This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Didn't read the article on the front page, but it is about the emergence of NoDak's 'tender due to - you guessed it - a goalie coach. Imagine that!
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
      If Van Dyke is in the game for the Abbotsford Heat tonight, he'll be playing against Gustav. Pretty cool.
      Tanner put one in against Rockford tonight... Jimmy Hayes and Ben Smith got he minus... Tanner assisted on another goal as well, bringing his season plus minus into the plus.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        . TIMMAY's amazing, always finding someone to blame for his lousy coaching.

Shades of Lem Randall, gets a ton of ice time, including on the #1 PP unit, only to be cut once the season's over, while Theo Anderson spent all year sitting in the stands.
        (I don't know about Lem;to my eye,he was another one of Tim's never-gonna-pan-out recruits...Just another semi-talented grinder.)

But I heartily agree with you on your other point.The one thing that sticks in my craw the most is how Whitehead never seems to assume any public responsibility for his team's failures.I would be much more willing to accept where Maine hockey is right now if the head coach would say "my bad" once in a while,instead of laying the blame on a group of 18-23 YOs that he's supposed to be in charge of.

Tim can't handle the job he has,and he's pretty much stealing from the university every time he collects his bloated paycheck.I have to wonder how he convinces himself that he deserves the money.I really do.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-02-2011, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          (I don't know about Lem;to my eye,he was another one of Tim's never-gonna-pan-out recruits...Just another semi-talented grinder.)

But I heartily agree with you on your other point.The one thing that sticks in my craw the most is how Whitehead never seems to assume any public responsibility for his team's failures.I would be much more willing to accept where Maine hockey is right now if the head coach would say "my bad" once in a while,instead of laying the blame on a group of 18-23 YOs that he's supposed to be in charge of.

Tim can't handle the job he has,and he's pretty much stealing from the university every time he collects his bloated paycheck.I have to wonder how he convinces himself that he deserves the money.I really do.
          It's pretty easy for him: ARROGANT...SAVE Maine Hockey/DUMP Whitehead.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
            I'm with ya on this issue Rufus.....I dont buy the Sirman is like Blodgett and cant cut it syndrome. .
            I never thought Sirman was a D1 goalie, no truly competitive goalie looks at the bench wanting to get pulled in a playoff game. He was recruited late in the summer after Bish left. He may have gotten better with a real coach but guess what it appears Maine hasn't got one. No goalie has improved since Grant left
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I never thought Sirman was a D1 goalie, no truly competitive goalie looks at the bench wanting to get pulled in a playoff game. He was recruited late in the summer after Bish left. He may have gotten better with a real coach but guess what it appears Maine hasn't got one. No goalie has improved since Grant left
              Found this interesting............maybe discontentment amongst the ranks ?.........another reason to trim the goalie roster to 3? Forcing Timmy's hand? From Station Nation website St John Sea Dogs

http://stationnation.blogspot.com/20...-surfaces.html

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 21, 2010

ANOTHER GOALIE RUMOR SURFACES

Sunday, Sports Juniors reported that the Saint John Sea Dogs were rumored to be interested in an 18-year old goaltender currently playing in the United States.

Today, the website says that the goaltender in question is Martin Ouellette who is currently playing with the NCAA’s University of Maine Black Bears. Ouellette was a seventh round pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 2010 National Hockey League Entry Draft.

The Quebec born goaltender, who turns 19 on December 30, has played in just three games for Maine this season, going 1-1-1 with a 2.25 goals against average and a .908 save percentage.

According to Hockey’s Future, in 2009-10 “as a senior at Kimball Union Academy in New Hampshire, Ouellette played 27 games with a 1.61 goals against average and .925 save percentage.”

Here is the Hockey’s Future scouting report on the netminder:

Ouellette is a very calm goaltender. He plays with a tremendous amount of poise for his age. He's good at cutting down angles and challenging shooters, and he's also a fairly adept puck handler for a goalie. Consistency is his glaring weakness as he's known for occasionally allowing a soft goal.
              This rumor certainly comes out of left field. It makes sense for the Sea Dogs to go after a non-overage goaltender, but it is rare for a Canadian junior team to dip into the NCAA mid-season and grab one.

A Bangor Daily News article written on December 13th doesn’t have any indication that Ouellette is leaving the Bears program in the second half.

“One of the big positives is we’ve learned a lot about our team,” said Maine coach Tim Whitehead about the first half of the season. “We’ve started to get clarity in our goaltending position. It has been solidifying. Dan Sullivan has been our most consistent goaltender and has played the bulk of games. But Martin Ouellette has come on very strong and shown tremendous improvement and promise. And you can’t rule Shawn Sirman out of the mix, either.”

If true and Ouellette will be arriving on the scene, it likely means the end of Jacob DeSerres’ time in Saint John. DeSerres has been very good for the Dogs but continues a rotation with Frederic Piche for net duties. With DeSerres being a 20-year old and only playing half of the games, it isn’t the best use of an overage slot.

Sports Juniors continues to bring up the possibility of an overage defenseman coming to Saint John in Steven Delisle or Yann Sauve - who are both Sea Dogs property. Delisle is reportedly out for several weeks if not the whole season because of shoulder issues while Sauve is a bit of a mystery. The Manitoba Moose recalled the Vancouver Canucks prospect last week from the East Coast Hockey League.

The Dogs have some time to work things out as they do not play again until December 28th in Charlottetown. The QMJHL trade deadline is January 6.

Comment

Of all the things to criticize Whitehead for . . . letting Sirman go is not one of them. Especially if that story has any truth to it.

Of course, Whitehead contributed to the problem by giving scholarships to 3 young goalies. (Each had at least a partial, right?)

We'll know we've seen a Whitehead if Sirman is told to pack his bags and Ouellette bolts the team anyway.
                Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-02-2011, 11:34 AM.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                  Found this interesting............maybe discontentment amongst the ranks ?.........another reason to trim the goalie roster to 3? Forcing Timmy's hand? From Station Nation website St John Sea Dogs

http://stationnation.blogspot.com/20...-surfaces.html

Martin leaving for Major Jr is a rumor thats been around for awhile. Can't blame the kid if he wants more playing time

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                    that said... I should not have come across as saying thta you were "wrong" you were right.. he had no right to complain, given his stats... but his stats do not tell the whole story and he had the best stats of the three (goalies who have NO D in front of them)
                    Sirman at UNH on the Saturday night was the worst performance I think I've ever seen by a purported D1 goalie. I just don't see him turning it around. He doesn't pass the smell test for me.

The D was bad most of the year....but it was the soft goals that killed the team. You could see them hang their heads...they weren't mentally tough enough to overcome another softy. Part of that is on the leadership group (tim, captains) but as a goalie you need to be able to make a timely save when the opponent has seized momentum. Sirman, more than the other 2, appeared incapable of doing that.

As the goalie coach goes...is this where Maine's location hurts? Boston teams can have volunteer goalie coaches because they have jobs in the area and its a metropolis. Who are the goalie coaches up that way? Are there 100 goalies programs to choose from for high schoolers and kids in youth hockey in the Bangor area? There's gotta be something....and if not, Tim needs to get a real goalie guy in Kerluke's spot, yesterday.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Martin leaving for Major Jr is a rumor thats been around for awhile. Can't blame the kid if he wants more playing time
                      That article was from December. One would assume (hope?) that Whitehead would have chatted with Ouellette re: his future plans before dumping Sirman.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        Which is probably true, but TIMMAY seemed to think he was good enough to be on the PP unit.

"And you can’t rule Shawn Sirman out of the mix, either.”
                        Well, I guess you can. Good job TIMMAY, way to evaluate that talent.
                        Last edited by rufus; 04-02-2011, 01:03 PM.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          That article was from December. One would assume (hope?) that Whitehead would have chatted with Ouellette re: his future plans before dumping Sirman.
                          Yeah
                          Thats probaly where the rumor started, it was about the middle of the season when I heard it first. Hopefully your assumption is right. I think Martin has the right temperment to be a good goalie but he needs work. Hopefully he stays in good shape over the summer and comes back ready to go.

Comment

Maine Hockey Alumni Weekend scheduled for July 30 - Aug.1 in Portland. Alumni hockey game and the Shawn Walsh Memorial Golf Tournament are scheduled events. Should be more info coming later.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                              You can assume,but with that said if I was Maine coaching staff I would be very nervous over the next few months...young players change there minds and he does want playing time...my biggest gripe and i'll get over it is the loss of not having Matt McNeely this season..(USDT this season and heading to UMD this fall). Thats Hockey of late at UMaine.

Comment

Rachel Lenzi reporting that Jeff Dimmen just signed with the Portland Pirates.

Comment

Working...
                                X