X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
    It very well could if he stays for next year. Maine is a great team next year if Nyquist, Abbott, Flynn, and O'Neill stay. If Gustav leaves.. that's another story.
    (Not sure about "great"...Maine still needs goaltending and at least a couple of reliable D-men to even be "solid",IMO.)

Judging strictly from the couple of interviews I've seen,Gus is having fun being a student at Maine,and would like to stick around.(Hell,I stayed there for an extra semester myself,I was having such a good time!)

Doesn't the NHL CBA dictate that he re-enters the free agent market if he comes back to Maine after 3 years, post-draft,though?(Not that he wouldn't go even higher in the draft his next time around,but he might end up in Columbus,for example...)Detroit is a first-class operation,and a hard option to pass up.I won't fault him a bit if he bolts.

Whatever he decides,he has given us more than our money's worth.I'd love to see #89 wearing Blue one more year,but I'll root for him no matter where he ends up in '12. It's certainly not on him that he hasn't had a capable head coach for three long years.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-24-2011, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
      I'll be happy for him if decides to go pro, but I would love to see him play in the tournament.
      Selfishly I'd just like to see him play in Orono again. I don't see why he would unless he really wants a degree and his having fun in school. Hockey wise I just don't see anything for him in Orono
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        (Not sure about "great"...Maine still needs goaltending and at least a couple of reliable D-men to even be "solid",IMO.)
        Judging strictly from the couple of interviews I've seen,Gus is having fun being a student at Maine,and would like to stick around.(Hell,I stayed there for an extra semester myself,I was having such a good time!)

Doesn't the NHL CBA dictate that he re-enters the free agent market if he comes back to Maine after 3 years, post-draft,though?(Not that he wouldn't go even higher in the draft his next time around,but he might end up in Columbus,for example...)Detroit is a first-class operation,and a hard option to pass up.I won't fault him a bit if he bolts.

Whatever he decides,he has given us more than our money's worth.I'd love to see #89 wearing Blue one more year,but I'll root for him no matter where he ends up in '12. It's certainly not on him that he hasn't had a capable head coach for three long years.
        If Nyquist stays at Maine for his senior year, he's still a Detroit draftee, but only until August. If Detroit hasn't signed him by then, he will become a free agent and can negotiate with any other team in the NHL.
        Last edited by dwollstadt; 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
          It very well could if he stays for next year. Maine is a great team next year if Nyquist, Abbott, Flynn, and O'Neill stay. If Gustav leaves.. that's another story.
          They were a better team this year. Look what happened.

If this were the '93 team, TIMMAY would have them on the edge of missing the NCAA's.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

If this were the '93 team, TIMMAY would have them on the edge of missing the NCAA's.
            I've seen Tim called some bad things on here but that leaves a mark

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I've seen Tim called some bad things on here but that leaves a mark
              Sad thing is, its probably true.
              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Rachel Lenzi reporting that Josh Van Dyk has signed with the AHL Abbotsford Heat (Calgary Flames affiliate) and Mike Banwell has signed with the Albany Devils.

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
                  That was then, but now if there is interest from an established, division one hockey team, that's located closer to Boston, to join Hockey East, that could bring pressure to get rid of one of the existing lower tier Hockey East schools. It's one thing to keep a team around that never wins if it's convenient to play them, but compared to all the other schools in the league (except UVM) it's a PIA to travel all the way to Orono and back. As long as we were among the HE leaders it would be pretty hard for anyone to make a case that we be the ones to go, but not quite so hard to broach that subject if we are a school that weakens the league AND they really don't want to travel all the way up here anyway.

It WAS built from nothing before, but it took a once in a lifetime charismatic coach to do it. Now, even that same coach might not be able to pull it off with more sophisticated recruiting from other schools, and more big money schools fielding division one hockey teams and competing for the good players. If Maine hockey is allowed to slide much further down, even if they hire a capable coach, I don't think our team will ever make it back to national prominence because the competition is so much greater now than it used to be. By fiddling while Rome burns, the current UM powers that be are giving away something very precious, something that we'll probably never see again in Orono, Maine, a nationally prominent team with MAINE sewed onto their uniforms. I absolutely hate it but can't see anything happening until it's too late, the nature of the bureaucratic beast, don't do anything even a little bit risky or controversial unless/until you absolutely have to.
                  Short version: Maine is done.

It was a blast to watch those teams, though. Vive Le Pompier!
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    Rachel Lenzi reporting that Josh Van Dyk has signed with the AHL Abbotsford Heat (Calgary Flames affiliate) and Mike Banwell has signed with the Albany Devils.
                    Flynn, O'Neil, Abbott back next year........Gustav undecided.........

Comment

This weekend my wife and I will be heading up to Manchester to watch some exciting college hockey at the NCAA Northeast Regional. As we always do when Maine’s not playing, we’ll pick a team and root for them like they’re our own. In less than two weeks we will head to St. Paul on our way to our 8th consecutive Frozen Four for a great week of hockey festivities and again to watch some exciting college hockey. Again, we’ll pick a team (North Dakota if they’re there) and root for them like they’re our own. In early May, we will attend the Maine Hockey Banquet and officially close out the 2010-2011 Maine hockey season by saying good-bye to the Seniors (and hopefully, only the Seniors).

Then, I will begin piecing together the 2011-2012 Maine Black Bear schedule. I know Maine will be going to North Dakota (I plan to be there) and I know that Nebraska-Omaha will be coming to the Alfond (I plan to be there). The returning veterans, led by seniors Brian, Spencer, Will, Ryan, Theo, Josh, (and who knows, maybe even Gustav – one can dream can’t he?) will come in next year ready to play and we’ll witness some exciting hockey in 2011-2012.

Go Blue! Go Black Bears!! Go Maine!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Event View Post
                        This weekend my wife and I will be heading up to Manchester to watch some exciting college hockey at the NCAA Northeast Regional. As we always do when Maine’s not playing, we’ll pick a team and root for them like they’re our own. In less than two weeks we will head to St. Paul on our way to our 8th consecutive Frozen Four for a great week of hockey festivities and again to watch some exciting college hockey. Again, we’ll pick a team (North Dakota if they’re there) and root for them like they’re our own. In early May, we will attend the Maine Hockey Banquet and officially close out the 2010-2011 Maine hockey season by saying good-bye to the Seniors (and hopefully, only the Seniors).

Then, I will begin piecing together the 2011-2012 Maine Black Bear schedule. I know Maine will be going to North Dakota (I plan to be there) and I know that Nebraska-Omaha will be coming to the Alfond (I plan to be there). The returning veterans, led by seniors Brian, Spencer, Will, Ryan, Theo, Josh, (and who knows, maybe even Gustav – one can dream can’t he?) will come in next year ready to play and we’ll witness some exciting hockey in 2011-2012.

You and your wife are true college hockey fans. Friends of mine are also going to St. Paul (they go every year to the Frozen Four, also). Enjoy the hockey and the great atmosphere.

Comment

Good for you;have a blast!

The regionals are big fun,even if you don't have a dog in the hunt.Luckily,they show every game on TV here,and I plan to watch at least some of each one.I love this time of year,even if Maine is out on the links.

(Another thing I'm doing to stay in the game is running my annual FF pool at work.Have over 30 entries so far,which is pretty good for a "niche-sport".FWIW,BC and UMD are getting most of the nods to win it all.Me,I kinda like Yale...)

Comment

NYQUIST: Signs with Detroit...according to the BDNews this morning.

Comment

By reading your post...Maine plays North Dakota..(2)..UNO..(2)..and I heard/saw they play Clarkson twice @ Florida Classic and @ Portland...plus 27 Hockey East games...that comes out to 33 games...they play either 34 or 36 games a year,depending on Exhibition games...Anyone know the rest...have a good time @ the regionals and I also go to the Frozen 4's,no matter who's playing....a great time with alot of fun people....good luck to Nyquist/he was a pleasure to watch...a talent and a great kid to also.

Comment

Good luck to Gus, sure will miss watching him play but it was time to move on. Can't wait till he gets to Detroit, Seeing he and jimmy on the ice would be great

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...ith-red-wings/

Comment

Working...
                                X