X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
    yeah, but Grand Forks has all those things...

bottom line is that teh boys want to play for a specific coach in order to progress to the next level.

they all say why they went to this school or that, but it is all about who the coach is.
    Grand Forks may not be NYC, but UND has the best facilities in the country, is one of the great college hockey programs of all time and is right next door to those Canadian farm towns where a lot of their top recruits come from.

Comment

I will give Chris one thing. You most surely CANNOT run a subway trolley into mama's suv in Orono, Maine. Guaranteed !!
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        I completely agree. We may be stuck with whitehead for three more years, but there's no reason we have to be stuck with his useless assistant as well. The current AD, interim or not, should make it clear to TIMMAY that changes need to be made, and the first should be canning Danny and hiring someone who actually knows how to teach defense. After that, he can do something about the goalie coaching sityuation.

If the interim AD doesn't feel comfortable doing that, the new guy should, as on of his first acts.
        the part that you are missing is that the assistants do exactly what he tells them to do... no more and no less.
        Guy had put together a film of a few previous games to show to the defensemen and Tim asked him what he was doing... Tim made him stop and told him what he was to tell the defensemen.
        Corkum was talking to players after their shifts during his first month on the bench, telling them what they did right and wrong and what to think about.

Timmy stopped him, saying that "that is not how we coach at Maine"
        the captains are not allowed to rally the troops
        Grant was told to shut up while talking to the players

He made life impossible for at least 3 office workers, telling them how to put stamps on envelopes.

i am sure some of you know who used to work in that office for Shawn and for Tim... talk to her if you want to know what he is like.

He1l talk to the board members and past preisdents of friends of Maine hockey...
        it seems that (and I do not know for certaint) DWollstadt is about the only person involved with the friends of Maine hockey who can stand him IN THE LEAST

quotes from former captains, "I have no idea what he wants... mind games"
        "what can I tell you [my name] we don't have a very good coach"
        and from another player "I stay as far away from him as possible"

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
          Grand Forks may not be NYC, but UND has the best facilities in the country, is one of the great college hockey programs of all time and is right next door to those Canadian farm towns where a lot of their top recruits come from.
          then isn't the "find dining and museums" kinda irrelevant?

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
            The ultimate point here is that under the given conditions, Maine hawkey wont improve and its not where the fans want it to be. Might be okay for a UML or a PC right now, but not okay for the state of Maine. The only answer is a change at the top... OR the Maine fans could lower their expectations to be more reasonable and in line with where Maine is now in the food chain and will be for a long time unless the next Shawn Walsh falls in Maine's lap (and they start cheating) again.
            fyp.
            Originally posted by reBlur
            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
              fyp.
              be careful with the cheating allegations there are some of us who know what goes on behind the scenes at BC, but just do not yammer about it. speaking of Motherwell and O'Hanley... how come jerry kicked them off the team? and why didn't it happen sooner?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                be careful with the cheating allegations
                It's not exactly an allegation. Nice try turning things to another topic though.
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

While I wholeheartedly agree that TIMMAY isn't the right guy for Orono, I think that as much as it hurts, Maine fans have to accept the fact that the program will unlikely ever again reach the heights that it attained under Walsh, who through a perfect storm of circumstances, was able to build the program into the envy of the rest of D-1 hockey. Times have changed a lot since the glory days of the 90's and that is not 100% TIMMAY's fault.
                  Then Maine should rejoin the ECAC or drop the sport.

Comment

Exactly. Lets face it, after the success you had in the 90's and to some extent the early 2000's, few Maine fans are going to be happy getting to the HE semi's every other year and an occasional one and done in the NCAA's; but it my estimation, that's exactly what you're looking at going forward (at best)...
                    Seriously???........a few more years, and most Maine fans won't even remember the "glory years"........so yes, Maine WILL be happy with occasional trips to the Garden and NCAAs. No get back in your Boston hole and stop being such a pain in the *ss!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                      It's a solid point because as we've seen with Maine under Whitehead towards the last part of his FF runs, Maine was placed in some of the most absurdly terrible regionals ever created by the NCAA with powerhouses like Harvard, SCSU, Clarskon and UMass in their regionals.

But... at the same time, you're making my point about Frozen Fours. I think that "middle ground" is a lot smaller than most people probably think it is in their mind. Additionally, I think there is an overstating of the (dying) tradition, fans, and facilities that Maine has in place. It's not a huge distinguishing point. UNH has a whole state following them as well as UVM. BU and NU have rabid followings on campus as the only show in town for their school. And somehow BC leads the league in attendance playing 3rd fiddle to hoops and fb. Go figure. Facilities... BC and BU are clearly better. As is UNH. Tradition... losing relevance quickly and probably one of the lower priorities on a recruit's list IMO.

Just trying to have a reasonable discussion here. Not trying to stir the pot honestly...
                      B.S.

You just come on these Maine threads because we actually repond to your drivel (unfortunately).

Comment

Not suggesting that everyone wants to live in a concrete jungle like BU or NU, but a lot of recruits have stated that part of the allure of BC is the area in general. Lets face it, there's a million and one things to do in Boston, whether it's sporting events, concerts, museums, fine dining, shopping, Harvard Square, the North End, various conventions, etc, etc and even for a school like UNH, Boston is an easy day trip away. Been to Orono/Bangor many times, and unless you are an outdoorsman type, just not a lot going on off campus up that way.
                        Really?

I'm sure that the first thing on the minds of most college hockey recruits are malls, fine dining, and museums!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                          I'm not so sure about that. Walsh was never won who really looked at in-state kids
                          That's because there aren't many kids worth recruiting. Eric Weinrich was the first and only one he really coveted. Mike McHugh and Eric Fenton fell in his lap because they were walk-ons that no one in D1 ever recruited. The other poster claimed that plenty of "good players" from Maine went to other D1 schools under Walsh's watch. I called him out on it and he said he didn't want to argue over it and that the nature of recruiting has changed since then. Who doesn't know that? Walsh was one of, if not the best recruiter/talent evaluator with Grant that there was in all of college hockey. For crying out loud, he convinced the parents of the Kariya's to send all four of their kids to Maine 4,000 miles away in a different country. To think he wouldn't be able to adapt and not recruit in today's game is assinine. My whole point to it is that Whitehead has proven that he can't even pull his own head out of his ***** by allowing kids like Dumoulin and Billet to go elsewhere. I used to be a Whitehead supporter, but after this year, I'm ready to see him go. Walsh built something special and Whitehead was handed the keys. He needs to recognize that he can't take it to the next level and do the honorable thing and let someone else try.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                            B.S.

You just come on these Maine threads because we actually repond to your drivel (unfortunately).
                            Whatever you say Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by lewylew View Post
                              My whole point to it is that Whitehead has proven that he can't even pull his own head out of his ***** by allowing kids like Dumoulin and Billet to go elsewhere.
                              Obviously Dumoulin is the real deal but perhaps we should wait to for Billet to show up at BC and actually do something before we put that as a strike against Whitehead, no?

Comment

Maine fanz lower expectations......lololololol. That'll never happen. At least not real Maine fans. Nice try though.
                                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X