This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Nate might be better than Whitehead. But I'm wary that anybody having success in the ECAC may or may not be able to get it done in Hockey East, and more importantly, in the NCAA tournament. And that's the end game, ultimately. It's not getting anybody besides Whitehead, it's getting someone capable of getting to the NCAA tournament and winning there.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      Nate might be better than Whitehead. But I'm wary that anybody having success in the ECAC may or may not be able to get it done in Hockey East, and more importantly, in the NCAA tournament. And that's the end game, ultimately. It's not getting anybody besides Whitehead, it's getting someone capable of getting to the NCAA tournament and winning there.
      Amen! Give me coaches with Hockey East/WCHA/USHL connections/experience.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        Is the game of hockey different in the ECAC? No, the recruiting because of academic standards is. Nate isn't coming to MAine but here you have a guy who took a nothing team, a team that had never done a freakin thing before and put it into the NCAAs. Its pretty impressive if you ask me.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
          You make no sense when you say that Whitehead deserves another year, but then say that "we'd" be calling for the head of a coach who "only" got his team a number one seed? I don't think that any of us most vociferous internet crazies expects Maine to win a national championship every year, but it sure would be nice to at least usually qualify for the NCAA's and occasionally make it to the frozen four and once every decade or so, win it all. Does ANYONE still think Timmay has the ability to regularly get his team to even a 4 seed in the NCAA's?!
          Whitehead led team next season will finish closer to 9th place in Hockey East,with maybe 12-13 tops in wins with a record likely in a 34 gm slate of: imo: 10-20-4...disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
            I realize this is just a bit off topic and even inappropriate, but unfortunately, in the modern era of Maine hockey, it's something we're all going to have to get used to doing this time of year, picking a team to support during the NCAA tournament. After last nights dismantling of BC, I'm cheering for CC the rest of this season! I intended to get to bed early but couldn't take my eyes off that team...they play just like Maine teams used to play, like watching a flashback from the past, just in the wrong colored uniform.
            Well, they did play a little like Maine teams of today in the third period, figuring it was all wrapped up and they could just sit back and coast home to victory. Once BC got their 4th, they stepped it back up again, with a great effort out of the fourth line just working over the BC D down low and along the boards. That game was a lot of fun to watch. Poor BC.

And ABB, CC has had a lot of success in the tourney, maybe just not lately. Not quite the level of Colby beating Michigan, maybe more along the lines of Vermont doing it.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I know CC is good. I'm just pointing out that it's a liberal arts college like Colby. Definitely one of the funny things about this sport.
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

One more year to know whether we're going in the right direction? The last two seasons, and especially this season, you know, this was supposed to be "the year", and he manages only four more wins than he did with a team that had Keenan Hopson, Billy Ryan and Rob Bellamy as the #1 line. A group that would have been lucky to be a third line on any other team, including this season's Maine team.

That's the results he's gotten, even with the better recruiting classes. And you think it's gonna get better?
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                  Absolutely. I know CC plays an important role in the history of the sport, but still . . . Colorado College?!?

To put this in terms that we Mainers can relate to, this is akin to Colby College taking down the University of Michigan. How can you think about that and not smile a little?
                  Give me a break. CC's been to the NCAA's 11 times in the past 20 years. Kind of arrogant for a team who hasn't been there in the last four years don't ya think?

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
                    Give me a break. CC's been to the NCAA's 11 times in the past 20 years. Kind of arrogant for a team who hasn't been there in the last four years don't ya think?
                    Jeezus tapdancing Crist (strategic spelling in effect), are you being this dense on purpose? I'd expect better from a CC alum.

All I'm doing is point out that Colorado College is a liberal arts school, and I think it's cool that they're playing the University of freaking Michigan. I think that's one of the things that's great about college hockey.
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                      Whitehead led team next season will finish closer to 9th place in Hockey East,with maybe 12-13 tops in wins with a record likely in a 34 gm slate of: imo: 10-20-4...disaster.
                      Maybe TW should grow a rally beard.................

Comment

#1 seed Miami.......gone. #1 seed Yale........on the verge of being gone. UNH may just do it this year!

Duluth looks very good too.

Comment

Nice to see Nyquist scored his first pro goal tonight hopefully the first of many.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
                            Nice to see Nyquist scored his first pro goal tonight hopefully the first of many.
                            griifins radio pbp of the goal
                            http://griffinshockey.com/multimedia...54&id=3532&t=0

game story
                            http://griffinshockey.com/news/relea...rticle_id=1859

box score
                            http://theahl.com/stats/official-gam...ame_id=1008411

Comment

Huh. I didn't know Janik was in Grand Rapids, too.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF
                                I'm sorry just back from Manchester and watching teams that did make the tournament! Can you please point out where I said he "deserves another year!" Don't think I said that at all! Just know it is a fait accompli' as a result I am being realistic. If you are going to put words in my mouth I'd like to see the quote as opposed to attributing comments that I never made! This was supposed to be "the year" and we were inconsistent beyond belief, and of course goalies that I played with in the 70's in Canada would have fared better! I said at the start of the year no excuses and there are No Excuses!

Home ice next year would be satisfactory and a trip to the Garden. Have a feeling we'll be picked 5th to 7th in the coaches poll.
                                No excuses Bob!

Comment

Working...
                                X