X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by MEFANinLA View Post
    Believe me I've been calling for timmay to be gone since mid 2000s, why would you even think there is a possibility of what you said up above?
    well, you were the extreme... and I sat with you in Manchester... Danny does not have your coif/frames, and Bob does not have your wasitline or sense of style.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      He used to do a lot of comparisons of TIMMAY's record against Umile, Parker and York, too, but he hasn't been doing that lately either.
      well I said it before, but I always thought that there was a chance that he felt the same way as we do, but he wanted US to say good things and force us to point out Timmy's weaknesses so he could look like the good guy...

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        How long has Jeff Jackson been at ND? 3 or 4 years? He has them in Frozen Four in a short period of time. Obviously they could have a ton more resources than Maine but the program was nothing before he showed up and now they're on the national stage.
        1- I remember hearing a few years back that they were building a $100 million hockey arena. Obviously a lot is possible with that kind of money. No doubt Jackson is well paid as well.

2- Glad to hear that Abbott got the job and the 2 year deal makes a lot of sense.

3- Frankly at this point I'm wondering if Maine won't be better served by directing more money to Women's Hockey, or another atheletic program. Watching a phenomenal team out here in Wisconsin (4 NC's in 6 years, plus a 2nd place finish; 37-2-2 this past season) makes me see possibilities in Maine. It would take years of work, probably a new coach, and more money -- but all of that is true of Men's Hockey as well and I wonder if, despite the glory years, that isn't a easier path to atheletic excellence at UMaine than Men's hockey. Heresy, I know - but why spend good money after bad? Just food for thought...
        Go Big Red.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky T. Badger View Post

3- Frankly at this point I'm wondering if Maine won't be better served by directing more money to Women's Hockey, or another atheletic program. Watching a phenomenal team out here in Wisconsin (4 NC's in 6 years, plus a 2nd place finish; 37-2-2 this past season) makes me see possibilities in Maine. It would take years of work, probably a new coach, and more money -- but all of that is true of Men's Hockey as well and I wonder if, despite the glory years, that isn't a easier path to atheletic excellence at UMaine than Men's hockey. Heresy, I know - but why spend good money after bad? Just food for thought...
          The coach they have now did pretty well this past season. They beat some ranked teams and made the HE playoffs. Her budget is about buck and half, make it 3 bucks and she'd probably get into the tourney
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

The coach they have now did pretty well this past season. They beat some ranked teams and made the HE playoffs. Her budget is about buck and half, make it 3 bucks and she'd probably get into the tourney
            Good observation! She's probably the best coach on campus right now..........definitely the one doing the most with the least.

Comment

This. Look how far BU's gone with mostly Canadian kids. And those are the kids who might look at the rural setting of Maine if they had a decent reputation and budget.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                well, you were the extreme... and I sat with you in Manchester... Danny does not have your coif/frames, and Bob does not have your wasitline or sense of style.
                Was that for the UNH-Maine game when duffy scored the game winner? When I sat up top? If so aren't you the uncle of one of the ex-players? Or was it when I was standing down on the lower level? I sat with bob at UNH at Durhman when bob went off on gravalazz....he didn't live to far away when I lived in NH.

Comment

I don't think that Abbott is the answer at the U at this time...more PR then anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    I'm not expecting any quick decisions (coaching changes?). He's intelligent and will make necessary changes in a rational manner. I think he may provide leadership to a department that needs direction and will move it forward. In two years time there should be a sense of how effective he has been. I wish him well.
                    If he's intelligent and makes changes in a rational manner, there will be an announcement tomorrow that Timmay's gone (There'll be time enough to deal with Cindy and Cosgrove next week. ;-)). When something needs fixing as obviously as Maine hockey does, it's no time to do things slowly. Decisive action is what is needed, not delay and rationalizing. It's not going to be without pain, but it has to happen and the sooner the better so Maine hockey can take a new direction. If Abbott wants to have any legacy or have accomplished anything significant that we can all look back on in two years, he needs to get started right away, not hmm and haw and hope the problem goes away, because it'll only get worse and more difficult to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by MEFANinLA View Post
                      Was that for the UNH-Maine game when duffy scored the game winner? When I sat up top? If so aren't you the uncle of one of the ex-players? .
                      batman is not going to remove his cowel, and clark kent is not taking off the glasses and tie...

Knowitall is not telling how he knows it all

Comment

• Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                        batman is not going to remove his cowel, and clark kent is not taking off the glasses and tie...

Knowitall is not telling how he knows it all
                        I know who you are now...you and your son sat by me. Your from mass and you emailed about a comment you thought I attribruted to somebody's mom after a UM game at BC. Believe me I am one of the original 5 internet crazies timmay pointed out in the paper...

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
                          If he's intelligent and makes changes in a rational manner, there will be an announcement tomorrow that Timmay's gone.
                          This isn't his decision, that would require the President and the Pres is a lame duck so I doubt he makes that call. If the new president wants to do that then maybe. My feeling, ain't gonna happen this year. Think about it, if Blodgett still has job with her record and kids quitting the team left and right, Tim is pretty safe
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

This isn't his decision, that would require the President and the Pres is a lame duck so I doubt he makes that call. If the new president wants to do that then maybe. My feeling, ain't gonna happen this year. Think about it, if Blodgett still has job with her record and kids quitting the team left and right, Tim is pretty safe
                            I don't have much hope that it'll actually happen, but why do you say it's not his decision? I can't claim to have read Abbott's actual job description, but if the AD isn't in charge of hiring/firing coaches, besides fund raising just what is his function? I'm sure the new President would LOVE to have this controversy done and over with by the time he arrives on campus so he could just be the "good guy" who gets to be part of the process of ushering in a new coach and a new era of Maine hockey. I don't think that the AD has any obligation to wait for someone who's not even on the payroll yet, and since this situation occurred on the old President's watch, before he leaves, he should do whatever he can to clear the deck for his successor.

Comment

Here are some thoughts by Steve Abbott in Larry's article in today's BDN.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...r-appointment/

Comment

a 2year contract doesn't provide much of a mandate to anything more than fundraising.

If he succeeds at that . . . . well, it's not a bad thing by any means. But if you're hoping for an AD to implement some sort of vision for the athletic teams, you're going to be disappointed.

It says something that the coaches of all the underperforming teams that Larry mentioned are falling all over themselves in praise of the decision.
                                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Working...
                                X