This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

[QUOTE=dmjossel;5083680]I suppose that could be true, but I'd tend to consider this particular forum, at least, to be a vocal minority, and not a majority of the citizens of Maine, most of which I'd suspect probably aren't even aware of the issue, much less have an opinion on it. [QUOTE}

Jeez,ya think..?And all this time I've been thinking that nary a citizen of The Pine Tree State had slept a wink since Saturday night,even the sweet little babies!

Kindly leave us soon.Your posts on this thread are verbose,dull,beside the point and transparent in their intent.(Yeah,some of us have bitten anyway...Our bad.)If you are a an MC fan,why not post there,and back-slap a while with like-minded guys who are enjoying a truly exceptional season in North Andover?

I'm definitely gonna root for The Mack in the NCAAs-I'd truly love to see them win it all-but I won't be reading or posting on their thread.(Little hint there.)

See you next year,if at all,please?
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-16-2011, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
      I will spell it out for you in terms related to one of your trolling posts.
      I'm not trolling. I'm saying that a lot of the conclusions that Whitehead definitely should go (and I'm actually not suggesting he shouldn't) are based on flawed evaluations and false premises, that's all. I don't have a stake in who Maine has as their coach, my interest was only in the process, not the result-- a discussion of how decisions like this are and should be made. Your only response has been that the decision is obvious and that you know it all, which is not particularly interesting or enlightening-- just rude.

YES, we do expect and were promised better than what we have seen
      We, unlike you, know what a coach can bring to the table, and we know that when certain things happen, it is the coach's fault, and nobody elses. (certain things)

He begs for cash to go out and recruit the best, to give the people of Maine a championship calibre team (go look at the website, and then look at Northeastern's and merrimack's... do you see any "promises"

Dennehy approached me for a lot of cashola... sponsor a jersey, sponsor a seatback, be a member of this and that... "because I am building a contender"

Tim made those claims, Mark made those claims...
      do you really not get that?
      All coaches make those claims. It is their job to make those claims, and then do their best to make good on those claims. Sometimes they get the things they need to accomplish those goals, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they are able to achieve the goals-- with or without resources-- and sometimes not. Sometimes they achieve the goals only partially. My only point has been that in the case of Maine, right now, those goals have admittedly not been fully achieved, but neither have the results been as poor as made out, and the apportioning of credit and blame for those results has been distributed in such a way that indicate many have judged the coach in a manner separate from the results themselves.

As for Coach Dennehy-- if he had to exchange as many words with you as I have within this thread, on behalf of the alumni I regret it. I certainly hope it was worth it for him.

as for not working in a service position... I know... "freelance consultant" means that you are not even asking if I would like fries... but you live only blocks from McDonald's and I know that Shawsheen Sunoco is hiring.

see, Zippy, not only do I know college hockey, I KNOW IT ALL
      You don't know much. I don't live at the address you refer to, and haven't for over a decade, or do you think that McDonald's and Sunoco are now open in Kazakhstan? Your other information is no more current or accurate, but hey-- why should your little escapade of sleuthery about me turn out to be any more useful or relevant than anything else you've written?

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Jeez,ya think..?And all this time I've been thinking that nary a citizen of The Pine Tree State had slept a wink since Saturday night,even the sweet little babies!
      Why did you say it then? You were the one who said that a "majority" of his bosses wanted him fired, then you admit that's not the case.

Kindly leave us soon.
      Okay.

Your posts on this thread are verbose,
      Guilty as charged. While I admit that brevity is the soul of wit, I often find that it's better to write a bit more and be sure no one misunderstands than to use shorthand. It seems this as failed me here, as I've been perceived as a troll with some secret unknowable agenda, and that isn't the case at all.

dull,
      My apologies.

beside the point
      I'd have to take exception, as a good deal of the discussion in many Maine-related threads this season has been criticism and defense of their coach. It's a shame that not having a position on the issue myself, but rather a passing interest in how people make up their minds, has labeled me as, at best, a defender of a derided public employee, or, at worst, a troll. Oh well.

and transparent in their intent.(Yeah,some of us have bitten anyway...Our bad.)
      Mind telling me? I'm honestly not interested in trolling. I've said nothing particularly offensive about any poster here, or about anyone's school, or even about those who feel I am questioning their obvious conclusion that Whitehead be fired-- as I mentioned, I don't necessarily think that's wrong, I just think that some of the ways people arrived at that conclusion are somewhat curious, and may skew their expectations for what comes afterward, and not for the better. To be lumped in with those who start threads like "Why isn't Union #1" and denigrations of the "EZAC" I think is a bit uncharitable, no?

If you are a an MC fan,why not post there,and back-slap a while with like-minded guys who are enjoying a truly exceptional season in North Andover?
      I am, I do, and I have.

I'm definitely gonna root for The Mack in the NCAAs-I'd truly love to see them win it all-
      Thanks! Much appreciated. I do think the Warriors' success this year is a pretty compelling story. That it comes at the expense of other fans' expectations for their programs is the nature of the game, but I would have hoped that being revealed as a supporter of one program isn't automatically indicative of having some shadowy agenda against the fans of another.

but I won't be reading or posting on their thread.(Little hint there.)
      Plenty of fans both read and post in season threads of other programs. I realize that a lot of that which does go on is trolling, but that is sincerely not my intent at all. If that's the only way it can or will be perceived, then I won't post further on this topic-- I doubt there's any more for me to say on it, and it's unfortunate that there was really very little reasoned response to my question about how Maine fans evaluate their coach's performance, but perhaps that's simply to be expected so soon after the season's end.

See you next year,if at all,please?
      Agreed. Thanks for being civil, much appreciated.
      Last edited by dmjossel; 03-16-2011, 02:46 AM. Reason: quote fix

Comment

Check out the BDNews Sports section TODAY....boy did Mahoney throw Whitehead under the Bus.....YA RIGHT...Mahoney missed it again...but thats his M.O. on UM Hockey...say a little to get alot of Story's......B.S. imo

Comment

Really..?

I thought it was the most balls-out article Larry has ever written.I commend him for publically taking a stand.

Comment

The problem I have with Larry's article is right in the headline. It's not time for Whitehead to silence his critics, it WAS time for Whitehead to silence his critics and he failed miserably because there are more now than ever before. If he is to silence his critics, he would have to build a winning team, and that would require at least another season or two with him behind the Maine bench, something Maine Hockey cannot afford!

For every year he stays, there is a lot more financial damage being done to the University and credibility damage being done to the hockey program than what his salary amounts to. The University can't afford to NOT buy him out, and the sooner the better if anyone in Orono wants to keep our ONE nationally prominent sports program. Once this program is torn down, the likelihood of us ever having another such program is nil.

Comment

Personally I liked the article. He pointed out what a lot of us have been saying and now its out in the open for more folks to see, read and ponder. I never thought he'd bring up the fire timmay handout or the fact the Blake James is freakin' idiot for extending Tim for 3 years.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Thanks for pointing out the article. It brings up the topic, but fails because he claims that Whitehead needs to prove his detractors wrong, but IMO he has had this opportunity and failed. Of course no one cares about the program more than him......he makes a hefty $$$$6-figure salary to do so. If he didn't get paid he would be in the back of a line of many die-hard supporters for this program.Unfortunately, he probably will be behind the bench for a another season or two before the "Powers-that-be" pull their heads out the sand and fire him.

Comment

The only way he could prove his detractors wronmg at this point would be to wildly exceed expectations in the next two seasons. Looks to be rebuilding time again, with lots more excuses of "we're young", "we need to gain experience", "if only Nyquist hadn't left", etc. If the next two seasons he takes a young, inexperienced team back to the Garden, and makes the NCAA tourney, it may go a long way toward dispelling the opinion that he's just not a very good coach.

But I have a feeling we're gonna be seeing more seasons much like the last few. A lot of blown leads, a lot of uninspiring play, with a few impressive performances here and there, leaving you to wonder why they can't play that way more often. And a middle of the pack HE finish, couple with quarterfinal series losses on the road.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

God help Timmy if he ever tries to use Gus leaving as an excuse. You cannot bank on 4 years of that guy if you have half a brain; he was lucky to get 3 and look what ue did with him, big fat zilch. Like I said nice article but a year too late. Larry's right and fair...some will never like Tim because he's not SW. He got unfair criticism early on because of it. But fact is his season to silence doubters was his 2010-11 class and he did not. There's literally nothing he can do to convince me he's the man for the job; things are still raw but this season was that bad, IMHO.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      The only way he could prove his detractors wronmg at this point would be to wildly exceed expectations in the next two seasons. Looks to be rebuilding time again, with lots more excuses of "we're young", "we need to gain experience", "if only Nyquist hadn't left", etc. If the next two seasons he takes a young, inexperienced team back to the Garden, and makes the NCAA tourney, it may go a long way toward dispelling the opinion that he's just not a very good coach.

But I have a feeling we're gonna be seeing more seasons much like the last few. A lot of blown leads, a lot of uninspiring play, with a few impressive performances here and there, leaving you to wonder why they can't play that way more often. And a middle of the pack HE finish, couple with quarterfinal series losses on the road.
                      He has simply turned UMaine into the UML of old. Middle to bottom of the pack team year in and year out. That might be acceptable to some, but it sure as hell isnt acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

I like the article too...at least Big Lar is beginning to step over that line which he is so scared of. Tell it like it really is Larry....its the only way. Remember, the truth is out there...but we need to have it heard by the masses.
                      Last edited by acs64; 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM.
                      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

How can this not happen, whats going to change so that it doesn't happen? A goalie coach could go along way to making the team better, but is it going to happen? Something has to change with the retreating defense, again, who is going to change that?

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                          He has simply turned UMaine into the UML of old. Middle to bottom of the pack team year in and year out. That might be acceptable to some, but it sure as hell isnt acceptable as far as I'm concerned.s.
                          Did they play D like Maine does now, I don't believe so I think they were at least physical to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Did they play D like Maine does now, I don't believe so I think they were at least physical to some degree.
                            Yes, but they changed the rules on obstruction and interference since then, so now TIMMAY has them play like this because we don't want to take penalties now, do we?

It's funny, cause it seems like they take plenty of penalties hitting guys who don't even have the puck, or hitting and scrumming after the whistle, or boarding and hitting from behind in the offensive zone, but we just can't have them taking down or holding guys who have the puck on their stick in the slot, five feet from the goal, or breaking in alone on the goaltender. That's just unacceptable.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Hockey East Awards: Best defnesive forward : Tanner House; Len Ceglarski Sportsmanship Award: Brian Flynn; And Jeff Dimmen got something I don't recognize. Turner Athletics Award for tenacity and innovation. Also, Dan Sullivan was Hockey East All-Rookie team G.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Yes, but they changed the rules on obstruction and interference since then, so now TIMMAY has them play like this because we don't want to take penalties now, do we?

It's funny, cause it seems like they take plenty of penalties hitting guys who don't even have the puck, or hitting and scrumming after the whistle, or boarding and hitting from behind in the offensive zone, but we just can't have them taking down or holding guys who have the puck on their stick in the slot, five feet from the goal, or breaking in alone on the goaltender. That's just unacceptable.
                                rufus, can I please buy you a beer sometime?
                                you and I think SO much alike in so many ways!!!

although we have slightly different opinions on Bellamy, Damon, and the butterfly twins....SLIGHTLY

I have NO IDEA how Tim does not understand what a "good" penalty is... Duffy used to clear out the crease (NOT GET CALLED) and get benched.

Comment

Working...
                                X