This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

I realize we have high standards and those standards don't include almosts or with a bounce of the puck we're there. But Blodgett was totally inept, its not surprising that a true rink rat didn't make a good coach. You could never be in the gym enough to satisfy her. Her team quit on her, 4 of them just quit including the player with the most minutes. Tim on the other hand hasn't been totally inept. Its not as easy to justify. Maybe I'm wrong on his length of service if he doesn't turn it around though. Look like Abbott means business and I'll bet he's trying to justify it and I'll also bet other coaches are on notice
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
      Steeeeeerike 1!

Steeeeerike 2!
      abbott had you out in front on the change-up in the dirt

come on stevie, strike this bum out!
      It was a good call on his part, she sucked more than Timmay

Comment

As fun as it would be, I hope this Steve guy is more even-tempered than that.

Firing Whitehead isn't the hard part. That's easy. It's the hiring part that they have to be careful with. I'd think this would be obvious after the last 10 years.

To change directions, what do we have to sell to our incoming hockey savior? Unless anyone has some great ideas about blackmailing a top coach, we're going to have to sell them on Maine. Coaches want some combination of money, prestige, opportunity to win, and security.

1. We don't have money. Maybe if boosters get involved, Maine can make an average offer. Maybe even a bit above. But that's much easier said than done. We're probably below average.
        2. There are prestigious jobs in big-time athletic programs (Big10) and prestigious hockey jobs (BU, North Dakota), and elite jobs in both (Michigan). Maine is not in either of those groups. Sad to say, but true. Maine may still be a notch above average, but that's it. It's not a top job.
        3. Opportunity to win will be determined by how much support (e.g., budget) the University will give. Hard to know that without a more permanent AD.
        4. Security is the easy one.Given the above 3 challenges, Maine isn't going to be in a position to lowball a prospective coach on years.

Which raises the stakes even further. If you're not making a short-term offer, you really can't afford to make a bad choice.

If this were about firing Whitehead, I'd say let her rip. But it's making a good hire. Don't eff it up, Maine. There is something worse than angry fans. No fans.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
          Cindy Blodgett has been fired!

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/w...20110329t18eho

Looks like Abbott is rolling up his sleeves......
          King money?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            I realize we have high standards and those standards don't include almosts or with a bounce of the puck we're there. But Blodgett was totally inept, its not surprising that a true rink rat didn't make a good coach. You could never be in the gym enough to satisfy her. Her team quit on her, 4 of them just quit including the player with the most minutes. Tim on the other hand hasn't been totally inept. Its not as easy to justify. Maybe I'm wrong on his length of service if he doesn't turn it around though. Look like Abbott means business and I'll bet he's trying to justify it and I'll also bet other coaches are on notice
            So true. Timmy is way better than Cindy, like it or not. It's not "easy" to get rid of her because her shirt's hanging in Alfond, but it is easy based on her performance. Its also the perfect new sheriff in town move....scares the other coaches into performing better.

Still the fundraising aspect is a puzzler. 107K in private buyouts that could have gone to the Gym renovation, Steve's going to have to find that $$ someplace. A few weeks ago Pete Warner made the Walrus point that Cindy was probably safe for another year because of the money, same reason Tim appears safe. I'd love to know where the cash came from and why.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
              As fun as it would be, I hope this Steve guy is more even-tempered than that.

Firing Whitehead isn't the hard part. That's easy. It's the hiring part that they have to be careful with. I'd think this would be obvious after the last 10 years.

To change directions, what do we have to sell to our incoming hockey savior? Unless anyone has some great ideas about blackmailing a top coach, we're going to have to sell them on Maine. Coaches want some combination of money, prestige, opportunity to win, and security.

1. We don't have money. Maybe if boosters get involved, Maine can make an average offer. Maybe even a bit above. But that's much easier said than done. We're probably below average.
              2. There are prestigious jobs in big-time athletic programs (Big10) and prestigious hockey jobs (BU, North Dakota), and elite jobs in both (Michigan). Maine is not in either of those groups. Sad to say, but true. Maine may still be a notch above average, but that's it. It's not a top job.
              3. Opportunity to win will be determined by how much support (e.g., budget) the University will give. Hard to know that without a more permanent AD.
              4. Security is the easy one.Given the above 3 challenges, Maine isn't going to be in a position to lowball a prospective coach on years.

Which raises the stakes even further. If you're not making a short-term offer, you really can't afford to make a bad choice.

If this were about firing Whitehead, I'd say let her rip. But it's making a good hire. Don't eff it up, Maine. There is something worse than angry fans. No fans.
              A couple of things........I am OK (but not happy) with Whitehead sticking around another season now that we know that the AD in charge is proactive. This at least provides us HOPE that if next season is a total disaster then there is at least precedence for canning him IF they can come up with the buyout money. Let's face it......women's basketball is peanuts comapred to the revenue that hockey generates. They will not let this situation languish for another 2 or 3 years.

I also think that Abbott & Co. will be looking for ways for UMaine to become more competitive in the coaching marketplace.......being able to offer them more $$$$ or other perks.

Comment

It's really a shame that Cindy failed as a coach. She gave her heart and soul as a student athlete in placing Maine women's basketball at the forefront. She was also responsible for launching Palombo's career. Unfortunately, she couldn't coach and couldn't recruit. Now she will be remembered as a failure to some people and I feel badly for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                  It's really a shame that Cindy failed as a coach. She gave her heart and soul as a student athlete in placing Maine women's basketball at the forefront. She was also responsible for launching Palombo's career. Unfortunately, she couldn't coach and couldn't recruit. Now she will be remembered as a failure to some people and I feel badly for her.
                  So I just saw the news on the BDN page and came here, very entertaining reading the predictions about no big shake-ups for the next 2 years! I also read that article about the Abbott hire by Larry (after hearing that Cindy had been fired) and noted that there wasn't a comment in there from her.

I don't think there can be any doubt now, Abbott isn't hear to bide time and wait for the next election - much better to be able to point to something and say "I turned X around."

As other posters have already commented, as frustrating as the Men's hockey team has been, Cindy's record was clearly worse, she is paid less per year, and she only had one year left -- so much easier to find the money to buy her out, and perhaps easier to justify despite her number hanging from the rafters. Like Runsub5 said, I truly feel sorry for that she is ended her UMaine career with such a black mark - but she made the bed and will have to lie in it. I do, sincerely, wish her the best and would attempt to tell her that if we ever crossed pathes and I had the courage.

Let it also be a lesson to us that gifted players don't always make the best coaches. This isn't to say that Montegomery isn't doing great things two hours down the road from me in Dubuque - but that we should be cautious. The flip side to this caution is that while I thought Cindy might be in Orono for 10-20 years regardless of her record, clearly former stars can be fired as well - at least by someone like Abbott.
                  Go Big Red.

Comment

What are you teasing us abbott you sick bastard! Wrong **** coach!

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      Sweet Jeezus that would be depressing.

But I don't know how likely history is to repeat itself. The AD is not a dictator. He still needs support from the university administration to extend anyone. The problem with Blake extending Whitehead was just as much a problem of the university rubber stamping the decision.

It could happen again, but I think the risk is much lower this time. A 2yr contract is a total insult to a legitimate AD candidate. It tells me that the university isn't really taking Abbott seriously. The only reason to hire someone you don't take seriously is if you don't think it's the right time to make a more long-term commitment. To the extent that the next AD could influence their ability to recruit a coach to replace Whitehead, this strikes me as sound thinking. So you keep your cards close to your vest and hire a guy to do a little fundraising dog and pony show for a couple years.

My guess is that the effect of Abbott's hiring on Maine hockey will be minimal (which, of course, is why Whitehead likes it so much).
                      I did not think that Abbott wanted the job in the first place..........band-aid solution.......the University admin. is in complete disarray with no clear leadership......simply amazing that they are all falling over themselves.......

Comment

The most significant thing Abbott said on the news was, Blodgett is done because Womens BBall is one of the more storied programs in Orono and her on court performance did her in.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          I watched Cindy play many many times, she was something else. My memories of her will be playing not coaching. The best BBall player Maine has ever produced.

She had Alfond sold out for just about every game she played. Getting tickets to watch her was just as tough as getting tickets to watch Hockey. Emily Ellis, Racheal Bouchard and other Mainers were good but Cindy was a step above

Comment

Already I like this Abbot fella Obviously a doer, not a talker and also obvious he was brought in early to fix this thing.

I think he watches Whitehead for one year, up close and personal. If he doesnt like what he sees this season, he's gone at the end of it. I think he puts out some discreet feelers this season to see who's available and interested in Timmay's position. Maybe discussions over a coffee or two. Also think that the position is and will be a coveted role, knowing the history of Maine hockey, the Alfond mystic and the dedication of the Maine fanbase to a winning program.

He's gonna right this ship, and possibly sooner than we all can hope for. Could it be that the new president and Abbott both realize that time is not on their side....this problem needs attention, and quickly. As I say, I give the hawkey program one year, and one year only....events at UML and PC certainly help support whatever decisions they make in this regard.

And yes, I vote that Kinger stepped up to the plate...my daughters assistant youth basketball coach for two seasons. My hero

edit: One more thing...its probably not fair to be firing a woman only. Could be confused as, well you know, sexist. I know someone's firing that would even that score up perfectly, and there would be a chitload of fans happy aboutit.
                            Last edited by acs64; 03-29-2011, 06:37 PM.
                            I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Like I said, I don't think TIMMAY's gone yet. But i'll bet it's made abundently clear to him that changes need to be made to his coaching staff, and his approach to the game. Again, if I were Danny, I'd be working on the resume. But knowing TIMMAY, I'm sure if someone goes, TIMMAY will make sure it's Corkum, since Danny's his boy. Can't have the guys continuing their faceoff improvement.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

The Duke women, after hanging with UConn for the first half, are currently getting shelled by Gino ***hole-iema. Do you suppose Joanne has been speaking to Mr. Abbott??

After all, she doesn't need anymore money.

Comment

Working...
                                X