Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Offseason Thread I: Not Winning and the ensuing drama.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread I: Not Winning and the ensuing drama.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    And I disagree that the team has lacked talent.
    love is blind. Did you watch UND @ MTU? Talent has been in awfully short supply.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      No, the prototypical game was a 4-2 loss in which Tech would compete for one period and then fold. .
      Which is exactly what happens in most cases when the talent gap is large between two teams; the skill takes over. You actually believe the players were giving up? You don't give them much credit do you.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
        Which is exactly what happens in most cases when the talent gap is large between two teams; the skill takes over. You actually believe the players were giving up? You don't give them much credit do you.
        I often wonder about the percentage of truly discerning hockey fans that post here. Maybe 25%? You have found one of the 75% majority if that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          I often wonder about the percentage of truly discerning hockey fans that post here. Maybe 25%? You have found one of the 75% majority if that's the case.
          Completely unrelated, every thought about making your blogspot site a TLD (top-level domain)? i.e. http://www.uaahockey.com or something similar?

If you don't want to hijack this thread shoot me an e-mail --- stouthockey (at) gmail (dot) com
          WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
          NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
          WIAC Championships: 10-11
          NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
          NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
            It appears to me that the step from Assistant to Head coach is a bigger step than from D3 to D1. The recruiting, the administrative BS, the alumni back slapping on top of the pressure of winning is very tough. The "up and coming assistant" approach just hasn't worked for us.

A successful D3 coach would be coming to a larger arena, a tougher conference and a bigger paycheck and therefore consider it a promotion. He might also have something to prove since people look down their noses at D3, never mind that St. Norbert could beat Tech on most nights. A D1 assistant would be coming to a smaller arena, a similar paycheck and may view it as a step sideways or a stepping stone. Either one will have to be willing to step into the breach and embrace the challenge of overcoming 30 years of bad hockey. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at the list of qualified candidates interested in this position...
            The problem I see with bringing a coach up from D-III is the recruiting end. He is not likely to have the network to recruit D-I talent. Now, someone who has been a successful D-III coach and is now a D-I assistant at a good program is definitely a viable candidate. As far as shelling out big bucks for a D-I coach with a record of success, if he is currently employed, is Tech going to not only offer him the money, but the assistant salaries, travel and recruiting budget that it would take for him to move the Tech program ahead of his current employer. If Tech and Michigan State are interested in the same candidate, what are Tech's chances? Remember the resources that State has beyond the coach's salary. State travels to NMU, they fly. Can MTU offer flights to Grand Forks, Omaha, Minnesota, St. Cloud and Mankato? To compete for that level of coach, take the salary he desires and add about another $150,000 a year for travel, recruiting and assistant salaries above what is already there. At that point, you're only giving him what he already has. You make it a lateral move. You have to go above and beyond what he already has. That's the way you can attract the marquee type names.
            Last edited by davyd83; 03-19-2011, 02:02 PM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
              love is blind. Did you watch UND @ MTU? Talent has been in awfully short supply.
              Not really a fair comparison in this day and age. It's likely that the two programs will never again have comparable levels of talent like they did in the 60s. However, you can't deny that if we'd had Baker, 100% healthy seasons out of Olson, Royer, and Gordic, and if Kattelus hadn't been a selfish crook, this team would've had better depth throughout the season, been less reliant on freshmen forwards, and had a much better shot at winning some games. I'm definitely not saying that they would've had a winning record, but I think we would've seen more wins and fewer blowouts.

If you go back and look at Russell's first 2-3 recruiting classes, compared to the classes since about 2007 or so, you can see the improvement in terms of average talent level.

It doesn't matter though, since none of that happened, and thus it was time for a new direction.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Not really a fair comparison in this day and age. It's likely that the two programs will never again have comparable levels of talent like they did in the 60s. However, you can't deny that if we'd had Baker, 100% healthy seasons out of Olson, Royer, and Gordic, and if Kattelus hadn't been a selfish crook, this team would've had better depth throughout the season, been less reliant on freshmen forwards, and had a much better shot at winning some games. I'm definitely not saying that they would've had a winning record, but I think we would've seen more wins and fewer blowouts.
                all true, and all part of the reasons why it's true that we did lack the talent necessary to compete this year.
                But here's the biggest knock on Russell, and one of the reasons I never wrote a letter in support of keeping him around: he didn't believe he could get top talent to come here, and according to many reports didn't even try in certain cases where it was available to him. (He once said in an interview, "we're not going to get that type of player to come here," in reference to blue chip NHL prospects)This lack of faith in what Tech could be beyond mostly a bunch of blue collar grinders playing 'dump and drop' was aggravating. I admit I'm a clueless optimist, but I don't see a reason to concede that we'll never be as good as UND in future. I want a coach that believes we can win a national title.

edit: that sounds too harsh. I do love our freshmen, and I think the team is heading in the right direction talent-wise.
                Last edited by geezer; 03-19-2011, 02:52 PM.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

I don't care where the guy comes from as long as he is someone that can motivate players like few can. A Mike Krzyzewski type. After that we can get the rest of the pieces put together fairly easily. These type guys really do get a lot more from their players than everyone else, but they do not grow on trees. Kids will go anywhere to play for a top coach like this, they will beat a path to your door.

To answer the question on Hakstol. No, imho he is not that great, but the program behind him is and so they win.
                  Tech can be a top program, but only if we have a staff that is highly respected by hockey people all over.
                  Certainly we need more than just a coach but if he comes he will ask for things.

Also, You have to understand the difference between the top WCHA teams and the bottom is not that far. A Frattin, a Zucker, and a couple of good defensemen.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Sorry for the double post. I am hopeful the travel issues someone referred to will be solved pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I don't care where the guy comes from as long as he is someone that can motivate players like few can.
                      I agree, this is why I've endorsed hiring Brad Aldrich as an assistant when there's been an opening. He has an incredibly dynamic personality (think Jamie Russell on charliesheen). He coached midgets while in college, then went to Notre Dame and they came near a national title (2006/07), went to the Blackhawks and they won the Stanley Cup, went to Vancouver with the Olympic team and won silver... always an assistant/operations guy, but a very highly respected one for a kid in his 20's. I think he could recruit very successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        I agree, this is why I've endorsed hiring Brad Aldrich as an assistant when there's been an opening. He has an incredibly dynamic personality (think Jamie Russell on charliesheen). He coached midgets while in college, then went to Notre Dame and they came near a national title (2006/07), went to the Blackhawks and they won the Stanley Cup, went to Vancouver with the Olympic team and won silver... always an assistant/operations guy, but a very highly respected one for a kid in his 20's. I think he could recruit very successfully.
                        He wasn't a coach at Notre Dame or Chicago. He was the video guy. And why is he not still in Chicago?
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I think whoever is head coach will have his choice of assistants.I don't think it is a separate hire.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            He wasn't a coach at Notre Dame or Chicago. He was the video guy. And why is he not still in Chicago?
                            lolz. can you imagine Tech hiring away an NHL coach? yeah, me neither. When did he quit the Hawks?
                            I think whoever is head coach will have his choice of assistants.I don't think it is a separate hire.
                            no doubt about that.

Comment

sorry for the double post. I am hopeful the travel issues someone referred to will be solved pretty soon.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Also, You have to understand the difference between the top WCHA teams and the bottom is not that far. A Frattin, a Zucker, and a couple of good defensemen.
                                This might be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here. One can only hope that the athletic leadership doesn't subscribe to this level of stupidity, because if they do, Michigan Tech will be in the basement of the WCHA forever.
                                Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X