UNH Wildcats - 2011 Playoff Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - 2011 Playoff Quest

OK so who is booking their trips to St. Paul? You guys are going to win this bracket!
    Originally posted by reBlur
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
      Their approach seems to be to go for the pretty, back door one timer or tap in goal, as Bret Hemingway was so good at doing.

McCloskey, on the other hand, has always tried to screen the goalie and look for deflections and rebounds, at least since he took over the women's squad.
      The really effective power plays do multiple things. One time they try for the back door, the next wrister from the point with traffic looking for tips and rebounds, the next shot off next looking for the redirect in (UNH did this earlier this year I think 5 on 5 DeSimone to Thompson), the next try to feed a guy out front for a shot from the low slot, the next a cross box pass for a one timer. In all cases these different approaches never let the D be comfortable and the best cases it involves moving your feet hence moving the box.

This PP problem is also why UNH has issues scoring when the game style limits transition. If UNH must "setup" in zone they are limited with their skill set for generating goals. At least 5 on 5 the D pressure forces people to move. It is the UNH classic never anyone crashing the net for rebound or tip. UNH is too focused on the pretty goal.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Jason A View Post
        This is 100% on the nose, IMO. Ten years ago UNH and BC were far more alike stylistically than they are now. And what separates the two teams even more come March is that BC players seem to fully understand and appreciate the difference between regular season and playoff intensity, whereas UNH seems flummoxed that their opponent is playing so hard.
        That all comes down to one word:

Coaching.
        I haven't been on here in a year...
        Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

The really effective power plays do multiple things. One time they try for the back door, the next wrister from the point with traffic looking for tips and rebounds, the next shot off next looking for the redirect in (UNH did this earlier this year I think 5 on 5 DeSimone to Thompson), the next try to feed a guy out front for a shot from the low slot, the next a cross box pass for a one timer. In all cases these different approaches never let the D be comfortable and the best cases it involves moving your feet hence moving the box.

This PP problem is also why UNH has issues scoring when the game style limits transition. If UNH must "setup" in zone they are limited with their skill set for generating goals. At least 5 on 5 the D pressure forces people to move. It is the UNH classic never anyone crashing the net for rebound or tip. UNH is too focused on the pretty goal.
          Two recurring themes here:

a) lack of effort b) bad power play.

The two were going hand-in-hand Friday night. With the much-lauded skill our players are supposed to have, I always question the constant "dump-and-chase" offense on the power play. Why not mix it up, and try carrying it across the blue line for a change? Use that team speed we're supposed to have, and try to get the defenders on their heels and create some open ice?

Dump and chase drives me bug****; dump and coast is even worse. UNH was so lazy Friday night, they literally looked offended when the Warriors would jump onto the puck in their own zone when on the PK. So annoying. But yeah, boys, keep trying the same ****ing thing every rush up ice - the other team'll probably get bored and stop defending it eventually.
          I haven't been on here in a year...
          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

If, heaven forbid, Merrimack survives the Northeast Regional at the expense of UNH, the pressure on the coach will be astronomical. I firmly believe that the demise of the UMass Lowell coach was at least in part a byproduct of them glancing about seven miles up Route 495 and seeing Merrimack essentially appearing like a Genie out of a bottle.
            Chris V
            Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
              With the much-lauded skill our players are supposed to have, I always question the constant "dump-and-chase" offense on the power play. Why not mix it up, and try carrying it across the blue line for a change? Use that team speed we're supposed to have, and try to get the defenders on their heels and create some open ice?
              Like at the 1:10 mark here?...
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4h-K...layer_embedded
              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

I don't wish to appear obtuse, but what happened to NCAA Watcher? Haven't heard from him.
                "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
                Larry David

Comment

I'm enjoying this analysis of why the wheels fell off again, although I didn't enjoy watching it happen.
                  From my view, I watched the BC team in both games this weekend. The BC players' heads were in the games; they were focused. They knew what they had to do. They made correct decisions. They anticipated what might happen on the ice.
                  BC has talented, intelligent players, who play the game with a purpose.
                  UNH has talented players, but I have yet to see them consistently do what BC did this weekend mentally. There's no reason that they can't. I am not sure where the motivation or leadership comes from, but I know it does not come from Dick Umile.
                  For BC, Cam Atkinson.
                  For UNH, Paul Thompson.
                  As the professors said on the exams, compare and contrast.
                  "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
                  Larry David

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post

haha. facial.
                    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

For all the reasons that have been stated, most effectively by JB, a couple friends and diehard fans who I have been going to the games with for years are seriously starting to discuss giving up their season tickets. It is just so disappointing. Year after year, the fast start, the good play pre-Christmas, the decline toward mediocrity in the second half, and the inexplicable failures in Boston and the NCAA; after awhile you begin to lose belief that we will ever return to those few golden years when we made the final game and had a chance to win the whole thing.

I certainly hope we do something this weekend (somehow, hope springs eternal).
                      Go Cats
                      Former HEA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                        If, heaven forbid, Merrimack survives the Northeast Regional at the expense of UNH, the pressure on the coach will be astronomical. I firmly believe that the demise of the UMass Lowell coach was at least in part a byproduct of them glancing about seven miles up Route 495 and seeing Merrimack essentially appearing like a Genie out of a bottle.
                        Or maybe it had something to do with only winning 5 games all year...
                        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by catsfan View Post
                          For all the reasons that have been stated, most effectively by JB, a couple friends and diehard fans who I have been going to the games with for years are seriously starting to discuss giving up their season tickets. It is just so disappointing. Year after year, the fast start, the good play pre-Christmas, the decline toward mediocrity in the second half, and the inexplicable failures in Boston and the NCAA; after awhile you begin to lose belief that we will ever return to those few golden years when we made the final game and had a chance to win the whole thing.

I certainly hope we do something this weekend (somehow, hope springs eternal).
                          Yah. Do it now. Don't hang around as long as I have waiting for the impossible to happen.
                          Don't end up like me. I'll be in a box before UNH gets any serious hardware.
                          Larry David

Comment

well didn't this turn into one big bi#@h fest, I know heaven forbid we actually talk about the game this weekend and just jump to the team losing, hell why even play the game everyone give up their tickets now and save the time. I for one will wait till after the teams season is actually over with. Unlike everyone else I am actaully looking forward to the game and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                              well didn't this turn into one big bi#@h fest, I know heaven forbid we actually talk about the game this weekend and just jump to the team losing, hell why even play the game everyone give up their tickets now and save the time. I for one will wait till after the teams season is actually over with. Unlike everyone else I am actaully looking forward to the game and see what happens.
                              I'm looking forward to the weekend as well. Step off the ledge UNH fans... We lost a close game to a good Merrimack team. We can beat Miami, but will we? Well I guess that's why they play the game.
                              UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                                I'm looking forward to the weekend as well. Step off the ledge UNH fans... We lost a close game to a good Merrimack team. We can beat Miami, but will we? Well I guess that's why they play the game.
                                Finally the voice of reason. Never know what can happen, thought the last 2 years they had no chance in the first round and look what happened. lets wait and see on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X