X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by Bucky T. Badger View Post

1- Cindy failed for the same reasons that she was successful as a player. Based on the players leaving this seems quite reasonable, she's likely quite the taskmaster, perhaps even a Capt Bligh. I hope that she learns from this bitter experience and finds success in her next coaching position.

2- The 2nd argument that Solloway makes is perhaps the most interesting, that the University bears some responsibility for this in failing to mentor her, as a new coach. I don't know how true this is. It's plausible, but what real evidence do we have of a university failing? Does the University have a responsibility to mentor new head coaches? Is Cindy's failing a University failing?
    I subscribe to #1(as I said yesterday), I've seen news stories where she would shovel the driveway with her dad and they would play with gloves on outside in January. She was/is driven to succeed, not everyone is going to be like that and I could see a disconnect developing especially when things go bad. More work will make it right and if you don't see it there is something wrong. Some might respond to that but I'd guess many will not as evidenced by kids leaving the team.

Who would mentor her and would she accept help?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
      Wow.......TIMMAY sorta freaking out in the new PPH article.......LOL.......

Said Whitehead: "I have to admit I was a little surprised. I think everybody was. We certainly didn't know it was even being considered at this time."

Blodgett, along with other coaches, has been under fire on message boards and internet sites, a sign of the times, said Whitehead that can disguise opinion as fact.

"It's an unfortunate part of the college coaching business that people on the outside really have very little idea of the challenges facing programs and coaches on the inside," said Whitehead. "What may seem obvious from the outside is not even close to the reality of what's going on."

http://www.kjonline.com/news/cindybl...011-03-29.html

Poor TIMMAY......quite a turnaround in attitude from this yesterday's photo op with his son and Abbott! The heat is on......
      Cozzie sounded a little nervous too.

"I would say there was a suddenness to this that surprised most," said Maine Football Coach Jack Cosgrove. "It speaks to the decisiveness on Steve's part. And I don't know when the last time someone was (fired). A lot of coaches have left here for various reasons. This one is a directive."
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

......... I don't know what the grounds for that would be, but as said before, if she doesn't have reasonable cause this will further diminish her reputation and yet, fighting the dismisal would be entirely consisistent with what I've heard and seen of her work ethic, drive and intensity.
        My sentiments exactly. I would like to think that she was just not ready to be successful as a head coach. With more time at the assistant level she may have been. I would suspect that she was asked if she felt truly ready to accept a head coaching position when she was hired. With very little time at the assistant level, it was a monumental task. The sad part is she is now 35 yrs. old with a career ahead of her and it has now suffered a severe set back. In keeping with her drive and personality, I wonder if the AD gave her the option to resign and she refused. If she perseveres with a lawsuit, her future may become even more clouded and her reputation further tainted. I agree with Walrus on the mentoring issue. Very sad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          It's really a shame that Cindy failed as a coach. She gave her heart and soul as a student athlete in placing Maine women's basketball at the forefront. She was also responsible for launching Palombo's career. Unfortunately, she couldn't coach and couldn't recruit. Now she will be remembered as a failure to some people and I feel badly for her.
          Sounds like the Larry Bird story, a great player but not coaching material.

Comment

2- The 2nd argument that Solloway makes is perhaps the most interesting, that the University bears some responsibility for this in failing to mentor her, as a new coach. I don't know how true this is. It's plausible, but what real evidence do we have of a university failing? Does the University have a responsibility to mentor new head coaches? Is Cindy's failing a University failing?
            Patently ridiculous IMHO. You don't hire a Division 1 women's basketball HEAD coach to mentor and plod along. That's why some of us thought it was stuipid to hire a coach with a year of experience at Brown of all places. You don't cut your teeth as a Division 1 head coach. Go spend five years as an assistant to Mccallie if she'll have you or some other such place. The only responsibility the U has here is hiring someone who wasn't ready, and Blake James' failings at hiring coaches and everything else about his job have been well documented here.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
              Patently ridiculous IMHO. You don't hire a Division 1 women's basketball HEAD coach to mentor and plod along. That's why some of us thought it was stuipid to hire a coach with a year of experience at Brown of all places. You don't cut your teeth as a Division 1 head coach. Go spend five years as an assistant to Mccallie if she'll have you or some other such place. The only responsibility the U has here is hiring someone who wasn't ready, and Blake James' failings at hiring coaches and everything else about his job have been well documented here.
              Exactly. Ultimately another failure that should be hung on James. You dont hire someone who's not ready to handle the job unless you're ready to provide the resources required for mentoring that position, if absolutely needed and asked for. But, and a big but it is, head positions are, or at least should, implicitly ones filled by experienced people, not folks requiring a lot of mentoring. It would be interesting to know who wanted who more when she was hired. Did the U want her more than she wanted the job? If James promised some sort of help to her because she may have admittedly asked for it at her age, then once again its on the University, specifically Bobo James.

Hopefully Cindy will have more brainz than to turn this into a complete and utter circle jerk. She failed...maybe she wasnt ready, but she failed..end of story. Phck the feelings and all that touchy feely chit.....its over, get over it and move on.
              Last edited by acs64; 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM.
              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

What sort of mentoring are we actually talking about?

It sounds to me as if Walsh might have shared some tips about how to manage all the other things that go along with being a D1 coach. He didn't tell anyone how to run their football program.

It's one thing to mentor someone to make sure that they're happy in their job, or at Maine, or to make sure that they don't burn out.

But fercryingoutloud if you have to mentor someone so that they can perform core elements of their job, then - red flag - you've made a bad hire.

Blodgett needs to let this go and move on.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

According to WLBZ sports tonight, Blodgetts attorney says Cindy has no intention of taking any kind of legal action against UMaine and That he was retained for legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    According to WLBZ sports tonight, Blodgetts attorney says Cindy has no intention of taking any kind of legal action against UMaine and That he was retained for legal advice.
                    "Blodgetts attorney"......what ta phck is this world coming to ?....before you sue me for using the p word, I must consult my phkn lawyer...geeeezus h crisis..

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                      "Blodgetts attorney"......what ta phck is this world coming to ?....before you sue me for using the p word, I must consult my phkn lawyer...geeeezus h crisis..
                      I don't know, if I was dealing with a breached contract, or negotiating the early end of a contract, I would sure as heck want a lawyer to look over the paper work.

Call me crazy.

Comment

Nothing wrong with having lawyer make sure you get what you deserve.

Cindy just got mentioned on PTI as she is 5 points ahead of Maya Moore in career scoring

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          I don't know, if I was dealing with a breached contract, or negotiating the early end of a contract, I would sure as heck want a lawyer to look over the paper work.

Call me crazy.
                          Doesnt sound to me like there were any negotiations at tall going on here. I suspect contract verbiage was already in place for an early departure for either parties convenience. And one of those was simply exercised. BAM, end of story. Granted maybe she wanted to make sure she wasn't getting hosed (no pun intended), but geezus, cant people read and understand a contract anymore ??

Comment

I wish her well.
                            Go Big Red.

Comment

Blodgett will hold a presser at 2 pm today in Bangor. Should be interesting to see what she says

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Blodgett will hold a presser at 2 pm today in Bangor. Should be interesting to see what she says
                                I know it's a long offseason and a lot can change between now and the fall, but this article seems to contain good news about key members of the team returning next season.
                                You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                                ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                                ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                                ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Working...
                                X