This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Paging e.cat. e.cat to the D1 forum. ACS has prepared your soapbox.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
      Geeezus, you solly sob ! Anybuddy but ecat.
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Okay, you asked for it

Dumoulin from Biddeford would have looked good in da bearz uni but Jerwy at BC snapped him up. Just another Maine kid lost to another rival
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Time to go I got chores to do....just happy to have ecat on ignore-infinity !!
          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            A rational and intelligent post.
            Irrational and unintelligent post.

Comment

So who's leaving early, any news on that yet? Any chance Nyquist sticks around another year?

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                So who's leaving early, any news on that yet? Any chance Nyquist sticks around another year?
                First line will all be gone.

Comment

Nyquist is a GONER 4-sure...Abbott & Flynn could be Flight risks also....with that said can you spell R E B U I L D I N G again.....scary.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                    Irrational and unintelligent post.
                    LOL, I was trying to think of the best way to put that, but you nailed it!

Comment

Not suggesting that everyone wants to live in a concrete jungle like BU or NU, but a lot of recruits have stated that part of the allure of BC is the area in general. Lets face it, there's a million and one things to do in Boston, whether it's sporting events, concerts, museums, fine dining, shopping, Harvard Square, the North End, various conventions, etc, etc and even for a school like UNH, Boston is an easy day trip away. Been to Orono/Bangor many times, and unless you are an outdoorsman type, just not a lot going on off campus up that way.
                      Before you write something like that, try to remember yourself and your biggest desires as a high school junior when you were trying to decide where to attend college. Were fine dining (large pizza with lots of pepperoni!) or shopping (using what for money?) or Harvard Square (what's that?) or museums (YGBSM!) or the North End (depends if her south end is cute too), or conventions(???) even in the same conversation as trying to get hot chicks (not a huge problem for most of these athletes no matter where they go to school) or the thrill of beating everybody in sight at hockey and maybe someday getting a chance to play in the NHL. THAT's what 17 year old hockey players think is important. You, as a 40 or 50 year old, might choose school in Boston for the exposure to cultural events, but kids don't think that way, especially serious hockey playing kids. The reality is that they have very little free time to do anything but go to school, study, work out, and play hockey and they want to WIN and get better at their sport, and right now Jerry York gives them the best chance to do that. Those other things are pretty much just distractions by comparison. If Maine had a coach like York who got the most out of his players and regularly was in the NCAA's, we wouldn't have any trouble getting our share of top players, no matter how limited the fine dining (actually, if you know where to go, it's not bad at all) is up here.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        He didn't seem to like Barry Clukey
                        Barry Clukey...
                        the answer to one of my favorite college hockey trivia questions... and the subject of a great "head case" anecdote...
                        who was the first Hockey East player to take a shoot out shot to break a tie?
                        Barry...

and the funny story...
                        At Northeastern, Walshy turns in his list of players who are gonna shoot, in order, he calls Barry over and tells him to go high blocker side on this goalie[or where to shoot, I cannot remember where]... barry tells Shawn to his face "I'm not taking ***** shooting advice from a GOALIE"

and that was about the end of Barry at Maine

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
                          Before you write something like that, try to remember yourself and your biggest desires as a high school junior when you were trying to decide where to attend college. Were fine dining (large pizza with lots of pepperoni!) or shopping (using what for money?) or Harvard Square (what's that?) or museums (YGBSM!) or the North End (depends if her south end is cute too), or conventions(???) even in the same conversation as trying to get hot chicks (not a huge problem for most of these athletes no matter where they go to school) or the thrill of beating everybody in sight at hockey and maybe someday getting a chance to play in the NHL. THAT's what 17 year old hockey players think is important. You, as a 40 or 50 year old, might choose school in Boston for the exposure to cultural events, but kids don't think that way, especially serious hockey playing kids. The reality is that they have very little free time to do anything but go to school, study, work out, and play hockey and they want to WIN and get better at their sport, and right now Jerry York gives them the best chance to do that. Those other things are pretty much just distractions by comparison. If Maine had a coach like York who got the most out of his players and regularly was in the NCAA's, we wouldn't have any trouble getting our share of top players, no matter how limited the fine dining (actually, if you know where to go, it's not bad at all) is up here.
                          yeah, but Grand Forks has all those things...

bottom line is that teh boys want to play for a specific coach in order to progress to the next level.

they all say why they went to this school or that, but it is all about who the coach is.

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
                            I hear what you're saying, but the players do go to Sox, Bruins games, etc, they do go clubbing and they do go into the big city for a good time. So while it may not be the biggest draw, I do think it attracts a lot of players.

Comment

Right. And how many teams are recruiting the BCHL these days?

Whatever the future of Maine hockey is, it's best to leave Walsh out of the discussion. The 80s aren't coming back. The question is whether it's reasonable even to aspire to more than what Maine has right now (given that program shakeups don't come with guarantees).

I kind of think it's at least worth a shot. What's the worst that could happen? Maine could keep missing the NCAAs, occasionally miss the HEA tournament, or flame out like this year? I think you see my point.
                              Right. you make a change, and end up exactly where we are now. You stick with the staus quo, and end up exactly where we are now.

I vote for making the change. You never know, things might happen.

You would think that of anyone who might notice a goalie's weaknesses, it would be a former goalie.
                              Last edited by rufus; 03-13-2011, 03:08 PM.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                                I'm not so sure about that. Walsh was never won who really looked at in-state kids
                                he also did not take a lot of time looking at Mermaids or unicorns.

do you have ANY idea what the quality of hockey is in Maine compared to states where hockey is actually played?
                                I was at the alfond about 6 years ago watching Maine practice right before a game between select squirts. My kid played on our town's third best team, never mind a regional select team....
                                I was thinking abount sending him to Maine hockey camp, but I wanted to make sure that he would have fun and that the quality of skaters was close to him... I asked who the kids were who went to Maine camp... the parents told me that it was select players from around Maine--junior black bears... I was a little worried until I saw them play... I knew that my kid would walk around any of them, so i sent him to the camp... and besides one kid from Brewer, my kid was head and shoulders better than all of them.

Maine youth hockey season is half the length of others', and back when Walsh was there, there were about 6 programs in the whole state... of course he was not going to recruit out of Maine... but it was talent ONLY, not personality.

Comment

Working...
                                X