X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Absolutely daming statistic Larry digs up today: Maine, which wound up 17-12-7, finished 57th out of 58 Division I schools in save percentage at .884. Maine’s .889 save percentage over the last three seasons ranks 54th.
    And after starting the season 6-1-3, they play .500 hockey the rest of the year, 11-11-4.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      Maine came out and scored two goals in three and a half minutes and then rolled over and died and didn't score again for the rest of the game (Timmay's system? Take an early lead and then try to protect)
      "Don't overextend yourselves, and save your energy". Great advice from the head coach. Good that they weren't spent after giving up the five straight goals, that they still had something left in the tank.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        Diamond came to Maine with a reputation as a feisty hard nosed player and still plays that way. I don't see how Whitehead coached that out of him. .
        Timmy plays favorites and some are allowed to do pretty much whatever they want. Diamond and Tyler are goed examples.
        Others get benched for going against Timmy's wishes... Hegarty and Duffy and DUFFY come to mind

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
          --A 25 year old senior from Quebec who stayed close to home while wanting to fulfill his deceased FATHER'S dream of him playing college hockey and earning his degree (Leveille)
          eee modzee, what choo thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
            Why does everyone think Nyquist won't be the only early departure? I love Spencer Abbott, but besides a blistering shot, I don't see a ton of true pro potential. I actually think Flynn has the best chance of anyone who isn't Gus to take his game to the next level as I think he has the most well rounded game and the right approach, but I can't imagine he's leaving.

I think O'Neill wears the C, while Flynny and Abbott don the As, and short of one of the goalies jumping somewhere else (I think we've established how much of a 'shame' that would be), I think everyone else comes back.
            ppphh Timmy always throws a few to the curb... sometimes he is forced to ask them back, but the night before the banquet he will call acouple into his office to say that the team would be better off without them next year.
            I have a guess on two, but one is a good pk man, the other has nothing going on in D1
            and there is one who I would like to see transfer so that he can get more playing time... tim will never use him to his potential

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
              I don't argue a bit with the idea that a declining program would and probably should consider a change, but it is interesting to watch the mental gyrations that are necessary to give any and all credit for Maine's accomplishments to Walsh and the players, while placing all the blame for losses and missed opportunities on Whitehead.

When Whitehead teams win, it's because of Walsh players like Howard. When Whitehead teams lose-- with or without Walsh players-- it's his fault.

When Whitehead teams win with his players-- like the two frozen four appearances with Ben Bishop-- it's an "easy road", so again, Whitehead gets no credit. When Whitehead teams lose-- it's his fault.

When the current team wins, it's evidence of how talented the kids are-- despite and in direct opposition to the assertion that Walsh and Grant were better recruiters than Whitehead-- and of how Whitehead fails to develop players, use them appropriately, or motivate them to improve. When the current team loses, it's not because the players aren't talented enough, or because they don't apply their talents appropriately, it's because Whitehead is playing the wrong players, or giving the right players wrong instructions, or telling his assistant coaches to not do sensible things or to shut up.

Sure, the buck stops with the head coach-- always. While true, that's a necessarily arbitrary distinction-- it's because somebody has to take responsibility, not because the coach actually does everything. I just have difficulty swallowing the two diametrically opposed ideas, that there's a big talent gap between Walsh recruits and Whitehead recruits that allows for the reassigning of credit for the first few years from Whitehead to Walsh, and then simultaneously Whitehead's teams underachieve, because they are "just as talented" as certain past Maine squads, some under Walsh, but haven't reaped the same results. Shouldn't it be one or the other-- not both-- even if it's agreed that the program needs a change?
              you are thinking like a merrimack college fan of 2007.
              MOST Maine season ticket holders pay $500 PER seat, to have the right to buy their $300 season ticket.
              MC has HOW MANY members of its blueline club?
              maine has [had] HUNDREDS in its different levels of boosters.
              Maine had, up until about 2 years ago, HUNDREDS if not thousands of fans at most away games... I have, many times, sat with MC fans at the Volpe and I was one of about 12! (maybe exaggerating a little) you guys do not even go to Lowell in numbers, never mind up to Maine or UVM.
              Maine fans are not like MOST other fans, so please don't tell us that a .600 record is respectable, it is not... just like Alabama football fans would not accept a coach that kept delivering 8-4 seasons
              Last edited by KnowItAll; 03-15-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

did whitehead step down today ??
                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                  We couldn't get that lucky
                  When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

Where did you hear this?

Comment

Don't be so cruel and tease us like that!! If that were to happen, that would be almost as good as winning the lottery!! Now back to reality....

Comment

Originally posted by john g View Post
                        Where did you hear this?
                        He didn't, it's wishful thinking.

Comment

I heard the same thing...........

Comment

• Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                            I heard the same thing...........
                            Maybe he's goin back to umass Lowell haha

Comment

what's the story?
                              Curse of the Timmy

Comment

If this is a tease you are just cruel. All of you.

Comment

Working...
                                X