X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by Kalle Oakes
    I’ve been a Whitehead apologist since day one, but I’m running out of data to help him out.
    Pretty much this. I don't understand what the fans of other teams and the media folks who want to give Whitehead the benefit of the doubt don't get about this. Its like the criticism he got at the beginning has made people deaf to what's actually become a real and serious problem.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
      And FINALLY........a writer with some common sense and honesty:

http://www.sunjournal.com/local-sports/story/1002613

Hooray for the Lewiston Sun Journal!!!
      That was a very well-written article.Thanks for the link.

The only notion I take exception with is the suggestion that Maine has a snowball's chance of winning a NC in any sport aside from men's hockey or maybe football,if the stars are aligned just so in a given season.Clearly,the one program Maine should focus on re: national recognition is men's hockey.It's the last bit of flotsam available to cling to.

O-Kaaaay...So now what?

Pretty much every media outlet and every fan has weighed-in on the issue,singing the same blues,yet here we are with Tim,still.Those who say we need to have a plan in place before cutting him loose need look no farther than the "plan" that exists now to realize that almost any change will be for the better,or at least no worse.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-21-2011, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
        Does she want another JOB....there's a opening at UM for a NEW AD....please enter....!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          Does she want another JOB....there's a opening at UM for a NEW AD....please enter....!!!!
          I think that's a he.

Comment

Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
            The nutcases have a plan.....fire Timmy hire Jimmy.

Bring Grant with you!
            Great idea. However, with the state of affairs as they are, who in their right mind would walk into a situation like this. Athletes and coaches alike. At least a little noise is being made in the press. But honestly, does anyone think it will do any good. AND does anyone really care aside from a small group of longtime fans. The majority of people in this state don't give a rats arse about Umaine athletics. I consider myself one of the longtime fans, but found myself slipping into an apathetic state this season. I haven't even had the passion to post on this board. I hate feeling this way.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
              Great idea. However, with the state of affairs as they are, who in their right mind would walk into a situation like this. Athletes and coaches alike. At least a little noise is being made in the press. But honestly, does anyone think it will do any good. AND does anyone really care aside from a small group of longtime fans. The majority of people in this state don't give a rats arse about Umaine athletics. I consider myself one of the longtime fans, but found myself slipping into an apathetic state this season. I haven't even had the passion to post on this board. I hate feeling this way.
              money talks.
              as you and more like you slip into apathy, less money will be rolling in.
              The UND and UNH games were not sold out this season.
              When was the last time Maine lost THOSE ticket sales?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                money talks.
                You can throw all the money you want at Whitehead. It's not gonna make him a better coach.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                  You can throw all the money you want at Whitehead. It's not gonna make him a better coach.
                  Nothing will make timmay a better coach We've established that as a fact already. What KIA is alluding to is that if ticket sales and revenue drop enough due to the present chitty product that Whitehead is trying to pass on as a hockey team, then others will take notice and maybe chitcan his sorry azz. If Whitehead really cared about the program as he claims he does, he would step down now, before his contract expires, and let the University fill his position with someone more qualified.
                  I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Anyone paying attention to Union? Nate Lehman former Asst under Shawn is done one heck of a job there. Their PP is killer, close to 31% or something stupid like that. Everyone talks about Jimmy, why not Nate?
                    Last edited by walrus; 03-21-2011, 01:34 PM.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                      money talks.
                      The average, per game attendence over the last 3 seasons is approximately 4,489. Maine maintained their sellout streak (5,641 at the time) over the majority of Tim's first 3 seasons. That's 1,152 fewer tickets per game

Let's not even factor in:
                      --Not as many people are paying the additional donations for premium seating.
                      --Over the last 3 years, Maine has offered group discount rates of $10 per ticket not previously offered
                      --Season ticket rates have dropped from $19 per ticket to $18. Doesn't sound like a big deal. But if there were 3,000 season tickets held at 17 home games per year, that's over $150,000 in 3 years time.

So even if you assume all those attendees are paying "normal price", and you average single game tickets and season ticket holder tickets, and call the rate $19/ticket... And, for the sake of consistency, say the team averages 17 Home Games per year.

$19 x 1,152 tickets = $21,888 per game. Multiplied by 51 games over a 3 year span =

We're minus $1,116,288 in ticket revenue pace alone compared to Tim's first 3 years.

NOW, let's factor in...
                      -concession sales. If each lost attendee would have paid $3 in concessions, thats another $175,000
                      -merch sales. No real way to figure it, but do you suppose those are up or down?
                      -Private Donations. We all know James ****ed off the Kings. How do you suppose our overall donations are faring?
                      -Season ticket price drop. As I said, that figures in another 6 digit number.

SO HOW CAN WE BLAME OR EXCUSE IT??

Must be reflective of the poor economy?...

I don't buy it. The prospect of a bounce back year had ticket sales UP over 700 attendees per game this year compared to last. You suppose those numbers are going to jump again next year after this year's performance with seemingly elite talent? I don't. I expect them to drop, once again.

Tim's influence has lost this program well over 1 million dollars over the course of his last 3 years compared to his first 3 years. A team with so much talent lost or tied 12 games they led in this year - most of those leads or ties blown late. That's the equivalent of an NHL team losing 27 games they led in, late, and a traditionally proud hockey market seeing their revenue and interest flounder -- and for the first time since 2006/2007.... 'Next Year' has a more grim outlook than THIS year...and we didnt do ANYTHING this year.

The fact that this is tolerated by anyone is beyond me.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Anyone paying attention to Union? Nate Lehman former Asst under Shawn is done one heck of a job there. Their PP is killer, close to 31% or something stupid like that. Everyone talks about Jimmy, why not Nate?
                        Heckuva point. I remember how pizzed i was at losin to those guys a few years back. Guess they had the last laugh on that one. Not sure about the ezac jump to hockey east though. Think toot cahoon.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          Heckuva point. I remember how pizzed i was at losin to those guys a few years back. Guess they had the last laugh on that one. Not sure about the ezac jump to hockey east though. Think toot cahoon.
                          Toot did fine when he had a top recruiter working for him

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                            Nothing will make timmay a better coach We've established that as a fact already. What KIA is alluding to is that if ticket sales and revenue drop enough due to the present chitty product that Whitehead is trying to pass on as a hockey team, then others will take notice and maybe chitcan his sorry azz. If Whitehead really cared about the program as he claims he does, he would step down now, before his contract expires, and let the University fill his position with someone more qualified.
                            It was truly bizzarre when he said that nobody cared more about the program... He cares now... while he is coaching at maine, but I can promise that unlike the internet nutcases... once he is at Hamilton, where he belongs, he will NOT be driving up to Orono to see home games and to Merrimack,Lowell, Providence and ***** North Dakota, like the "internet nutcases" who, according to him, care at least a little bit less about the program than he does.

If Blake had any loyalty, he would have stuck a fork in his buddy, telling him "it is not that I love you less, it is that I love Maine hockey more.... et tu, Blake... then... fall caesar"

hey, as I think of it, his haircut look alot like sting's AND Caesar's... we should call him little caesar

Comment

Gaius Julius Timmay?

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                                Toot didn't work with Shawn
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X