This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Maine's AD search will begin in September according to the BDN. The current President feels that the new President is responsible for the selection. A national search will begin in September and the current AD will be a candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      I'll play along
      Tim Army failed miserably, Blaise failed miserably,Timmay hasn't. They won more games than last year. The goaltending was the killer. Not sure you can blame Timmay that Darling turned out to be a lush. Darling plays and Maine gets in the NCAAs. So in his mind he did alright, its just that we interent craziez expect too much
      Right. TIMMAY's deluding himself. This season was all about "the breaks" and "puck luck" and "if we'd only managed to pick up two more points somewhere in the regular season". Just read any of the articles in the BDN, it's all he talks about. Given a turn of luck here, or a break there, and this Maine team would have had home ice for the playoffs, been in the Garden, and made the NCAA tourney easily.

But if he thinks it's all just that, he's mistaken. There's a reason a lot of those "breaks" didn't go his way. What's the old saying, "success is 90% hard work and 10% opportunity"? In TIMMAY's mind, that's more 50-50, they did the work, but luck just wasn't with him. Well, I personally don't think they did the work.

Well, there's another old saying "you make your own luck" He needs to make this team stronger mentally, tougher emotionally, develop a more killer mindset, and make them stronger and have more stamina. How many games they're losing do we see players on the bench smiling and joking, joking around with the referees? They need a get down to business attitude. How many late game leads to they squander cause they don't have the fitnmess and stamina, not to mention the willpower, of the team they're facing?

He can start by listening to his assistant coaches, well, at least one of them, and implement a lot of what they tell him. He can continue by finding a better coach for his goaltenders. And he can toughen them up by making his practices tougher, so these guys aren't gassed and getting thrown around late in games. Games should be easier than the practices, but not in TIMMAY's country club. Finally, he can stop overcoaching them about subtle little nuances that only matter to TIMMAY, and turn them loose to play the game.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I'll play along
        Tim Army failed miserably, Blaise failed miserably,Timmay hasn't. They won more games than last year. The goaltending was the killer. Not sure you can blame Timmay that Darling turned out to be a lush. Darling plays and Maine gets in the NCAAs. So in his mind he did alright, its just that we interent craziez expect too much
        Wait, wait...I thot you were the guy who said the coach is responsible for everything.....recruiting including. Which side of this arguement are you taking ?? Both ?

Nobody really expects Timmay to step down....we can hope, but I think he'll weasel his way around for the 3 years while we all suffer and the program suffers with us. Doesnt mean we cant hope that maybe this guy sees the writing on the wall and does the right thing for everybuddy....doubtful, but why not at least try to be positively negative ??
        Last edited by acs64; 03-23-2011, 09:52 AM.
        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          He can start by listening to his assistant coaches, well, at least one of them, and implement a lot of what they tell him. He can continue by finding a better coach for his goaltenders. And he can toughen them up by making his practices tougher, so these guys aren't gassed and getting thrown around late in games. Games should be easier than the practices, but not in TIMMAY's country club. Finally, he can stop overcoaching them about subtle little nuances that only matter to TIMMAY, and turn them loose to play the game.
          Why do you want to enable this guy? Why not have him just walk away and make it easier for everyone? Why not just suffer through 3 more years and send him packing? Theres no way in hell he can or will change the way he coaches....and I personally dont care if he does...I'm not interested in seeing him behind the bench anymore.

Comment

Tanner House "got his feet wet" last night with the Oklahoma City Barons. Barons lost to Milwaukee in a shoot out. Tanner wasn't involved in either the shootout or the scoring. Best wishes to Tanner in his professional hockey career.

Comment

Cause he's not just gonna walk away? If he ain't gonna leave, i'd at least like to see a good team on the ice. Furnish that, finish out his contract, and then get someone else in.

Comment

Larrrys article on the new AD
                http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...eral-criteria/

Here is the 2nd article on the AD
                http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...-in-september/

Sounds like Steve Abbott might be interested now, not sure how much fund raising he did for Collins but seems like Politicians are always fund raising so maybe he is pretty good at it. One thing for sure is he knows Orono, Umaine and the State extremely well. Must have tons of connections, including some good ones in DC
                Last edited by walrus; 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM.
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Cause he's not just gonna walk away? If he ain't gonna leave, i'd at least like to see a good team on the ice. Furnish that, finish out his contract, and then get someone else in.
                  Considering the results Whitehead has achieved with his recent talent, if he's allowed to stick around for the duration of his contract, UMaine's next coach will be faced with building the program from scratch, a program which by then will likely be without even an NCAA tournament appearance in 7 years, and 15 years away from a national championship. With that handicap of NO young kids (potential recruits) having ever seen or even heard of Maine Hockey on the national stage for as long as they can remember, how easy will it be for him to recruit quality players to rebuild and compete with BC or UNH or BU etc. with? We'll be the bottom of the barrel in Hockey East if we're even allowed to stay in it. I really think the window of opportunity for them to make a move to turn around the program is closing fast, and if Whitehead is allowed to stick around, Maine hockey may be no more likely to ever be nationally ranked or make the NCAA tournament than the basketball or football teams are. With the loss of all the prestige and dollars that means to UMaine, the price of Whiteheads contract will seem like a bargain to regain the prominence Maine once had and could have already regained if a competent coach and leader of Maine Hockey were put in place today.

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
                    With the loss of all the prestige and dollars that means to UMaine, the price of Whiteheads contract will seem like a bargain to regain the prominence Maine once had and could have already regained if a competent coach and leader of Maine Hockey were put in place today.
                    BINGO!!! It's addition by subtraction. Pay the $525K now to save MILLIONS down the road. It's not frikin rocket science!! I would bet my life that Timmay would take a 2 year buyout at $350K and leave smiling. If I had the money I'd write the check myself and hand deliver it to him, help him pack and drive the d a mn moving van.

Comment

Larrrys article on the new AD
                      http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...eral-criteria/

Here is the 2nd article on the AD
                      http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...-in-september/

Sounds like Steve Abbott might be interested now, not sure how much fund raising he did for Collins but seems like Politicians are always fund raising so maybe he is pretty good at it. One thing for sure is he knows Orono, Umaine and the State extremely well. Must have tons of connections, including some good ones in DC
                      Why does it take so LONG for UMaine to do stuff????!!!! So basically, Abbott has become an "interim" AD for 2 years. Will any of us still be alive when this long, drawn out process finally reaches its conclusion?

Comment

Or the flip of that is that his assistants or someone else makes it appear Timmay's performance is getting much better and Whitehead gets an extension beyond the 3 years he already has, due to the work of his assistants. Whatever happens in 3 years I just hope he never gets anything more than a 1 year extension at a time....real, real short leash if he gets a leash at all.

Comment

Tim Whitehead makes $180,000 a year. Let's break that up and put it into persepective. That's $493 a day, which is $20 dollars an hour or $.34 a minute. Also $180,000 divided by 17 wins (from this season) is $10,588 a win.... I say us fans have every reason to complain. For that amount of money, you gotta produce.

Comment

The more important question in my mind is how supportive Paul Ferguson will be. As the University's president, it's imperative that he provide strong leadership and resources for all of the athletic programs. If an athletic director is to be successful he needs the support of the President.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                              Or the flip of that is that his assistants or someone else makes it appear Timmay's performance is getting much better and Whitehead gets an extension beyond the 3 years he already has, due to the work of his assistants. Whatever happens in 3 years I just hope he never gets anything more than a 1 year extension at a time....real, real short leash if he gets a leash at all.
                              There is that. Hopefully the new AD will be smarter than that, and know what's going on.

Look, I don't want the guy here any longer than he needs to be, but if he's not gonna resign, and we're stuck with him for three more years, he's gotta change and put a better product on the ice. Whether it''s because he smartens up, or whether it's because he sits back and lets Corkum have more of a hand in the day to day operations, I don't care. But if they get better becasue he's taking a more hands-off approach, I hope the new AD will see that before he makes any long term commitments.

Comment

Is Nyquist leaving or staying for his senior year?

Comment

Working...
                                X