Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Offseason Thread I: Not Winning and the ensuing drama.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread I: Not Winning and the ensuing drama.

there are no bad guys (or girls!) in this story. the admin, the coaches, the players, the fans (well, ok, most of them) have been class acts. Olson's words were great.

and it is what it is.

ok. I'm ready to move on. new coach???
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Here is my list of candidates from the previous thread.
      College Asisstants:
      Cary Eades - UND Top Assistant
      Steve Rohlik - OSU Top Assitant
      Steve Miller - DU Top Assitant
      Mike Guentzel - UNO Assitant
      Mel Pearson - Michigan Top Assitant

USHL Head Coaches:
      Eric Rud - Green Bay
      Mark Carlson - Cedar Rapids
      Mike Montgomery - Dubuque

Other:
      Ron Rolston - USNDPT
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Sorry about another butt in, interest and all....

But a reporter who posts on Rivals claims that Mel told him that he wants to retire at Michigan. No idea if it's true or not, but that is what is being reported.

My dad ('54)- really wanted Mel back when he was part of the running, and still holds it against the administration that they hired someone with NHL experience (I don't know who he's talking about- I'm sure you all do...). I'm sure he's not following it much. If you are planning on going to St. Paul, and wear Tech stuff, the odds of him starting to talk to you are high- and I'm sure he'll want to know the latest about the new coach....

Comment

I like MacD's idea. Jeff Jackson would be great hire. Unfortunately I think the odds are better that the 2012 Olympics get moved to northern Japan.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Sorry about another butt in, interest and all....

But a reporter who posts on Rivals claims that Mel told him that he wants to retire at Michigan. No idea if it's true or not, but that is what is being reported.

My dad ('54)- really wanted Mel back when he was part of the running, and still holds it against the administration that they hired someone with NHL experience (I don't know who he's talking about- I'm sure you all do...). I'm sure he's not following it much. If you are planning on going to St. Paul, and wear Tech stuff, the odds of him starting to talk to you are high- and I'm sure he'll want to know the latest about the new coach....
            Tim Watters...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

guessing ... Mel is a no go. not Jackson ... maybe Pooley?
              Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                Based on the reply I got, I do not think the ultimate decision was his. I got the feeling he might have been "strongly urged" by the University to resign.
                I assumed we all guessed that, without saying it. But I am curious to know if the "resignation" means he was willing to give up the last year of his contract without a buyout.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

D-III Head Coaches with experience???

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    I assumed we all guessed that, without saying it. But I am curious to know if the "resignation" means he was willing to give up the last year of his contract without a buyout.
                    that's the working theory.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Comment

We're never going to know for sure, so just believe whatever you want to, I guess.

For those of you hoping for Pearson, I still wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
                      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 03-17-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

My first thought was the administration told him they would not renew his contract after next year, and for the good of the program a resignation would help them out, since having a lame duck coach (although this wouldn't be "public knowledge") would hurt any recruiting.

Yeah, it's a little out there as far as theories go, that's just my gut feeling.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          But a reporter who posts on Rivals claims that Mel told him that he wants to retire at Michigan.
                          Mel's been at U of M for 23 years so he'll probably retire before Red does...
                          "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                          Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                            D-III Head Coaches with experience???
                            Tim Coghlin, St. Norbert, 388-108-40, 76.1%
                            "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                            Abe Lincoln

Comment

Considering how a respected D3 coach worked out for UAA 10-15 years ago, I will pass. What some coaches accomplish at the D3 level is commendable, but it's a different level of competition.

Comment

Yea, I'm sure he just donated $120K to the school who just got rid of him; never mind the fact that his future is unsure based on his stock coming from MTU and the fact that only so many jobs become available every year??????????????????????

Comment

Working...
                                X