X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
    Is Nyquist leaving or staying for his senior year?
    That is a good question today...I thought from the get-go after his Junior year that he would leave and now after hearing he was meeting with family and a advisor this past weekend and was said to make his mind up by this Monday,according to the Detroit Red Wings and the Newspapers....but no news....does he stay..? If he stays that pumps Maine Hockey up...and it also gives TW hope for lasting at least 2 years of his 3 year extension deal. Surprising that nothing has been heard. Any Idea's out there.

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
      Considering the results Whitehead has achieved with his recent talent, if he's allowed to stick around for the duration of his contract, UMaine's next coach will be faced with building the program from scratch, a program which by then will likely be without even an NCAA tournament appearance in 7 years, and 15 years away from a national championship. With that handicap of NO young kids (potential recruits) having ever seen or even heard of Maine Hockey on the national stage for as long as they can remember, how easy will it be for him to recruit quality players to rebuild and compete with BC or UNH or BU etc. with? We'll be the bottom of the barrel in Hockey East if we're even allowed to stay in it. I really think the window of opportunity for them to make a move to turn around the program is closing fast, and if Whitehead is allowed to stick around, Maine hockey may be no more likely to ever be nationally ranked or make the NCAA tournament than the basketball or football teams are. With the loss of all the prestige and dollars that means to UMaine, the price of Whiteheads contract will seem like a bargain to regain the prominence Maine once had and could have already regained if a competent coach and leader of Maine Hockey were put in place today.
      Don't be ridiculous. Hockey East never kicked out Merrimack. Besides, every league needs someone at the bottom of the barrel to beat on.

It's going to be a long haul for the new coach. It's going to take someone who can sell UMaine to recruits like it was in the glory days. It was built from nothing before.

Comment

As I alluded to, my biggest fear of all is that any improvements, especially those that come from his staff, for the next 3 agonizingly long years get attributed to the wrong guy...and a subsequent extension of his contract because of it. Lets face reality here folks. Whitehead will do every thing in his power, especially ponying up to his bosses, to keep his job beyond 3 years.....Anything. Unless of course hes a real man and has the gnads to right now walk away, whereupon he would be remembered as the guy who stewarded the program after Walsh's death and not the guy who was instrumental in destroying the program. What a legacy that wud be, huh ?
        Last edited by acs64; 03-23-2011, 06:21 PM.
        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          That is a good question today...I thought from the get-go after his Junior year that he would leave and now after hearing he was meeting with family and a advisor this past weekend and was said to make his mind up by this Monday,according to the Detroit Red Wings and the Newspapers....but no news....does he stay..? If he stays that pumps Maine Hockey up...and it also gives TW hope for lasting at least 2 years of his 3 year extension deal. Surprising that nothing has been heard. Any Idea's out there.
          I think it bodes well he hasn't left yet, I figured he'd be gone but remember what happened with Jimmy, a few weeks before school started and away he went
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            My guess is the longer this plays out, the more likely he is to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I think it bodes well he hasn't left yet, I figured he'd be gone but remember what happened with Jimmy, a few weeks before school started and away he went
              I don't think Goose would do that.

Comment

If I remember correctly on the Howard deal...the NHL had just gotten a New CBA on drafted players,and that it more or less made signing after his Junior year better for him and with that...we have seen more Juniors leave in College Hockey because of it...thats where College Hockey and the NHL have been at odd's the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
                  Actually, does it matter one way or the other if Nyquist returns? Yet another disappointing season? Who cares for that?

Comment

Why do you think that? This is business, I expect Jimmy did what he thought was right for his career and I expect Gus to do the same thing, that is, whats right for Gus and his career
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Why do you think that? This is business, I expect Jimmy did what he thought was right for his career and I expect Gus to do the same thing, that is, whats right for Gus and his career
                      I know, it's just a gut feeling I have that he will make a decision one way or another soon.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                        Actually, does it matter one way or the other if Nyquist returns? Yet another disappointing season? Who cares for that?
                        I'll be happy for him if decides to go pro, but I would love to see him play in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
                          Don't be ridiculous. Hockey East never kicked out Merrimack. Besides, every league needs someone at the bottom of the barrel to beat on.

It's going to be a long haul for the new coach. It's going to take someone who can sell UMaine to recruits like it was in the glory days. It was built from nothing before.
                          That was then, but now if there is interest from an established, division one hockey team, that's located closer to Boston, to join Hockey East, that could bring pressure to get rid of one of the existing lower tier Hockey East schools. It's one thing to keep a team around that never wins if it's convenient to play them, but compared to all the other schools in the league (except UVM) it's a PIA to travel all the way to Orono and back. As long as we were among the HE leaders it would be pretty hard for anyone to make a case that we be the ones to go, but not quite so hard to broach that subject if we are a school that weakens the league AND they really don't want to travel all the way up here anyway.

It WAS built from nothing before, but it took a once in a lifetime charismatic coach to do it. Now, even that same coach might not be able to pull it off with more sophisticated recruiting from other schools, and more big money schools fielding division one hockey teams and competing for the good players. If Maine hockey is allowed to slide much further down, even if they hire a capable coach, I don't think our team will ever make it back to national prominence because the competition is so much greater now than it used to be. By fiddling while Rome burns, the current UM powers that be are giving away something very precious, something that we'll probably never see again in Orono, Maine, a nationally prominent team with MAINE sewed onto their uniforms. I absolutely hate it but can't see anything happening until it's too late, the nature of the bureaucratic beast, don't do anything even a little bit risky or controversial unless/until you absolutely have to.

Comment

I'll be happy for him if decides to go pro, but I would love to see him play in the tournament.
                            Like that's gonna happen.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              Like that's gonna happen.
                              It very well could if he stays for next year. Maine is a great team next year if Nyquist, Abbott, Flynn, and O'Neill stay. If Gustav leaves.. that's another story.

Comment

If Gus goes he's gonna go. Detroits gonna want him to play out the end of the AHL season. Howard was different because of the lockout and because the team made the NCAA tournament, season ended later less minor pro season left.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X