s their first time there (at the Final Four), and they’ll want to give it their best,” Gosek said. “Both teams have skilled forwards, good goaltending, and solid defense.”

Top-ranked St. Norbert and Norwich will stage their own battle in Friday’s 8 p.m. semifinal game. Gosek said nearly all of his team’s attention has been on Adrian, but added that the Lakers will be prepared for their next opponent should they advance to Saturday’s championship game.

“Norwich is a little more offensive minded. St. Norbert plays a patient, defensive type of game. It should be a great game,” Gosek said. “When you get to this point, any one of the four teams left could win it.”

Gosek said it’s gratifying to get back to the Final Four.

“It’s a long, grueling season, and it’s rewarding for our players, our staff, and our program,” he said. “We’ve pushed the guys hard, and they’ve responded. We’re looking forward to this opportunity. We’re going to lay it on the line and have no regrets.”

LakerAlum09
03-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Spoiled is definitely the correct word to describe a lot of Laker fans. They don't know what it is like to have their hearts ripped out like the elder Laker fans (Dunning, I, Lou, ie). Even that is a stretch as Derek and I started going to games after their National Championship appearance in 03. But, there were multiple failures in the SUNYAC after that game. :rolleyes: I think a lot of the "spoiled" fans are the new one's that have become fans since the championship. Lastly, with the teams I like: Cleveland Indians, Buffalo Bills, New York Knicks, Syracuse Orange, I know what it feels like to lose often. :cool: My only winning team is the Wings.
For your viewing pleasure:
http://centralny.ynn.com/content/sports/537628/oswego-state-hockey-team-departs-for-frozen-four/

LakerFan99
03-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Spoiled is definitely the correct word to describe a lot of Laker fans. They don't know what it is like to have their hearts ripped out like the elder Laker fans (Dunning, I, Lou, ie).

I hear what you're saying, but if you graduated college two years ago...you're not an ELDER Laker fan.

LakerAlum09
03-24-2011, 03:22 PM
I have been going to games for 8 years now. So, I guess I'm not an elder. I was just trying to draw a dividing line between fans like myself and Dunning and the "New Age Laker Fans". I guess we are somewhere stuck in the middle.:cool::rolleyes: