UNH Wildcats - 2011 Playoff Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats - 2011 Playoff Quest

Thanks to zoofer for starting the regular season thread.
    Now that UNH has gotten the monkey off their back - also known as the Regular Season Trophy () - they can focus on the Hockey East Tournament and, hopefully, the NCAA Regionals at Manchester.
    Here's an analysis of various scenarios, prepared by Maine poster "Priceless", which would earn UNH a trip to the NCAA Tournament:
    New Hampshire (Range of Possible Outcomes: #4 Seed to Out of Tournament) The final team that can get all the way to #4 if they win the conference tournament and a slew of teams ahead of them all fall in their conferences. They can fall out, but what are the odds New Hampshire loses a home series to Vermont? They need to win this weekend. Odds are that will wrap up a spot, but a win in Boston would make it a sure thing. Because of the logjam ahead of them, it will be very difficult to move up. There are 4 WCHA teams, 3 CCHA teams and 2 other Hockey East clubs ahead of them. The extra TUC teams also hurt as teams ahead of them will play multiple TUC games (often against each other) which limits the Wildcats' potential to move up.

Most Likely: #12 Seed

There are two very clear lines of demarcation here. The top 3 teams have put a lot of separation between themselves and the rest of the field. Then another line exists after New Hampshire at #12. Even with two losses to Vermont, UNH only drops to 14th. It's only when games involving BU, Maine, Western Michigan, Dartmouth and CC are added to the mix that they fall out of the field. Barring amazing upsets this weekend, this top 12 should all make the field of 16. That would be only the 4th time that has happened.
    The first step is clear - beat UVM beginning Friday night at the Whitt.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Re: UNH Wildcats - 2011 Playoff Quest

Priceless also has BC playing Dartmouth and UNH playing Denver in the Manchvegas regional. But, probably too risky to lose to UVM this weekend and expect to still get a NCAA bid as a 4-seed, which probably would draw Michigan to Manchvegas and send BC to St. Louis. Better to win this weekend and get back to the Gahden.

Comment

Hopefully UNH can sweep the fake Cats and then we won't have to worry (as much).

(Also, don't be mad, but I saw the thread started by CHC, and first post from Snively65, and thought: more 70's reminiscing? Not that my generation doesn't already do that with teams from a decade ago.)
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

Good luck to the Wildcats. I'm still predicting that national title comes home to Durham this April. Losing the RS title was the best thing to happen for this team. Shades of Maine in 99, the only hardware will be the big one.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Any comparisons to Maine are purely coincidental

Nick I think BC should starting planning the parade soon Don't forget the ashes today though
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I'm dead serious when I say losing the RS title will be a good thing for UNH...
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              I'm dead serious when I say losing the RS title will be a good thing for UNH...
              I'll take your word for it and I agree with you too. We'll see how it plays out. In the grand scheme of things the RS is cool but like Umile said recently about BC and I'm paraphrasing, "I'd trade the RS for an NC any day." I thnk UVM will put up a scrappy effort but UNH advances to the Garden and will be motivated to make some noise.
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Good luck to the Wildcats. I'm still predicting that national title comes home to Durham this April. Losing the RS title was the best thing to happen for this team. Shades of Maine in 99, the only hardware will be the big one.
                Nick -- you know, it's too bad that there isn't a "tongue-in-cheek" icon -- it would certainly help in parsing your posts for their intent from time to time.
                We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

I am calling my doctor right now. Symptoms first I decided you were starting to be reasonable and now I am agreeing with you in multiple threads. There must be something wrong with me...
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    I am calling my doctor right now. Symptoms first I decided you were starting to be reasonable and now I am agreeing with you in multiple threads. There must be something wrong with me...
                    he's been saying this all year long that he likes the 'cats this year, honestly, he has.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                      he's been saying this all year long that he likes the 'cats this year, honestly, he has.

"This is the year, guys! You're going ALL. THE. WAY.!!!"

Nudge, nudge, wink wink...
                      We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                      ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                      --Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                        And he believes it now just as much as he did in November I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                          Hopefully UNH can sweep the fake Cats and then we won't have to worry (as much).

(Also, don't be mad, but I saw the thread started by CHC, and first post from Snively65, and thought: more 70's reminiscing? Not that my generation doesn't already do that with teams from a decade ago.)
                          Ok, I will leave the reminiscing to the UNH-UVM thread, and say that I would like to see two more games with BC this season (i.e., meet in the HE final, and then again in Manchvegas, rather than risking a 4th seed to send BC to the St. Louis regional). That is a lot of games against just two teams, but whatever it takes.

Comment

C-H-C, if you don't mind, I'll stop by your seat on Saturday between 2nd and 3rd periods to say hello.
                            ---Blaise Pascal

--Richard Dawkins

Comment

Any news on the condition of Greg Burke's shoulder? If he's out, I'd like to see Silengo centering Henrion and Speelman - a third line who played well against BC on Sat. - and Block centering Sorkin and McCarey.
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X