X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by DownEastblkbearfan View Post
    I'll be wiping my AZZ with my ticket renewal forms and sending back!
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Its interesting that he would say anything about it though. Someone must have asked him that question.

If kellen is gone will Bob be far behind?
      My fears exactly. And then TIMMAY will crow, "You internet nutcases wanted a shakeup in the coaching staff, well, here ya go". And we'll see the team go back to being crappy at faceoffs, in addition to being crappy at defense and goaltending.

Comment

I think Mangene would make a good fit centering Flynn and Abbott. But if offensive production is the main (pardon the pun) focus, I think Diamond is the better option. Diamond centering Flynn and Abbott would allow Maine to showcase a more balanced offensive threat. With Flynn's quick realease from just outside the slot, Abbott's terrific shot from around the perimeter and Diamond's knack for scoring around the net Maine would be very hard to defend. But with saying that, I feel any number of combinations of Flynn, Abbott, Diamond, Mangene and Beattie would have the potential to be successful. Also, people might have forgotten that Shemansky is but one injury-riddled season removed from a 20-plus freshman year. Swavely and Anthoine have also shown spurts of positive play that the Black Bears will rely heavily on in 11-12. The Hockey East has seen some of its top teams in 10-11 lose some of their best players and next season should prove to all out there who has bal!s to come back and compete. Who has the biggest heart in the Hockey East?

Comment

Well one thing for sure is that a 3 goalie rotation does not and would not work...losing Sirman imo is no big deal...now both Sullivan/Ouellette can play the rotation Friday/Saturday...Sullivan is good enough goalie,but in playing one and watching one...he is not the one who could carry a team over a 34 game slate...with that said,Ouellette has to be focused to play...he has alot of upside but his head has to be in the game or he'll be just another talent that never came through...he had the chance to witness it this season,hopefully he comes back to show us all he belongs and Sullivan knows he can only get better....for this team to have a chance the goaltending has to be way better then last year...

Comment

Originally posted by maineiac37 View Post
            I think Mangene would make a good fit centering Flynn and Abbott. But if offensive production is the main (pardon the pun) focus, I think Diamond is the better option. Diamond centering Flynn and Abbott would allow Maine to showcase a more balanced offensive threat. With Flynn's quick realease from just outside the slot, Abbott's terrific shot from around the perimeter and Diamond's knack for scoring around the net Maine would be very hard to defend. But with saying that, I feel any number of combinations of Flynn, Abbott, Diamond, Mangene and Beattie would have the potential to be successful. Also, people might have forgotten that Shemansky is but one injury-riddled season removed from a 20-plus freshman year. Swavely and Anthoine have also shown spurts of positive play that the Black Bears will rely heavily on in 11-12. The Hockey East has seen some of its top teams in 10-11 lose some of their best players and next season should prove to all out there who has bal!s to come back and compete. Who has the biggest heart in the Hockey East?
            Flynn and Abbott have excellent and accurate one timers...
            what good will mangene do centering them if he drives to the net?

next... with a one line team next year, I have a feeling that only about 2 teams will have trouble defending against Maine.

Abbott did well because opponents had to key on Nyquist's line.
            Last edited by KnowItAll; 04-01-2011, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maineiac37 View Post
              Flynn and O'neill are named captains for the 11-12 season. Abbott and Cornell are given A's. Best of luck to them and the rest of the Black Bears.
              unEFFing Believable.
              as NICE as those guys are, there is ONLY one with any personality whatsoever.
              this is like having Buddist Monks as captains... TImmy has finally done it.... 3 of them are quiet clones of him.. . no rah rah nothin' no rallying the troops, not a peep out of any of the 3, and the other one will only joke around (not that those are bad traits for PEOPLE, but these are not traits of leaders.

Comment

Its interesting that he would say anything about it though. Someone must have asked him that question.

If kellen is gone will Bob be far behind?
                i betcha a nickel he is gone, or he is head coach...he used to have some fire, up until he worked 4 months with Tim

Comment

It seems pretty clear that Abbott does not have a free hand in letting Whitehead go.I get the feeling that Steve must wait for another disappointing year to unfold before UMaine gives him that economically-sound option to pursue.(If he can make that difficult but perfectly defensible choice re:Cindy,then dumping Tim should be a cakewalk,right?)

Hard times at Maine these days.Both my parents and half my cousins played for/went to HS at Lawrence,so of course I rooted for Cindy.She just didn't get it done.And Tim is clearly just playing out the string.Maine won't contend for anything for a couple of years,but I like having a Bear in charge,as opposed to the string of users we've had,who regarded the school as a whore/stepping-stone.

(And I hope Bob Corkum sticks around long after Tim is coaching elsewhere.)
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-01-2011, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    It seems pretty clear that Abbott does not have a free hand in letting Whitehead go.I get the feeling that Steve must wait for another disappointing year to unfold before UMaine gives him that economically-sound option to pursue.(If he can make that difficult but perfectly defensible choice re:Cindy,then dumping Tim should be a cakewalk,right?)

Hard times at Maine these days.Both my parents and half my cousins played for/went to HS at Lawrence,so of course I rooted for Cindy.She just didn't get it done.And Tim is clearly just playing out the string.Maine won't contend for anything for a couple of years,but I like having a Bear in charge,as opposed to the string of users we've had,who regarded the school as a whore/stepping-stone.

(And I hope Bob Corkum sticks around long after Tim is coaching elsewhere.)
                    It will be interesting to see what happens next,Whitehead has to know he's in hot water...I worry that Corkum could be next to go,but not by Abbott...but in a assistant coaching change by Whitehead...that situation I hope DOES NOT happen,but you never know. I keep saying it that as long as Whitehead is around this program continues to sink further...hopefully he gets the door next season. PAINFUL to watch/listen as this program wittle's away for all to see.

Comment

Don't the players pick the captains?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        Don't the players pick the captains?
                        Yes, the players vote but the coach counts them!

Comment

Sirman doesn't sound to impressed
                          http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...e-hockey-team/

Players and coaches pick the captains
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Yeah, I won't be either, but that is just because I can be a competititve individual and a sore loser. Frankly I don't think there much difference between the Sirman case and the Blodgett case - tough decisions had to be made and they were on the short end of them. It's nothing personal, but it stinks if it's you!
                            Go Big Red.

Comment

Originally posted by john g View Post
                              Yes, the players vote but the coach counts them!
                              Someone is trying to stir up trouble here!

With regards to the news on Sirman and Corkum, sorry to lose them. IN Kelen's case he never had a chance to prove how good a player he could have been. Very unfortunate aspect of the sport these days. As far as Shawn is concerned, I think we all knew there was no way we'd go with 3 again. His biggest mistake was showing up his freshman year out of shape, which forced Maine to bring in 2 tenders last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                                Someone is trying to stir up trouble here!
                                Who....me????? When sometimes the choice of captains was called into question, Shawn would say "The players vote, but I count 'em!!"

Now that DaCosta has signed with Ottawa the landscape has evened just a bit....question is, has it leveled enough for Maine to compete for home ice???? Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X