PDA

View Full Version : Maine Off Season 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

KnowItAll
03-15-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't argue a bit with the idea that a declining program would and probably should consider a change, but it is interesting to watch the mental gyrations that are necessary to give any and all credit for Maine's accomplishments to Walsh and the players, while placing all the blame for losses and missed opportunities on Whitehead.

When Whitehead teams win, it's because of Walsh players like Howard. When Whitehead teams lose-- with or without Walsh players-- it's his fault.

When Whitehead teams win with his players-- like the two frozen four appearances with Ben Bishop-- it's an "easy road", so again, Whitehead gets no credit. When Whitehead teams lose-- it's his fault.

When the current team wins, it's evidence of how talented the kids are-- despite and in direct opposition to the assertion that Walsh and Grant were better recruiters than Whitehead-- and of how Whitehead fails to develop players, use them appropriately, or motivate them to improve. When the current team loses, it's not because the players aren't talented enough, or because they don't apply their talents appropriately, it's because Whitehead is playing the wrong players, or giving the right players wrong instructions, or telling his assistant coaches to not do sensible things or to shut up.

Sure, the buck stops with the head coach-- always. While true, that's a necessarily arbitrary distinction-- it's because somebody has to take responsibility, not because the coach actually does everything. I just have difficulty swallowing the two diametrically opposed ideas, that there's a big talent gap between Walsh recruits and Whitehead recruits that allows for the reassigning of credit for the first few years from Whitehead to Walsh, and then simultaneously Whitehead's teams underachieve, because they are "just as talented" as certain past Maine squads, some under Walsh, but haven't reaped the same results. Shouldn't it be one or the other-- not both-- even if it's agreed that the program needs a change?

you are thinking like a merrimack college fan of 2007.
MOST Maine season ticket holders pay $500 PER seat, to have the right to buy their $300 season ticket.
MC has HOW MANY members of its blueline club?
maine has [had] HUNDREDS in its different levels of boosters.
Maine had, up until about 2 years ago, HUNDREDS if not thousands of fans at most away games... I have, many times, sat with MC fans at the Volpe and I was one of about 12! (maybe exaggerating a little) you guys do not even go to Lowell in numbers, never mind up to Maine or UVM.
Maine fans are not like MOST other fans, so please don't tell us that a .600 record is respectable, it is not... just like Alabama football fans would not accept a coach that kept delivering 8-4 seasons

acs64
03-15-2011, 02:41 PM
did whitehead step down today ??

GoBlackBears
03-15-2011, 03:14 PM

We couldn't get that lucky

john g
03-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Where did you hear this? :eek:

MEFANinLA
03-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Don't be so cruel and tease us like that!! If that were to happen, that would be almost as good as winning the lottery!! Now back to reality....:mad:

Pucknut
03-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Where did you hear this? :eek:

He didn't, it's wishful thinking.

sandiegoblkbr
03-15-2011, 04:01 PM

I heard the same thing...........

MaineMan
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
I heard the same thing...........

Maybe he's goin back to umass Lowell haha

Gusforhobey
03-15-2011, 04:23 PM
what's the story?

AMC
03-15-2011, 04:35 PM
If this is a tease you are just cruel. All of you.

UncleRay
03-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Heading for Nashville next week - what should I see?

KnowItAll
03-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Heading for Nashville next week - what should I see?

in my opinion, the best thing about Nashville is that every bar has great performers. you do not have to go to the Grand Ole Opry to hear fantastic musicians and performers. the people singing in the bars on "main street' are all excellent (and I am not a country music fan).
walk down the street... every bar will have an open front and you can hear everyone... the performers are from all over the US and Canada and are all there to be discovered.

the food for the most part is not good. I was fooled into thinking that they would have great bar b que... they don't

the BEST food I would recommend is Monells on 1235 6th Avenue North, Nashville
it is family style and a few of the things they serve are NOTHING like anything I have ever seen in New England... there is a pudding glop that is fantastic.... I think it is called corn pudding... it is a side, like mashed potatos.

and if you are into Bluegrass, the Station Inn has great performers all the time.

last... and as unbelievable as this sounds, you have to see the restrooms in the Hermitage Hotel.
they are historic places and the art deco in the men's room is pretty amazing (Historic Nashville Hotel Wins 7th Annual “Cintas America's Best Restroom Award” ...
www.thehermitagehotel.com/site/news_detail.aspx?cid=95)

during prohibition, there was a tunnell from the state house into the men's room which was connected to a speakeasy.

the women's room is equally amazing, but you gotta have balls to get in there if you well...heh heh heh, have balls

rufus
03-15-2011, 07:33 PM

I'm sure he will on April 1st.

nicholasb711
03-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Didn't see this scenario posted anywhere... Here is how Maine would finish 13th. 4 Northeastern over 1 BC, 3 Cornell over 2 Dartmouth, and 5 Alaska-Anchorage over 4 Colorado College are the only upsets. BC would finish third, UNH 8th, Merrimack 10th, Maine 13th, and BU on the outside at 17th. This seems to be the most likely scenario based on the others I have seen.

Atlantic Hockey
Semifinal #2: 2 Air Force defeats 3 Holy Cross
Semifinal #1: 1 RIT defeats 4 Connecticut
Championship game: 1 RIT defeats 2 Air Force

CCHA
Semifinal #2: 2 Notre Dame defeats 3 Miami
Semifinal #1: 1 Michigan defeats 4 Western Michigan
Championship game: 1 Michigan defeats 2 Notre Dame
Consolation game: 3 Miami defeats 4 Western Michigan

ECAC
Semifinal #2: 3 Cornell defeats 2 Dartmouth
Semifinal #1: 1 Yale defeats 4 Colgate
Championship game: 1 Yale defeats 3 Cornell
Consolation game: 2 Dartmouth defeats 4 Colgate

Hockey East
Semifinal #2: 2 New Hampshire defeats 3 Merrimack
Semifinal #1: 4 Northeastern defeats 1 Boston College
Championship game: 2 New Hampshire defeats 4 Northeastern

WCHA
Play-in #2: 3 Minnesota-Duluth defeats 6 Bemidji State
Play-in #1: 5 Alaska-Anchorage defeats 4 Colorado College
Semifinal #2: 2 Denver defeats 3 Minnesota-Duluth
Semifinal #1: 1 North Dakota defeats 5 Alaska-Anchorage
Championship game: 1 North Dakota defeats 2 Denver

rufus
03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Larry speaks out.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/03/15/sports/it%e2%80%99s-time-for-whitehead-to-silence-his-critics/ (http://http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/03/15/sports/it%e2%80%99s-time-for-whitehead-to-silence-his-critics/)

Kinda halfhearted and wishy washy, but at least he did something.

KnowItAll
03-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Larry speaks out.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/03/15/sports/it%e2%80%99s-time-for-whitehead-to-silence-his-critics/ (http://http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/03/15/sports/it%e2%80%99s-time-for-whitehead-to-silence-his-critics/)

Kinda halfhearted and wishy washy, but at least he did something.

great minds...

I think that when he was called out for speaking ill of timmy behind his back, but extolling his virtues in person, he felt a "need" to come out of his apologist closet.

carltonbarrett
03-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Seems the BDN's Larry Mahoney thinks Orono's location is a negative as well:

"His detractors say he isn’t fiery enough or charismatic enough to lure top-notch recruits to geographically-challenged Orono and to get the most out of his players."

rufus
03-15-2011, 10:01 PM
great minds...

I think that when he was called out for speaking ill of timmy behind his back, but extolling his virtues in person, he felt a "need" to come out of his apologist closet.

What did he say behind TIMMAY's back? That he thought they'd lose the series to Merrimack?

BoSox3066
03-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Would have been a great story for Larry to write LAST YEAR. 2009-10 was the season for Tim to silence his critics for good, and part of me even had some faith that he would. He failed. Miserably. End of story.

dmjossel
03-15-2011, 10:52 PM
you are thinking like a merrimack college fan of 2007.

Actually, more like a fan of Merrimack College of 1997 or perhaps even 1987, if we're picking years.

MOST Maine season ticket holders pay $500 PER seat, to have the right to buy their $300 season ticket.

That must explain it. I assume the Maine athletics department must have been guaranteeing wins at all home games on the backs of the tickets. I suppose in the Walsh era that was a really safe bet, but perhaps from now on they ought to stress that a season ticket only confers the right to watch a game, not the right to watch a victory.

MC has HOW MANY members of its blueline club?

I have no idea. Is that relevant to something? Does Whitehead get to keep, or lose, his job based on that comparison? That seems an even odder metric to use.

maine has [had] HUNDREDS in its different levels of boosters.
Maine had, up until about 2 years ago, HUNDREDS if not thousands of fans at most away games... I have, many times, sat with MC fans at the Volpe and I was one of about 12! (maybe exaggerating a little) you guys do not even go to Lowell in numbers, never mind up to Maine or UVM.

Again, all true.. and Maine has a student body more than five times as large as Merrimack's, and an even bigger alumni base given their longer history, so we're not talking about hockey here as much as we are about demographics.

Maine fans are not like MOST other fans, so please don't tell us that a .600 record is respectable, it is not... just like Alabama football fans would not accept a coach that kept delivering 8-4 seasons

Every fan of a program thinks they are different from other fans, and their program is different from other programs. Being spoiled by success is not a unique experience-- just an above average one.

All you're really displaying here is the same thing displayed by the BU fans dismayed with Parker-- that they are so spoiled by years of winning that they have lost all sense of proportion, and they want a return to the status quo they remember-- the days when there was a clear demarcation between the good teams (which includes theirs, of course) and everybody else, with different standards of performance for each, and no motion whatsoever between the two groups.

Every program goes through down cycles and up cycles. Some trend more towards one than the other, but sometimes they move from trending low to trending high. Since collegiate athletics is essentially a zero sum game-- for every winner there is a loser-- the only way that Maine can ALWAYS perform to fan expectations and BU can ALWAYS perform to fan expectations and for BC, Michigan, NoDak, UNH, and all the other elite teams to meet their expectations, is for all the other programs to continue to lose and fail. Sometimes, some of those programs are going to succeed once in awhile, and sometimes they might succeed just a bit more often than that, and attempt to move towards that "elite" group. In order for that to happen, some programs-- sometimes-- are going to be on the outside looking in, participating in the NCAAs instead of winning them, playing in the playoffs on the road instead of at home, waiting at home to see what the PWR says when all is said and done instead of controlling their own destiny. It's the nature of things. Change and uncertainty are part of the game, part of the sport. If all the fans of elite teams actually got everything they wished for, there'd be no reason to play the games, no reason to celebrate wins, because wins are only enjoyable in opposition to losses which are not. It is Merrimack's past losses, as much as the performance of the team on the ice now, that made this season's quarterfinal series so enjoyable, and why the Merrimack crowd was pumped while at least two of the other series seemed to be pretty humdrum affairs.

Is it really anything to brag about that Maine fans are saying that their team could do better than others, but they'd enjoy it less? What's the point of that? Is the league giving out some High Fan Expectations award I don't know about?