Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Offseason Thread I: Not Winning and the ensuing drama.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread I: Not Winning and the ensuing drama.

Mel Pearson is supposedly interested. Ron Rolston supposedly isn't. I would guess Whitten applies. If Pearson comes, chances of B.Johnson coming likely significantly go up. Pearson may not be my first choice, but he may not be a bad choice. Pretty much any choice is better than prior status quo.
    Last edited by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS; 03-16-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I don't think F. Serratore would be interested, but I would hope that the athletic department at least tries to gauge interest from a guy like that. If Pearson is interested, I think that's the right decision...
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Not surprising that Rolston wouldn't essentially kick one of his best friends in the nuts. A Pearson rumor would be a bit surprising, but perhaps he sees that Berenson will be coaching U of M for as long as he's healthy and able.

Whitten may apply, but I question if he has the assistant coaching experience to be a serious candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Whitten may apply, but I question if he has the assistant coaching experience to be a serious candidate.
          It would be a big step up for Damon. I really like the guy a lot but his resume' doesn't quite have the chops to support a WCHA Head coaching job ... yet.

Guentzel?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Well, dare I say it, considering how long one serious Fooper on here has had an itchy trigger finger...

You may now name/speculate on candidates everyone.
            too soon.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Sounds like Russell was a well liked guy, its unfortunate that it didn't work out..best of luck on your coaching search, hopefully you can find the right candidate for MTU!

I'll throw this in the ring as I did on the LSSU forum a few weeks back when the topic of conversation was who LSSU should go after if we had a coaching search of our own this off-season....

John Harrington, a member of the 1980 U.S, Miracle on Ice olympic hockey team

Harrington worked in the 80s and early 90s as an assitant at Denver and St. Cloud State before becoming the head coach at St. Johns University, a D3 school in Minnesota. SJU was a god awful program before he took the job and he turned them into a contender nearly overnight, they went on to win numerous conference titles and make a handful of NCAA appearances during his tenure there, and he sported a .620 winning percentage during his 15 year career at SJU. He left there to coach overseas including a short stint as the head coach of Slovenia's national team, he currently coaches a men's pro team in Italy.

I read a book on the 1980 team and I remembered that it mentioned that Harrington always had the dream of coaching big time college hockey if that opportunity ever came along. It's certainly a longshot, but the guy has the appeal of being on the most famous hockey team in the history of the United States, has experience at big time WCHA programs and has a track record of turning around a downtrodden program , albeit at the D3 level. He is the head coach of an overseas team but the Italian league isn't exactly a fast track to an NCAA job the last time i checked, so I think it it most certainly at least worth a phone call to the man to gauge his interest.

The fact that MTU is a member of the conference that he coached in years ago would be a potential draw, especially since MTU is pretty close to his home state of Minnesota and plays many games in his home state each year....obviously this is a shot in the dark but for schools in MTU and LSSU's position, where is the hurt of taking that shot and making a phone call? All he can say is no right?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I just wish he could have caught some breaks over the last 3 years to really see what he could have accomplished.
                That's exactly it, Jamie didn't catch many if any breaks. Sad.

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
                Mel Pearson is supposedly interested. Ron Rolston supposedly isn't. I would guess Whitten applies. If Pearson comes, chances of B.Johnson coming likely significantly go up. Pearson may not be my first choice, but he may not be a bad choice. Pretty much any choice is better than prior status quo.
                It seems like Ben Johnson is leaning towards Michigan, anyone know why he hasn't committed yet then?

Comment

To forget about today's happenings for a bit. When will I, MeanEgirl, learn to log out when Dirty is around? I'm really not very smart, am I?
                  Former President of Mitch's Misfits, 2005-2008

"The fans are what makes college hockey so great." - Casey Borer

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                    That's exactly it, Jamie didn't catch many if any breaks. Sad.

It seems like Ben Johnson is leaning towards Michigan, anyone know why he hasn't committed yet then?
                    Mel Pearson is the top assistant at Michigan so he's probably the one recruiting Ben...if Pearson takes over at MTU, there is a good chance Johnson comes with him.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So depressed, I couldn't even find the correct thread at first - now moved.

I'm sure on the surface this seems like a great thing for the University, but I'm going on record as saying that this will result in two steps backwards for the hockey program. Let's hope this isn't glacier like in nature where we only make one step forward next season and we're even worse off that we are now. Hard to believe that could be possible, but odds of success are not on the side of a first year coach.

Thank you to Coach Russel for his years behind the bench. I certainly hope our next coach shares his passion for the game. *stick tap, stick tap, stick tap*

Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by MacInnes Diehard View Post
                        Maybe we should be thinking about new jerseys? Some sort of fabric that breathes better?
                        What we really need are jerseys that don't fit so tight in the neck. That should help eliminate the choking. Too soon?

Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          What we really need are jerseys that don't fit so tight in the neck. That should help eliminate the choking. Too soon?

Ryan J
                          Can't choke when you rarely have a lead in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            I don't think F. Serratore would be interested, but I would hope that the athletic department at least tries to gauge interest from a guy like that. If Pearson is interested, I think that's the right decision...
                            The Serratores will not be going anywhere anytime soon, if it is up to them. Their names were brought up in a "which coach(es) would you like to see as the Gophers next coach" discussion, and from all accounts, the Serratores futures are set.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Is Frank Wilson in the running. I got a call from him yesterday.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Is Frank Wilson in the running. I got a call from him yesterday.
                                Now THAT'S too soon!

Well played, sir.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X