X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    FWIW....What IF Interim A.D. Abbott puts his name in for the permanent position and gets the job..? Does he put the HEAT on Whitehead..?
    Doubt it.......he's a politician first and foremost.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Is this called for in a hockey thread?, take your political views and head to the cafe where they belong
      He's kinda right though........

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
        i believe abbott went on record when he took the position that he was not interested in the ad job on a permanent basis...
        I think that may have changed.

Comment

Gustav Nyquist named top 10 for the Hobey Baker....first Maine guy to do that twice since? Steve Kariya?

Also named Hockey East first-team...which was Atkinson-Thompson-Nyquist-Dumoulin-Kessel-Muse. Those are the five I would have picked, FWIW.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel
            I don't argue a bit with the idea that a declining program would and probably should consider a change, but it is interesting to watch the mental gyrations that are necessary to give any and all credit for Maine's accomplishments to Walsh and the players, while placing all the blame for losses and missed opportunities on Whitehead.

When Whitehead teams win, it's because of Walsh players like Howard. When Whitehead teams lose-- with or without Walsh players-- it's his fault.

When Whitehead teams win with his players-- like the two frozen four appearances with Ben Bishop-- it's an "easy road", so again, Whitehead gets no credit. When Whitehead teams lose-- it's his fault.

When the current team wins, it's evidence of how talented the kids are-- despite and in direct opposition to the assertion that Walsh and Grant were better recruiters than Whitehead-- and of how Whitehead fails to develop players, use them appropriately, or motivate them to improve. When the current team loses, it's not because the players aren't talented enough, or because they don't apply their talents appropriately, it's because Whitehead is playing the wrong players, or giving the right players wrong instructions, or telling his assistant coaches to not do sensible things or to shut up.

Sure, the buck stops with the head coach-- always. While true, that's a necessarily arbitrary distinction-- it's because somebody has to take responsibility, not because the coach actually does everything. I just have difficulty swallowing the two diametrically opposed ideas, that there's a big talent gap between Walsh recruits and Whitehead recruits that allows for the reassigning of credit for the first few years from Whitehead to Walsh, and then simultaneously Whitehead's teams underachieve, because they are "just as talented" as certain past Maine squads, some under Walsh, but haven't reaped the same results. Shouldn't it be one or the other-- not both-- even if it's agreed that the program needs a change?
            Well, this season was the litmus test. You can't take a team that was top 5 to begin with, top 10 after a couple months, and not get home ice in your own league. Have no shot of competing for a national. You can't do that anywhere... let time alone at Maine. Yes, the Maine fans expect a lot, as they are used to it. Used to enjoying competing at a national level. But even after you become less rabid and rational and look at this season, you walk away disappointed! Maine fans expect better, as any self respecting fan would. Given the litmus, it isn't getting better anytime soon. There are results be had. Tim, AD, school... do the right f'in thing and make it an easy transition. Find a good job and make it a win-win. But do the right f'in thing. This is just not rational for even the most understanding. To do nothing is to have no passion. There is the crux of it, no passion. Let us take our chances with the passion. You can't win the pot if you fold. Well, let's try our chances with the cards we are dealt. Nobody likes eating stale pretzels as they are milked by the blinds.

All in. my $0.02

Comment

Looks like with a BC win over NU, this thread title becomes "official."

Comment

there's about 17 too many "ifs" in this scenario, but after tonights results in the wcha, maine still could get to 15th if the following happens:

Atlantic Hockey
                Semifinal #2: Air Force defeats Holy Cross
                Semifinal #1: RIT defeats Connecticut
                Championship game: Air Force defeats RIT
                CCHA
                Semifinal #2: Miami defeats Notre Dame
                Semifinal #1: Michigan defeats Western Michigan
                Championship game: Michigan defeats Miami
                Consolation game: Notre Dame defeats Western Michigan
                ECAC
                Semifinal #2: Cornell defeats Dartmouth
                Semifinal #1: Yale defeats Colgate
                Championship game: Yale defeats Cornell
                Consolation game: Dartmouth defeats Colgate
                Hockey East
                Semifinal #2: Merrimack defeats New Hampshire
                Semifinal #1: Northeastern defeats Boston College
                Championship game: Merrimack defeats Northeastern
                WCHA
                Semifinal #2: Denver defeats Bemidji State
                Semifinal #1: North Dakota defeats Colorado College
                Championship game: North Dakota defeats Denver

Comment

• Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                  Looks like with a BC win over NU, this thread title becomes "official."
                  This season was officially done when timmay didn't resign over the summer and the same will happen next year if they don't fire him!!! U Maine has to figure out if it wants its hockey team to be a winner or just another "also ran" like all its other sports....there is no leadership at any level!!! Get a real AD, get a real coach and it can be salvaged and start going in the right direction....effort, passion and determination will go a long way in righting the ship!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MEFANinLA View Post
                    This season was officially done when timmay didn't resign over the summer and the same will happen next year if they don't fire him!!! U Maine has to figure out if it wants its hockey team to be a winner or just another "also ran" like all its other sports....there is no leadership at any level!!! Get a real AD, get a real coach and it can be salvaged and start going in the right direction....effort, passion and determination will go a long way in righting the ship!!!
                    "IF" Maine does not hire a GOOD AD this summer then Maine Hockey and all other sports programs at UM are done in terms of winning and playing for Championships. This AD hire this summer makes or breaks a long time tradition for Maine Hockey....pretty SAD that this is the way it has come down to in the last 6 years....

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      I think that may have changed.
                      Yes I heard the same...rumors mind you...but thats why I put it out there a few post back.

Comment

Jerry York won the Hockey East Coach of the Year...a Good man and a good choice,but not this year...the Award should have gone to Merrimacks Dennehey,hands down...imo.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          Gustav Nyquist named top 10 for the Hobey Baker....first Maine guy to do that twice since? Steve Kariya?

Also named Hockey East first-team...which was Atkinson-Thompson-Nyquist-Dumoulin-Kessel-Muse. Those are the five I would have picked, FWIW.
                          Only two other players repeated for Maine as a Hobey Baker finalist. David Capuano and Jean-Yves Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            Jerry York won the Hockey East Coach of the Year...a Good man and a good choice,but not this year...the Award should have gone to Merrimacks Dennehey,hands down...imo.
                            I disagree. York should have won it ahead of Dennehy if it were just those two but I think Whitehead should have won it this year. He's a proven winner. Look at all those Frozen Fours! I mean, Maine finished 5th AND swept North Dakota... That's pretty good and has to count for something!
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I'd have to look it up but I wonder how often the coach of the year just goes to the regular season winner? Either that or the coaches chose to show their displeasure with Merrimack's gonnery with this vote. Not trying to be a troll, but they had to have a reason for not voting for Dennehy and that about all I can think of.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

It is somewhat sad when the toughest kid (by far...really no close second either) on your hockey team has to be the smallest kid. Yes, Diamond led the Hockey East in PIM's (and 2nd in NCAA as of last night) but any objective observer would undoubedly see that a large portion of these are due to being singled out by "soft-call" refs. When Sullivan gets poked after the whistle, Diamond is there. Shemansky gets decked from behind (a hit that if made my Joey himself, he would have been thrown out...and who knows, maybe even suspended a week later), Diamond is the only guy in blue to skate across the rink and get in the guilty party's face. Loose puck in front of opposing net, Diamond is the only one who feels the need to leave his feet and take a beating. And the list goes on Without talking negatively about anyone in particular, it is obvious to anyone who watched the Black Bears this (disappointing) season that Diamond is the only player that is even aware that there is a front of the net. On any other team this is the work that is done by the biggest, less skilled guys (i.e. Bigos, Blood, Gyrba etc). But to those who might disagree, yes J. Diamond does take dumb penalties at times. He is a young player who still has to learn that there is a time and place for everything. But being a Black Bear fan for 16 years, I hope he doesnt change too much. No one wants to root for a team that doesnt even have 1 guy the opposing team doesnt like playing against.

Comment

Working...
                                X