X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    I'd have to look it up but I wonder how often the coach of the year just goes to the regular season winner? Either that or the coaches chose to show their displeasure with Merrimack's gonnery with this vote. Not trying to be a troll, but they had to have a reason for not voting for Dennehy and that about all I can think of.
    I can think of one good reason for not voting Dennehy. He coaches in the same league as Jerry York.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      I can think of one good reason for not voting Dennehy. He coaches in the same league as Jerry York.
      York is tremendous; glad he won and not trying to say otherwise. Did not realize it was first time in 15 years a team won 20 league games. Still, when the coaches vote, theyre not thinking of the York legend or the last decade. So there had to be something that pushed them. Just thinking out loud that Merrimack's style doesnt win it any friends. I find it hilarious that the Mack fans are stressed out about this.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        York is tremendous; glad he won and not trying to say otherwise. Did not realize it was first time in 15 years a team won 20 league games. Still, when the coaches vote, theyre not thinking of the York legend or the last decade. So there had to be something that pushed them. Just thinking out loud that Merrimack's style doesnt win it any friends. I find it hilarious that the Mack fans are stressed out about this.
        Well, that's purely speculative whether they felt the need to NOT vote Dennehy. I really think they see the way Jerry runs his program and admire it, there's no whining, no berating officials, etc and gave it to him with the first place finish. Maybe they feel there is more to the award than the results; like the way the coaches go about getting those results? I don't know. I'll just throw that out there too.

But... if they did feel the need to pick someone other than Dennehy you make a great point. There is no hiding the fact that Merrimack is (still) a thug team and perhaps that goes through the minds of the voters.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          York is the best coach in the league, probably the nation, maybe of all time. He should win every year but he doesn't because his teams are stacked but they're stacked because of him. I've never understaood how he doesn't win every year. That said Dennehy had a great year and deserves some accolades for the year MC has had.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Maybe TIMMAY becomes the new AD? Promoted up and out so you can hire a new coach?

But then, TIMMAY's the one hiring the new coach. Quite the conundrum.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              I think that may have changed.
              If it has changed then it must be because the political climate in DC doesn't lend itself to a nice cushy $200K+ gig in the foreseeable future for Mr. Abbott. Who can blame him for seeking the permanent AD poistion at UMaine if this is the case? As Blake James proved........you don't even have to have the brains of a baboon to do the job. And with little to no pressure to succeed........you really just have to smile, attend public functions and sporting events, and let your PR dept. write up lame press releases for the lame Maine media known as the BDN and PPH. Also, I'm guessing that Cosgrove and the donors that fund football are pushing for Abbott who is very football friendly.

Comment

I thought this wasn't the place for politics?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  I thought this wasn't the place for politics?
                  What is Steve Abbott's background???

Comment

Originally posted by maineiac37 View Post
                    It is somewhat sad when the toughest kid (by far...really no close second either) on your hockey team has to be the smallest kid. Yes, Diamond led the Hockey East in PIM's (and 2nd in NCAA as of last night) but any objective observer would undoubedly see that a large portion of these are due to being singled out by "soft-call" refs. When Sullivan gets poked after the whistle, Diamond is there. Shemansky gets decked from behind (a hit that if made my Joey himself, he would have been thrown out...and who knows, maybe even suspended a week later), Diamond is the only guy in blue to skate across the rink and get in the guilty party's face. Loose puck in front of opposing net, Diamond is the only one who feels the need to leave his feet and take a beating. And the list goes on Without talking negatively about anyone in particular, it is obvious to anyone who watched the Black Bears this (disappointing) season that Diamond is the only player that is even aware that there is a front of the net. On any other team this is the work that is done by the biggest, less skilled guys (i.e. Bigos, Blood, Gyrba etc). But to those who might disagree, yes J. Diamond does take dumb penalties at times. He is a young player who still has to learn that there is a time and place for everything. But being a Black Bear fan for 16 years, I hope he doesnt change too much. No one wants to root for a team that doesnt even have 1 guy the opposing team doesnt like playing against.
                    Well said and Diamond is a heart & soul type player that Maine needs more of...now if he can temper his penaltys and turn it into a asset and bait the other team into dumb penalty's. Go #39...!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      York is the best coach in the league, probably the nation, maybe of all time. He should win every year but he doesn't because his teams are stacked but they're stacked because of him. I've never understaood how he doesn't win every year. That said Dennehy had a great year and deserves some accolades for the year MC has had.
                      He is a GREAT Coach...now,tommorrow and when he enters the College Hockey Hall of Fame....but this year Dennehey did a amazing job for Merrimack and has helped that team/area pickup some interest in there program...which makes Hockey East even stronger each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        Well, that's purely speculative whether they felt the need to NOT vote Dennehy. I really think they see the way Jerry runs his program and admire it, there's no whining, no berating officials, etc and gave it to him with the first place finish. Maybe they feel there is more to the award than the results; like the way the coaches go about getting those results? I don't know. I'll just throw that out there too.

But... if they did feel the need to pick someone other than Dennehy you make a great point. There is no hiding the fact that Merrimack is (still) a thug team and perhaps that goes through the minds of the voters.
                        If coach of the year was based on this criteria he would win every year.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                          What is Steve Abbott's background???
                          It was intended for Wally, and his ranting over Baldacci, but it seems he's done a Knowitall and deleted his posts.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            It was intended for Wally, and his ranting over Baldacci, but it seems he's done a Knowitall and deleted his posts.
                            I figured it was the right thing to do, 2 wrongs don't make a right

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                              there's about 17 too many "ifs" in this scenario, but after tonights results in the wcha, maine still could get to 15th if the following happens:

Atlantic Hockey
                              Semifinal #2: Air Force defeats Holy Cross
                              Semifinal #1: RIT defeats Connecticut
                              Championship game: Air Force defeats RIT
                              CCHA
                              Semifinal #2: Miami defeats Notre Dame
                              Semifinal #1: Michigan defeats Western Michigan
                              Championship game: Michigan defeats Miami
                              Consolation game: Notre Dame defeats Western Michigan
                              ECAC
                              Semifinal #2: Cornell defeats Dartmouth
                              Semifinal #1: Yale defeats Colgate
                              Championship game: Yale defeats Cornell
                              Consolation game: Dartmouth defeats Colgate
                              Hockey East
                              Semifinal #2: Merrimack defeats New Hampshire
                              Semifinal #1: Northeastern defeats Boston College
                              Championship game: Merrimack defeats Northeastern
                              WCHA
                              Semifinal #2: Denver defeats Bemidji State
                              Semifinal #1: North Dakota defeats Colorado College
                              Championship game: North Dakota defeats Denver

Looks like NU isn't going to help out there

Comment

No backing in for TIMMAY this year. He gakked this one up all by himself.

Now that they know for sure they won't be playing, maybe he can submit his resignation papers.

Comment

Working...
                                X