This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Off Season 2011

I have decided to retire any clothing with "Maine Hockey" on it until Whitehead is gone - and I have a boat load! I have felt ambivilent (not really the right word, but I cannot come up with the proper feeling right now) about Whitehead for the longest time, but enough is enough.

As a matter of fact, I have come up with a few designs for Maine hockey garb - either display "Maine hockey" upside-down or, even better, "Maine hockey" going down a drain.

Do you think anyone from the administration even reads this thread? I cannot believe I feel this way about a team I have folllowed around the country for the past 20+ years.

That was just an absolutely disgusting display of going through the motions last night. No disrespect to the Merrimack program but losing to MERRIMACK - really?????? I may have been able to accept losing to BU or BC but MERRIMACK????? Awful, just awful. Shame on anyone who put on a Maine sweater or stood behind the bench this season - except Paul Calina and Josh MacDonald.

Comment

Originally posted by john g View Post
      even better, "Maine hockey" going down a drain..
      Must be someone who can design that, I know someone who can make the tee. Great idea. Next time I see him I'll ask what something like that might cost per Tee
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
        im not saying you guys are wrong to want your coach's head...but your goaltending WAS an absolute abomination.

i know i know...he has to sign off on the recruits, but Sullivan and Ouellette both had a decent pedigree coming in. sometimes the players have to perform.

the reality is that your assistant coaches see these kids play way more than the head coach does, and you have to be able to trust and rely on their opinions. i dont doubt many mistakes have been made, and you all would know better than i since i'm not really a maine fan...but from my vantage point one of the biggest things whitehead is guilty of is being too loyal to whoever is in charge of coordinating their recruiting. whether that is corkum or kerluke i don't know...but to potentially have to fire an alum puts your head coach into a difficult position, so i can see why he has tried to ride it out.

as you guys have pointed out, some more eloquently and intelligently than others, it's just not working.
        A rational and intelligent post.

Comment

Actually, an upside-down logo is brilliant. I tried to steal the idea for my avatar, but the USCHO board is acting screwy.

The only downside is that I'm not sure how many people understand the symbolism.

Originally posted by john g View Post
          As a matter of fact, I have come up with a few designs for Maine hockey garb - either display "Maine hockey" upside-down or, even better, "Maine hockey" going down a drain.
          Last edited by amherstblackbear; 03-13-2011, 10:29 AM.
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            F U timmay. Be a man and resign. We don't want you anymore.
            BEST reply to this **** thread!!!!

Comment

What's Whitehead's contract? Is there a chance he will in fact be fired? I know UNH hasn't won a national title, but I don't see any reason why you guys shouldn't at least be in the NCAAs most years just like them...

I know nothing about your AD, but if he loved Maine hockey, he'd make a change.

Finally, I thought you'd beat MC. I based that off last season's tourney run. No shame in losing to them, but losing in two games and losing like you did last night...ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                I have been to a few Frozen Fours, but I have friends (Maine fans,) who go to every Frozen Four whether Maine is there or not, because they enjoy college hockey and the the associated atmosphere. I suspect there are a few on the Maine threads who may attend each year as well. Whatever happened to just 'rooting" for your team and not tearing it down? it's sort of like seeing your youngster play t-ball and having a national audience ridicule the kid for not performing up to expectations. That's sort of like what it is on this forum. Every fan wants their favorite team to be in the playoffs and be #1, I am no exception. In reallity, it's not going to happen. It's fine to have an opinion and express it, but the incessant badgering and denigration of the coaching staff is not what college sports should be about, in my opinion.
                can I ask how much money you donate when Tim asks you for it... and tells you about recruiting and excellent players and about keeping up the status of the program?

Comment

Originally posted by MEFANinLA View Post
                  You make some good points, but this coach is not one you can really support if you want your team to be a winner..if he had any coaching, motivational or tactical skills this team would be in the NCAAs not left for roadkill in the HE quarters....if you are truely a fan of maine hockey how can you support whitehead?
                  I started losing faith when one of the best "in-state" recruits to come along in ten years chose a MASSACHUSETTS rival over Orono. If Walsh was still with us and behind the bench, I can guarantee that Dumoulin would've come to Maine along with many other top-notch guys. I can't blame him for wanting to play for Jerry York over Whitehead.

Comment

Don't forget Brian Billett...he could have been the answer for Maine in goal.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Thanks to the seniors and the guys who be leaving, good luck in whatever you choose to do. Hope Maine was good to you and after the disappointment wears off you have fond memories of Orono

The goaltending might be better next year but nothing else will. Does anyone think, Cornell, Nemec or O'Neill improved this year, at all?? Cornell and Nemec looked tentative all season and Cornell might have regressed. I think some of the Forwards got better, Mangene, Swavely Beattie, Diamond all come to mind but the losses are killer.

I've followed Maine hockey for along time, watching the brand of product Tim is putting out there is no longer fun, its a chore. Why bother spending my money on tickets, travel, food and whatever else to watch a lousy brand of hockey. I want to see the D take the body, I want see a hip check when the opponent actually has the puck, I want to see something besides a stick check or a poke check. I want to see Maine finish a team not run out of gas or gag on a hair ball. Its really not worth the aggravation. What others have been saying, wake me when a coaching change is made.

OK, so now, you send that letter to the athletic department and you tell them that you (after being a season ticket holder for the best sro place in the house) will not renew until he is gone. I did.
                      No more sponsoring the lobster fest
                      no more donations of stuff for the auction at the banquet
                      no more season tickets
                      Timmy barely cares... I am not a huge donor like Jerry LaFlamme or Steven King... so pis5ing me off does not matter to Timmy... oh wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        A rational and intelligent post.
                        What were the circumstances under which Corkum and Kerluke took their current positions? Did their predecessors quit, or were they fired (resigned under pressure)? The current assistants/associates aren't the first alums that have worked for Whitehead.
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                          can I ask how much money you donate when Tim asks you for it... and tells you about recruiting and excellent players and about keeping up the status of the program?
                          I donate 0, I used to say as long as Blake James is AD you get 0 money, they haven't called lately they send letters. I guess I should send one back with my reasons for not donating.

As far as Asst coaches go, I agree, something should change. Whats one area where MAine forwards have really improved in the last 2 years. Faceoffs, who do you suppose is teaching that? Dan?, yeah right. He needs to hit the road and a guy who can coach goalies and D needs to be hired. I won't hold my breathe.

Comment

Any chance we can hire Blaise...what's the worst that could happen? I don't think things could get any worse! I have faithfully had my tickets since I graduated in 1999 and I have sat through all the crap the last 5 or 6 years and this was supposed to be the year....are you kidding me! I have never been so ashamed to be wearing my Maine hockey jersey and watch them play in all my life...thank god I was in my own house! I guess when things look bleak and life gets you down, make up an excuse and put in another stick of gum- it's Timmay Time! I can't help but think about what was on the scoreboard right before the team skated onto the ice before every game-House said it! "The future of Maine hockey is now!" What, really! Not much of a future i'd say!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Don't forget Brian Billett...he could have been the answer for Maine in goal.
                              Yeah and he wouldn't have been put off a year, he would have played now and probably alot. Don't blame him for waiting and going to BC. Another example of how screwed up this all is

Comment

Originally posted by lewylew View Post
                                I started losing faith when one of the best "in-state" recruits to come along in ten years chose a MASSACHUSETTS rival over Orono. If Walsh was still with us and behind the bench, I can guarantee that Dumoulin would've come to Maine along with many other top-notch guys. I can't blame him for wanting to play for Jerry York over Whitehead.
                                There were Mainers who went elsewhere to play college hockey, even under Walsh. Some of them were pretty good. Let's not get carried away too much by a particular kid's decision.

That said, I agree completely with your other point. Who on earth would choose to play for Whitehead if he got even a glimmer of interest from York?

Comment

Working...
                                X