X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by sjrceme View Post
    It is a long shot, but if you plug in these results into chn website Maine looks to be 15th.

WCHA Play-in #2: Minnesota-Duluth defeats Bemidji State.
    WCHA Play-in #1: Alaska-Anchorage defeats Colorado College.
    WCHA Semifinal #2: Denver defeats Minnesota-Duluth.
    WCHA Semifinal #1: North Dakota defeats Alaska-Anchorage.
    WCHA Championship game: North Dakota defeats Denver.
    Hockey East Semifinal #2: Merrimack defeats New Hampshire.
    Hockey East Semifinal #1: Northeastern defeats Boston College.
    Hockey East Championship game: Merrimack defeats Northeastern.
    ECAC Semifinal #2: Cornell defeats Dartmouth.
    ECAC Semifinal #1: Yale defeats Colgate.
    ECAC Championship game: Yale defeats Cornell.
    ECAC Consolation game: Colgate defeats Dartmouth.
    CCHA Semifinal #2: Miami defeats Notre Dame.
    CCHA Semifinal #1: Michigan defeats Western Michigan.
    CCHA Championship game: Michigan defeats Miami.
    CCHA Consolation game: Notre Dame defeats Western Michigan.
    Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #2: Air Force defeats Holy Cross.
    Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #1: Connecticut defeats RIT.
    Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Air Force defeats Connecticut.
    it's going to be 85 degrees tomorrow too.
    Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Another appearance in the Garden? That seems kind of low to me but maybe you're a better judge of the team. What about 5 years ago, would an appearance in the garden have satisfied you? At that point I could have cared about the Garden, NCAAs or bust, anything less was failure. I think most of us have tempered our expectations and I'm not sure its a good thing. How do you achieve great things when you're satisifed with lesser things?
      Ultimately, I think every Maine fan wants to see the Black Bears in the national tournament. The first step is getting to the TD Garden and competing for a Hockey East title.

Comment

You should be a D3 fan, you just want a team, it doesn't matter if they perform, you just want to watch hockey. Nothing wrong with that but D3 teams don't have budgets like D1 teams, they aren't expected to perform at certain levels(in most cases, Middlebury and others are exceptions I'm sure). BU underacheived and you can bet their are rumblings about Jack being past his prime. I agree with Hockeypuck, he has done less with more than any other coach except maybe Don Lucia. Lucia might get the ax also
        There were rumblings about Jack being past his prime for about six or eight years before they finally won the NC a couple years ago. But no, it's just us internet nutcases being too hard on poor misunderstood TIMMAY.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Ultimately, I think every Maine fan wants to see the Black Bears in the national tournament. The first step is getting to the TD Garden and competing for a Hockey East title.
          that was last year. building on that would have been home ice and an NCAA appearance. Instead of that they regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            that was last year. building on that would have been home ice and an NCAA appearance. Instead of that they regressed.
            Unfortunately, they did regress . Just one more win (2 points), would have given Maine home ice for the quarter-finals. As we all know, Maine's record at home was far better than their record on the road. We will never know, but Maine at home against Merrimack could have resulted in a different outcome. Maine had one more win in conference than last year, but still not good enough to secure home ice.

Comment

Anyone know how the pair wise would look had Nyquist had netted that break away for the win at UNH? I'm just curious if that calculation is possible.

Comment

It would look better.

Comment

My Expectations for Maine this Season were: A overall Regular Season record of 19-12-3...3rd place - Reg Season in Hockey East,Home Ice QF's,Wins in QF's and at least one win in Boston,a #3 seed some where's in the NC$$'s and a slim to outside chance at playing in April in Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by MainefaninMA View Post
                    Anyone know how the pair wise would look had Nyquist had netted that break away for the win at UNH? I'm just curious if that calculation is possible.
                    Not that it matters because we can play the what if game all summer, but they would be at 15.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                      My Expectations for Maine this Season were: A overall Regular Season record of 19-12-3...3rd place - Reg Season in Hockey East,Home Ice QF's,Wins in QF's and at least one win in Boston,a #3 seed some where's in the NC$$'s and a slim to outside chance at playing in April in Minnesota.
                      Reasonable expectations, I think the goalies not improving over the course of the season is what kept those expectations from coming true. I'm not convinced they'll ever improve looking at Willie and/or Sirman
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        Why are you compelled to tell me what Divisions to be a fan of? I posted a factual observation with a . I love Maine hockey as much as anyone on this list. I just prefer to be more balanced and positive about Maine's future. Please don't tell me which team and division of college hockey I should support.
                        fan is short for fanatic.

if you can stand what Tim is doing and if you think that this is just a game, then you are not a fan, plain and simple.

you certainly have a right not to care, but I am the gatekeeper for who gets to call himself and herself a UMaine Black Bear fan, and I voted unanimously ... you are not a fan

Comment

Reasonable expectations, I think the goalies not improving over the course of the season is what kept those expectations from coming true. I'm not convinced they'll ever improve looking at Willie and/or Sirman
                          Speaking of goalies, I wonder how Timmay's record would look without Howard. A once in a lifetime goalie wasted playing behind "Timmay's system".

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                            Speaking of goalies, I wonder how Timmay's record would look without Howard. A once in a lifetime goalie wasted playing behind "Timmay's system".
                            I think the stars lined up just right for TIMMAY in a lot of ways which helped inflate his accomplishments and in turn gave Maine fans a false sense of security. He inherited first a bunch of battle hardened Walsh players and continued to reap the benefits of Walsh recruits for years to come. Nobody more so than Howard. As pointed out above, even with a very "good" goaltender, Maine probably doesn't even sniff the FF after 2002 without Howard. Throw in some of the easiest brackets in NCAA history and again, you can see how TIMMAY was able to fool the masses. More than anything, once Walsh's players, recruits and assistants started thinning out, so did the victories. I get a laugh how some holdouts still think Timmay has what it takes. The curve is heading down faster and faster and unless something is done soon, Maine's winning ways will be nothing more than a distant memory.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                              Nobody more so than Howard. As pointed out above, even with a very "good" goaltender, Maine probably doesn't even sniff the FF after 2002 without Howard.
                              You won't find a much bigger Howard fan than me, but its worth pointing out that he went to one FF and Ben Bishop, by all accounts a 100% Whitehead recruit, went to two. I'd chalk that up to Grant as much as anything else at this point, and the "easiest bracket ever" theory, which I take serious issue with because it's the freakin NCAA tournament; everyone deserves to be there and is good. UNH should've had an "easy" road with RPI.....

I've digressed. Bottom line I no longer believe Tim has what it takes, but pinning all his successes on Howard is a little misleading.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Absolutely daming statistic Larry digs up today: Maine, which wound up 17-12-7, finished 57th out of 58 Division I schools in save percentage at .884. Maine’s .889 save percentage over the last three seasons ranks 54th.

Also, talk about the goalie's getting worse: In Maine’s first 18 games, they had a combined save percentage of .901. Over the second 18 games, their save percentage was .876.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...hockey-season/

EDIT: Walrus, did you supply this line for ol Larry? "That causes an area of uncertainty as to whether they’re getting the necessary coaching; if they’re going to turn out to be recruiting mistakes or if some of their positive play will lead to more improvement and eventually provide Maine with consistently good goaltending."

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X