Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
    Young up and comer has got to be Nate Leaman
    Nate is being mentioned as of of the leading candidates for UML

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Isn't that true about any job? People ***** about me when I don't perform the way they think I should whether they know diddly squat or not about what I do. Obviously none of us have the public scrutiny TImmay does but I don't make 175,000 bucks either. Its his job to know the ins and outs whether we do or not.
      To play devil's advocate (just for a moment, not sure how long I can pull it off), its possible that the University hasn't had Whitehead's back when he's asked for things that he thought he / the program needed. I would have no trouble believing that the previous AD nickeled and dimed him. 10 years ago, Whitehead's own hire represented the easy way out.

But it *is* about results. Nobody takes a D1 coaching job with the expectation that it will be for life. I have a really hard time believing that Maine has been bad to Whitehead. He's not the highest paid coach in D1, but he's made a nice chunk of money regardless. He's had some success, and nobody doubts that he can run a clean program. There's another job out there with his name on it, and it's probably not a bad job. And it's time.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
        To play devil's advocate (just for a moment, not sure how long I can pull it off), its possible that the University hasn't had Whitehead's back when he's asked for things that he thought he / the program needed. I would have no trouble believing that the previous AD nickeled and dimed him. 10 years ago, Whitehead's own hire represented the easy way out.

But it *is* about results. Nobody takes a D1 coaching job with the expectation that it will be for life. I have a really hard time believing that Maine has been bad to Whitehead. He's not the highest paid coach in D1, but he's made a nice chunk of money regardless. He's had some success, and nobody doubts that he can run a clean program. There's another job out there with his name on it, and it's probably not a bad job. And it's time.
        I've said it before and I'll say it again. IMO, Whitehead's fit to be a D3 coach, not a D1 coach. Less pressure to win, more of a laid back atmosphere overall. I dont know if Beaney is still at USM down here, but he's been a pretty good flop over the many years hes coached the D3 Huskies. Great facility down here, but just an awful coach who ought to be retiring. On the other hand, Beaney's brother has had tremendous success at Middlebury College over the years. Anyway I think the USM job would be perfect for Timmay. Sure it would be a helluva pay cut, but ur paid what ur worth, right? No pressure, good facilities, proximity to Portland...etc, etc.

I cant quite see Timmay getting another decent job in D1 at this point. He's tainted material...with a reputation for mediocrity that has followed him. If any D1 program doesnt care much about winning and is happy as hell middle to bottom of pack, then hes the guy...but how many D1 programs want that? Answer...none that I know of. But, I think Timmay would be or could be highly successful at USM while at the same time giving this area a successful program to follow, and a chance to quelch criticism about his coaching as well as giving the locals some good college hockey to get behind. Chit, look at the success that Mike McShane (former PC coach) has had at Norwich.
        Last edited by acs64; 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM.
        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
          I did not think that Abbott wanted the job in the first place..........band-aid solution.......the University admin. is in complete disarray with no clear leadership......simply amazing that they are all falling over themselves.......
          It was my understanding that Steve DID want the job and was planning on/already was actively pursuing the job as it relates to the National Search Pres. Kennedy said he would launch in the fall. I think from an administration stability standpoint, this makes sense. (New Pres and all the changes that brings, etc, etc).
          You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
          ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
          ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
          ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
            J Palombo-McCallie back to Maine? Save some of that rum for me
            Yeah, and maybe she can bring her husband back with her so he can give out extra credit in Econ class for those students who bring in women's basketball ticket stubs...

...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
              Woodward and Whitehead are now on the watch list............
              You forgot Cosgrove...

...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                . IMO there are way more hockey donors (or used to be) than womens BB donors. .
                One name in regards to Womens BBall donors, Steve King He outweighs all the peasant hockey donors

For those who don't know Womens BBall was pretty freakin popular during Cindys days, whether it was more or less than Hockey I don't know. I doubt it generated the income of hockey but...
                The win over Stanford in the NCAAs was pretty cool especially when you consider Cindy had graduated the year before. I think Jamie Cassidy is the 2nd best player ever at Umaine, she had Kevin Mchale moves in the post. I'd bet she make a good coach. Be interesting to see how long it takes to name a new bball coach
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

a look back at 2007:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...26043731_x.htm

Comment

Cindy apparently not content to leave the program gracefully. Bangor Daily News reporting:

"Blodgett, 35, declined to comment Tuesday, except to say she plans to hold a press conference Thursday at a place and time to be determined. She was quoted by WLBZ-TV in Bangor as saying in a text message that she had been “fired without cause.”

Blodgett reportedly has hired an attorney, Tom Nale of Waterville, who had negotiated on her behalf when she was drafted in the first round, sixth overall, by the WNBA’s Cleveland Rockers in 1998. "

This could be a wrongful discharge lawsuit in the making.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      Cindy apparently not content to leave the program gracefully. Bangor Daily News reporting:

"Blodgett, 35, declined to comment Tuesday, except to say she plans to hold a press conference Thursday at a place and time to be determined. She was quoted by WLBZ-TV in Bangor as saying in a text message that she had been “fired without cause.”

Blodgett reportedly has hired an attorney, Tom Nale of Waterville, who had negotiated on her behalf when she was drafted in the first round, sixth overall, by the WNBA’s Cleveland Rockers in 1998. "

This could be a wrongful discharge lawsuit in the making.
                      Hey that happened with the last coach also, or at least the threat of a lawsuit.

I'd have to hear why she thinks was wrongfully terminated but if its some BS I'll quickly change my opinion of her, not that she cares
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

another blast from the past

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2193/index.htm

I have to say I am a little sad to see her go out like this, but really all she needed was a mediocre record and she probably would have had a job for life

Comment

What I find interesting about the Blodgett situation is she is receiving a one year buyout of 109K paid from private sources. I find it hard to believe that the U could convince private donors to fork over 100K + to get rid of the womens BB coach but can't come up with at least 2 years of Timmay's salary to buy him out. IMO there are way more hockey donors (or used to be) than womens BB donors. I bet if you asked the 5000 +/- fans who regularly attend games, and I know there are at least 5000 true fans of Maine hockey out there. Ask them to put up $100 a piece, thats 500k. I know I would give $100 in a nanosecond to get rid of Timbo. It's not a bad idea, and one that could be done very easilly imo.
                          Maybe they can add it with our season ticket info. Would you like to donate 100 to buy out the coaches contract! HELL YES SIGN ME UP HELL I'll THROW IN 500!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            One name in regards to Womens BBall donors, Steve King He outweighs all the peasant hockey donors

For those who don't know Womens BBall was pretty freakin popular during Cindys days, whether it was more or less than Hockey I don't know. I doubt it generated the income of hockey but...
                            The win over Stanford in the NCAAs was pretty cool especially when you consider Cindy had graduated the year before. I think Jamie Cassidy is the 2nd best player ever at Umaine, she had Kevin Mchale moves in the post. I'd bet she make a good coach. Be interesting to see how long it takes to name a new bball coach
                            You are correct. Womens BB was very popular back in the day. And the reason for that was they had a great deal of success. Now nobody cares one iota. I just don't want the same thing to happen to the hockey program. And that, unfortunately is the road it's on right now.

Comment

Solloway's article in the PPH today re: Cindy

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/St...s-vision.html#

Comment

Solloway's article in the PPH today re: Cindy

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/St...s-vision.html#
                                Like a few others have said, I think it is quite sad that Blodgett didn't have the success as a coach that we all wanted. For two consecutive years at Maine she led the nation scoring, and she could have gone anywhere for college - but she choose Maine. For nearly a decade, through her high school and college years, she was a sensation. What a shame that this is the way that things end...

Like someone else said, the BDN story made it sound like she might attempt to fight the buy-out. I don't know what the grounds for that would be, but as said before, if she doesn't have reasonable cause this will further diminish her reputation and yet, fighting the dismisal would be entirely consisistent with what I've heard and seen of her work ethic, drive and intensity. It will be interesting to see what comes out of tomorrow's press conference. I wish her well in whatever her next endeavor is.

Solloway raises some interesting points in the link above, two in particular:

1- Cindy failed for the same reasons that she was successful as a player. Based on the players leaving this seems quite reasonable, she's likely quite the taskmaster, perhaps even a Capt Bligh. I hope that she learns from this bitter experience and finds success in her next coaching position.

2- The 2nd argument that Solloway makes is perhaps the most interesting, that the University bears some responsibility for this in failing to mentor her, as a new coach. I don't know how true this is. It's plausible, but what real evidence do we have of a university failing? Does the University have a responsibility to mentor new head coaches? Is Cindy's failing a University failing?
                                Go Big Red.

Comment

Working...
                                X