X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    That was Unions first appearance int he NCAAs? or the first time Lehman got them in? You realize Lehman has already been a coach at Maine in the recent past
    First appearance overall.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
      First appearance overall.

. Seems like 2 coaches going in opposite directions if you ask me. One takes a program that had nothing and gets it into the NCAAs, the other takess a natl powerhouse and turns into a joke
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        That was Unions first appearance int he NCAAs? or the first time Lehman got them in? You realize Lehman has already been a coach at Maine in the recent past
        First we should point out that Nate served one year as a volunteer assistant and was never a "coach" at Maine. And truth be told if we under perform again next year I would put him on the short list of potential coaches along with Montgomery and a few others (there I am on record as saying Tim's got one more year to show we are going in the right direction). However what I was also pointing out was we would never be satisfied with being a #1 seed, losing a best 2 out of 3 in our building and then being blanked in the NCAA tourney. I have a feeling we would be calling for the head of said coach.

As for the coaches poll Union was picked to finish 3rd. http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/ec...nd-media/5983/

One thing that I am encouraged by is the list of future recruits committed to Maine. However let's hope that this time the coaches have their act together on some of the Canadian players like Lomberg, don't want to see all these efforts end up in major junior again!

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
          .... (there I am on record as saying Tim's got one more year to show we are going in the right direction). However what I was also pointing out was we would never be satisfied with being a #1 seed, losing a best 2 out of 3 in our building and then being blanked in the NCAA tourney. I have a feeling we would be calling for the head of said coach.
          http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/ec...nd-media/5983/
          You make no sense when you say that Whitehead deserves another year, but then say that "we'd" be calling for the head of a coach who "only" got his team a number one seed? I don't think that any of us most vociferous internet crazies expects Maine to win a national championship every year, but it sure would be nice to at least usually qualify for the NCAA's and occasionally make it to the frozen four and once every decade or so, win it all. Does ANYONE still think Timmay has the ability to regularly get his team to even a 4 seed in the NCAA's?!

Comment

Whether or not Whitehead deserves another year, he's going to get two, probably three.

I've made a deal with myself not to make another post about Whitehead. The point used to be that if something could be done, Maine might be able to preserve some semblance of their tradition. So I jumped on board the whine wagon, on the off chance that it might have some small effect (or Whitehead would turn things around and make me look like a fool).

There's no point speculating about what might happen if Maine's tradition dies, and someone has to start over . . . and whether it will be possible to rebound given the current competitive landscape of the sport.

There's no point in speculating because now it's happened. This was our good year. Yay. Now, time for a step back while the program charges up for another run at just-a-hair-better-than-mediocrity
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

And truth be told if we under perform again next year I would put him on the short list of potential coaches along with Montgomery and a few others (there I am on record as saying Tim's got one more year to show we are going in the right direction).
              Show we are going in the right direction? We are going in the wrong direction, there should be no doubt about that. I'm not sure what you expect out of one more year. I think we would be lucky to get home ice in hockey east next year considering they couldn't this year with Gus. If this team couldn't make it to the NCAAs, I don't see how they have a hope of doing it next year.

"The Future of Maine Hockey is now" -- this was supposed to be THE year Maine was back in the national picture, and we couldn't even get home ice or make it to the Garden.

what would the right direction be next year? Just make the hockey east tournament, because I don't see Maine being as good or better than this year

Comment

I said it once and I'll say it again...."If Timmay is the coach next season I wont be renewing my tickets!" I don't care if i'm the only fan on strike, i'm
                making a stand!

Comment

Correction: Maine had been going in the wrong direction. Now . . . we're there.

OK, OK, I'll stop
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by DownEastblkbearfan View Post
                    I said it once and I'll say it again...."If Timmay is the coach next season I wont be renewing my tickets!" I don't care if i'm the only fan on strike, i'm
                    making a stand!
                    You won't be

Comment

First we should point out that Nate served one year as a volunteer assistant and was never a "coach" at Maine. [/url]
                      !
                      Maybe that why the goaltending sucks, Maine doesn't have a goaltending "coach"

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                        Whether or not Whitehead deserves another year, he's going to get two, probably three.

I've made a deal with myself not to make another post about Whitehead. The point used to be that if something could be done, Maine might be able to preserve some semblance of their tradition. So I jumped on board the whine wagon, on the off chance that it might have some small effect (or Whitehead would turn things around and make me look like a fool).

There's no point speculating about what might happen if Maine's tradition dies, and someone has to start over . . . and whether it will be possible to rebound given the current competitive landscape of the sport.

There's no point in speculating because now it's happened. This was our good year. Yay. Now, time for a step back while the program charges up for another run at just-a-hair-better-than-mediocrity
                        "Whine Wagon," I love it, maybe we should consider renaming this thread.

Comment

I realize this is just a bit off topic and even inappropriate, but unfortunately, in the modern era of Maine hockey, it's something we're all going to have to get used to doing this time of year, picking a team to support during the NCAA tournament. After last nights dismantling of BC, I'm cheering for CC the rest of this season! I intended to get to bed early but couldn't take my eyes off that team...they play just like Maine teams used to play, like watching a flashback from the past, just in the wrong colored uniform.

Comment

Absolutely. I know CC plays an important role in the history of the sport, but still . . . Colorado College?!?

To put this in terms that we Mainers can relate to, this is akin to Colby College taking down the University of Michigan. How can you think about that and not smile a little?

Comment

First we should point out that Nate served one year as a volunteer assistant and was never a "coach" at Maine. And truth be told if we under perform again next year I would put him on the short list of potential coaches along with Montgomery and a few others (there I am on record as saying Tim's got one more year to show we are going in the right direction). However what I was also pointing out was we would never be satisfied with being a #1 seed, losing a best 2 out of 3 in our building and then being blanked in the NCAA tourney. I have a feeling we would be calling for the head of said coach.

As for the coaches poll Union was picked to finish 3rd. http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/ec...nd-media/5983/

One thing that I am encouraged by is the list of future recruits committed to Maine. However let's hope that this time the coaches have their act together on some of the Canadian players like Lomberg, don't want to see all these efforts end up in major junior again!
                              Poor Bob.........

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post

Frustrating, ain't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X