NCAA Quarterfinal: Elmira @ Adrian 3/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Quarterfinal: Elmira @ Adrian 3/12

East meets West one week earlier than usual.

First meeting ever between the two clubs with a spot in the FF on the line. Elmira looking to get back for the first time since 2008.

Adrian looking to not only make its first appearance, but also record its first-ever NCAA Tournament win.

Discuss.

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post
    East meets West one week earlier than usual.

First meeting ever between the two clubs with a spot in the FF on the line. Elmira looking to get back for the first time since 2008.

Adrian looking to not only make its first appearance, but also record its first-ever NCAA Tournament win.

Discuss.
    Adrian made their first appearance last year.

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
      Read the context he's talking Final Four
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Re: NCAA Quarterfinal: Elmira @ Adrian 3/12

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
        Read what Remy said.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

There's not a whole lot to go on to handicap this game. We know Adrian has a very skilled team. There are those who will discount the scoring statistics and argue the numbers reflect the competition. I would argue that this group has performed at a very high level for four consecutive years. This consistency is worthy of respect.

Elmira on the other hand have made 4 consecutive appearances in the tournament playing in what is arguably the toughest conference in DIII, and as we know the only way they qualify is by invitation as Pool B or C participant. They don't often get a night off, and if the tough road they have travelled hasn't taken too much of a toll, they will be very well prepared for whatever Adrian has in store.

Manhattanville was the only common opponent this year and Elmira would win that comparison, but both teams are playing at a different level today than they were back in January.

Team Offense +1 Adrian
          Avg/Gm 5.04
          Notwithstanding the degree of difficulty in schedules, I think Adrian come out ahead in these stats. They have 3 solid scoring lines with 4 years of chemistry.

Special Teams Even
          Adrian's is #2 nationally in PP and # 1 in PK .......however...
          Elmira on average spends 9 minutes less in the box than Adrian so I really think it's a wash. Special teams is a huge element in "one and done" tournament play. The more disciplined team will have an advantage. Adrian apears to have the stats and Elmira appears to have more discipline so I call it a wash. That said, I hope we get officials that do their job without becoming a factor in the outcome.

Team Defense +1/2 Elmira
          McDonald (7th) has a slight edge statistically over Fogal (8th). Adrian have allowed fewer goals. Given degree of difficulty for the overall season Elmira gets the .5.
          Both goalies have been hot at the right time.

Big Game Experience +1 Elmira.
          No further comment required

Home Ice +1 Adrian
          Adrian fans and students haven't established a whole lot of traditions that would be cause for intimidation to visiting teams, but it gets better every year. The Harris Cup was well attended and a great environment.The Elmira contingent will certainly be our first experience at having a large fanbase supporting the Visitors' side. I hope they leave with good things to report about their Adrian experience, but disappointed with the outcome.

I think this game will be very exciting for those lucky enough to watch it.

My score 4-3 Adrian ....adding to the Legacy of Firsts

Comment

Should be a good game. EC definitely has big game experience on their side. I think Adrian has shown they can hang with anyone though. Win or lose, the Bulldog seniors have much to be proud of!
            Wish I could be there, but unfortunately will be working...Ah, to be a student again. Webcast will have to do!
            Adrian College Bulldogs!
            MCHA Champs & Harris Cup Champions: 2008, '09, '10, '11
            NCAA Tournament: 2010, '11

AC '09

Comment

It is strange how there has not been a heck of a lot of chatter about this game as far as the teams are concerned. It must be either our respective fan bases are so confident “we” will walk-out with a win, or we’re smart enough to know different and not willing to chirp-up what I believe will be an awesome match-up. Both of these teams are playing very good hockey right now. I can say this about Elmira from direct observation, and have heard [read] this from the Adrian fan base.

As I mentioned last night in the chat, Adrian has held the attention of our “little DIII hockey world” for four years now. Every time there is a cross-regional match-up, it garners more interest than the typical in-region contest. Add Adrian to that cross-regional equation, and it becomes even more “noticed”. Now, add an NCAA playoff to the mix, and you have 200 fans willing to drive 500 miles to take-in the game.

So yeah, definitely worth dropping the coin and spending around 16hrs in a car. No doubt, I am looking forward to it, and possibly meeting some good people along the way.
              Dave
              RIT - '90

Comment

If what I saw of the game between Adrian and Manhattanville is an indication, I've got to give the edge to Adrian. I liked what I saw of Adrian in the NSB Classic over New Years, but it seemed that M'ville was much the better at that point in time. That was at New Years, so a lot can change over the course of 2.5 months. I think the week-in week-out intensity of the ECAC West schedule is going to make it difficult for Adrian to hold Elmira off for a full 60 minutes.

That being said this is one of the best stories in D3 hockey over the last four years. Congrats on them earning their first home NCAA game in program history.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                  No doubt, I am looking forward to it, and possibly meeting some good people along the way.
                  Frickers would be a good spot to meet and mingle !

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
                    Can't top Greene's
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Frickers fricking chicken chunks!
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

TTF and I will be at Frickers Saturday night!

here comes the boss!

Comment

There's not a whole lot to go on to handicap this game. We know Adrian has a very skilled team. There are those who will discount the scoring statistics and argue the numbers reflect the competition. I would argue that this group has performed at a very high level for four consecutive years. This consistency is worthy of respect.

Elmira on the other hand have made 4 consecutive appearances in the tournament playing in what is arguably the toughest conference in DIII, and as we know the only way they qualify is by invitation as Pool B or C participant. They don't often get a night off, and if the tough road they have travelled hasn't taken too much of a toll, they will be very well prepared for whatever Adrian has in store.

Manhattanville was the only common opponent this year and Elmira would win that comparison, but both teams are playing at a different level today than they were back in January.

Team Offense +1 Adrian
                          Avg/Gm 5.04
                          Notwithstanding the degree of difficulty in schedules, I think Adrian come out ahead in these stats. They have 3 solid scoring lines with 4 years of chemistry.

Special Teams Even
                          Adrian's is #2 nationally in PP and # 1 in PK .......however...
                          Elmira on average spends 9 minutes less in the box than Adrian so I really think it's a wash. Special teams is a huge element in "one and done" tournament play. The more disciplined team will have an advantage. Adrian apears to have the stats and Elmira appears to have more discipline so I call it a wash. That said, I hope we get officials that do their job without becoming a factor in the outcome.

Team Defense +1/2 Elmira
                          McDonald (7th) has a slight edge statistically over Fogal (8th). Adrian have allowed fewer goals. Given degree of difficulty for the overall season Elmira gets the .5.
                          Both goalies have been hot at the right time.

Big Game Experience +1 Elmira.
                          No further comment required

Home Ice +1 Adrian
                          Adrian fans and students haven't established a whole lot of traditions that would be cause for intimidation to visiting teams, but it gets better every year. The Harris Cup was well attended and a great environment.The Elmira contingent will certainly be our first experience at having a large fanbase supporting the Visitors' side. I hope they leave with good things to report about their Adrian experience, but disappointed with the outcome.

I think this game will be very exciting for those lucky enough to watch it.

My score 4-3 Adrian ....adding to the Legacy of Firsts
                          What a superb post, the only one I have seen that tries to weigh the strengths and weaknesses of both teams, sort of impartially.
                          I remember when I first posted on this forum, when I first saw Adrian play 4 years ago, and what has happened since: Mitch Albom's support, the NCAA weighting criteria that did not allow Adrian to play on, on the ice those first 2 years, the "it is what it is" nonsense, the naysayer posts about the program and the MCHA, the 4 Harris Cups, blah, blah.
                          Fast forward to today and it is what it is, indeed, a wonderful opportunity for the 17 seniors and their coach who recruited all of them, to play on in the NCAA DIII playoffs for a second time, this time as host team!!
                          Congratulations boys and coach, what a ride it has been these past 4 years!!!
                          Hope you win Saturday and go on to Minny!

Comment

Driving north on 223 (s.main) will we find Fricker's on the west side of the road before Beecher? Near Taco Bell perhaps?

here comes the boss!

Comment

Originally posted by jim32 View Post
                              Driving north on 223 (s.main) will we find Fricker's on the west side of the road before Beecher? Near Taco Bell perhaps?
                              Spot on
                              Adrian College Bulldogs!
                              MCHA Champs & Harris Cup Champions: 2008, '09, '10, '11
                              NCAA Tournament: 2010, '11

AC '09

Comment

Working...
                              X