Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Awards Thread

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Here is what I value in a goalie...(in no particular order)

Goals Against Average:
    1. Aaron Dell 1.97
    2. Kent Patterson 2.31
    3. Kenny Reiter 2.32
    4. Sam Brittain 2.40
    5. Scott Gudmandson 2.46
    6. John Faulkner 2.54

Faulkner is more than a 1/2 goal/game behind Dell, and 1/5 goal/game behind Patterson and Reiter. While that may not seem like a lot, that's an extra goal given up every 5 games.

Save Percentage:
    1. Kent Patterson - .926
    2. Sam Brittain - .920
    3. Scott Gudmandson - .917
    4. Mike Lee - .915
    5. Kenny Reiter - .914
    6. Dan Bakala - .912
    7. Aaron Dell - .912
    8. John Faulkner - .910

You mentioned the poor defense being a reason why Faulkner's other stats may not be so good. Patterson and Faulkner made the exact same number of saves (689). Patterson allowed 55 goals to Faulkner's 68.

Shots faced/minute played:
    1. Genoe - .5739
    2. Cook - .5350
    3. Patterson - .5217
    4. Lee - .5176
    5. Bakala - .5093
    6. Brittain - .5000
    7. Howe - .4947
    8. Gudmandson - .4930
    9. Faulkner - .4710
    10. Reiter - .4484
    11. Gunderson - .4389
    12. Crandall - .4300
    13. Dell - .3729

This stat goes a long way to show just how good the goalie's defense was in front of them. This stat is also one of the main reason's why I have Patterson at first team, and Dell on the second team. When Patterson was in the nets, he was seeing about 31 shots/game. When Dell was in the nets, he was seeing about 22 shots/game. When Faulkner was in the nets, he was seeing about 28 shots/game, and when Brittain was in the nets, he was seeing about 30 shots/game.

Winning Percentage:
    1. Dell - .812 (As a team .768)
    2. Crandall - .773 (As a team .625)
    3. Patterson - .674 (As a team .554)
    4. Brittain - .659 (As a team .661)
    5. Faulkner - .630 (As a team .643)

This is the most important category, but the one in which the goalie has the least control over. What is interesting though, is that both Brittain and Faulkner have lower Winning Percentages than their team in Conference play.

Given these four categories, Brittain ranks higher than Faulkner in every single one. Why did I put Faulkner over Brittain then on the third place team? Brittain is a freshman, and voters typically overlook freshmen. Also, Faulkner did play the most minutes and overall faced the most shots. Brittain wasn't too far behind. Faulkner does have more shutouts as well. Given all that, I put Faulkner on the third team. I wouldn't be surprised though if he is left off the third team and Brittain gets that spot instead.

What I'm left to wonder, is why you think Faulkner deserves better? All goalies make spectacular saves at this level, especially the higher end ones. Dell, Patterson and Brittain all have made wonderful saves like Faulkner. Faulkner isn't even in the top 5 in goals against average, or save percentage. He doesn't face all that many shots compared to the rest of the goalies in the conference, and his winning percentage is 5th. This has NOTHING to do with the fact that UNO is in its first year in the WCHA. It has everything to do with the fact that there are other good (very good) goalies in this league.
    {standing ovation} No way in h-e double hockey sticks I could have said that better myself.

Comment

Frat Party Frattin is the most overrated player the WCHA has seen since Ryan Duncan.

Frat Party lights it up against the Mich Tech's and Kato's and does nothing against the good teams.

As far as elf boy Duncan...everyone knows he only won the hobey because he had that ugly canuck Toews and that Fat kid Oshie as his linemates...he didnt do anything after those guys left!

Comment

WCHA Awards go to individuals not teams (with possible exception of Coach) and as individuals UNO has no one (yet) that compares with Scott Parse, Greg Zanon or Dan Ellis of years gone by. Teams like UND, UMD, Denver and St Cloud have tons of NHL draft pics who all have great individual stats. UNO has two or three.

What UNO does have is a lot of skill guys who play as a team and who play hard and who usually play smart and they have a coach who knows how to maximize the talent that is there.

I don't give a flip if UNO has no one on the first three teams as long as the go deep in the the Conference championship and the NCAA's.
        UNO Maverick Hockey - It doesn't get any better than this!

Comment

You mentioned the poor defense being a reason why Faulkner's other stats may not be so good. Patterson and Faulkner made the exact same number of saves (689). Patterson allowed 55 goals to Faulkner's 68.
          Irrelevant. The next thirteen shots on Patterson could have been goals.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
            Frat Party lights it up against the Mich Tech's and Kato's and does nothing against the good teams.
            failpig again comes to the rescue right when we think there might be some intelligent life in the goofer fan-base...
            Last edited by willythekid; 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Goals Against Average:
              1. Aaron Dell 1.97
              2. Kent Patterson 2.31
              3. Kenny Reiter 2.32
              4. Sam Brittain 2.40
              5. Scott Gudmandson 2.46
              6. John Faulkner 2.54

Faulkner is more than a 1/2 goal/game behind Dell, and 1/5 goal/game behind Patterson and Reiter. While that may not seem like a lot, that's an extra goal given up every 5 games.

Save Percentage:
              1. Kent Patterson - .926
              2. Sam Brittain - .920
              3. Scott Gudmandson - .917
              4. Mike Lee - .915
              5. Kenny Reiter - .914
              6. Dan Bakala - .912
              7. Aaron Dell - .912
              8. John Faulkner - .910

1. Genoe - .5739
              2. Cook - .5350
              3. Patterson - .5217
              4. Lee - .5176
              5. Bakala - .5093
              6. Brittain - .5000
              7. Howe - .4947
              8. Gudmandson - .4930
              9. Faulkner - .4710
              10. Reiter - .4484
              11. Gunderson - .4389
              12. Crandall - .4300
              13. Dell - .3729

This stat goes a long way to show just how good the goalie's defense was in front of them. This stat is also one of the main reason's why I have Patterson at first team, and Dell on the second team. When Patterson was in the nets, he was seeing about 31 shots/game. When Dell was in the nets, he was seeing about 22 shots/game. When Faulkner was in the nets, he was seeing about 28 shots/game, and when Brittain was in the nets, he was seeing about 30 shots/game.

Winning Percentage:
              1. Dell - .812 (As a team .768)
              2. Crandall - .773 (As a team .625)
              3. Patterson - .674 (As a team .554)
              4. Brittain - .659 (As a team .661)
              5. Faulkner - .630 (As a team .643)

This is the most important category, but the one in which the goalie has the least control over. What is interesting though, is that both Brittain and Faulkner have lower Winning Percentages than their team in Conference play.

Given these four categories, Brittain ranks higher than Faulkner in every single one. Why did I put Faulkner over Brittain then on the third place team? Brittain is a freshman, and voters typically overlook freshmen. Also, Faulkner did play the most minutes and overall faced the most shots. Brittain wasn't too far behind. Faulkner does have more shutouts as well. Given all that, I put Faulkner on the third team. I wouldn't be surprised though if he is left off the third team and Brittain gets that spot instead.

What I'm left to wonder, is why you think Faulkner deserves better? All goalies make spectacular saves at this level, especially the higher end ones. Dell, Patterson and Brittain all have made wonderful saves like Faulkner. Faulkner isn't even in the top 5 in goals against average, or save percentage. He doesn't face all that many shots compared to the rest of the goalies in the conference, and his winning percentage is 5th. This has NOTHING to do with the fact that UNO is in its first year in the WCHA. It has everything to do with the fact that there are other good (very good) goalies in this league.
              How dare you use actual stats and facts to combat the "this guy plays for my team and he should be all-conference because I cheer for him" argument.

Great post.
              This is THE State of Hockey. Check your teams roster. I bet there are some Minnesotans on it
              www.twitter.com/johnnyredshoes

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                I'd sure like everybody to explain to me what they value in a goalie more than the ability to stop the other team from scoring. I know his other stats are middle of the road. I'll put my question another way, in a statement, instead. If John Faulkner is the goalie at North Dakota, this season, he's the landslide goalie of the year in the WCHA. I think Faulkner's somewhat middling stats belie his true value this year as a goalie. On a better defensive or a better team overall, he'd shine like he really has, anyway, here, but even more so.
                I have a couple of questions for you regarding these statements.

First, if the most important stat for a goalie is stopping the other team from scoring, and Faulkner has the 6th best goals against average in the league this year, how are we slighting him by naming him 3rd team goalie?

Second, ignoring the goaltenders, do you believe UNO's team is better than Minnesota's this year? I do, and I suspect a fair number of other people do as well. And if so, then isn't the job Patterson did, putting up better stats than Faulkner, even more remarkable?

Edit: By the way, I've never been a big fan of the argument you're making here. When a goaltender gives up a boatload of goals, he's playing behind a crappy team, but when he gets the shutout, it's all because he's brilliant in net.
                Last edited by SJHovey; 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by breed View Post
                  WCHA Awards go to individuals not teams (with possible exception of Coach) and as individuals UNO has no one (yet) that compares with Scott Parse, Greg Zanon or Dan Ellis of years gone by. Teams like UND, UMD, Denver and St Cloud have tons of NHL draft pics who all have great individual stats. UNO has two or three.

What UNO does have is a lot of skill guys who play as a team and who play hard and who usually play smart and they have a coach who knows how to maximize the talent that is there.

I don't give a flip if UNO has no one on the first three teams as long as the go deep in the the Conference championship and the NCAA's.
                  I'm down with this.

By the way, here's how our local paper had it:

http://www.mavstoday.com/article/201...ll-wcha-honors

Comment

I'm down with this.

Matt White over Jaden Schwartz for all rookie team?!? Are you kidding me? What you've proven is that Chad Purcell's head is too far up his *** to know a thing about WCHA hockey.

In conference play, Matt White had 9G 5A for 14pts. Jaden Schwartz had 10G 15A for 25ts, in NINE less games. Your guy's argument is he didn't put in as many games as White; if White then was more productive, then fine, but Schwartz still had 11 more points. Christ, his 1.47 points/game was almost THREE times more than White's 0.5.

Just because you found someone as big of a homer as you doesn't mean you're both right.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I'm down with this.

If you are down with that, what is your responce to FS 23?

EDIT: Also if Faulkner is so great how are his stats that much worse. His shutouts should go a LONG way to lowering his GAA and SV% but he is still ranking very poorly. This to me shows a streaky goalie, not a good one.
                      Originally posted by Mankato student
                      Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                      "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                      -- Peter Klein

Comment

I know he'll probably take this as homerism, but Faulkner over Patterson is just plain laughable.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

I think Genoe should be considered. The other 11 goalies at least had something resembling a defense in front of them.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

1. Genoe - .5739
                            2. Cook - .5350
                            3. Patterson - .5217
                            4. Lee - .5176
                            5. Bakala - .5093
                            6. Brittain - .5000
                            7. Howe - .4947
                            8. Gudmandson - .4930
                            9. Faulkner - .4710
                            10. Reiter - .4484
                            11. Gunderson - .4389
                            12. Crandall - .4300
                            13. Dell - .3729

Great post and great stat. I have never seen this stat before and it is a telling sign for how goalies are doing.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

FWIW, the numbers look a bit different when you throw in non-conference games:
                              Dell 919 SV%, 1.95 GAA
                              Patterson 921 SV%, 2.48 GAA
                              Faulkner 912 SV%, 2.49 GAA

The difference in number of shots faced is huge - about 200 less for Dell
                              Given that this is a WCHA conf thread, I think Patterson is an OK choice.
                              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

And here are the ACTUAL WCHA Awards...

Player of the year: Matt Frattin, UND.
                                Rookie of the year: Jason Zucker, Denver.
                                Student-athlete of the year: Chay Genoway, UND.
                                Defensive player of the year: Justin Schultz, Wisconsin.
                                Coach of the year: Dean Blais, Omaha.
                                Scoring champion: Frattin.
                                Goaltending champion: Aaron Dell, UND.

First team all-WCHA

F — Matt Frattin, UND
                                F — Mike Connolly, Minnesota Duluth
                                F — Jack Connolly, Minnesota Duluth
                                D — Justin Schultz, Wisconsin
                                D — Chay Genoway, UND
                                G — Aaron Dell, UND

Second team all-WCHA

F — Justin Fontaine, Minnesota Duluth
                                F — Drew Shore, Denver
                                F — Jason Zucker, Denver
                                D — Jake Gardiner, Wisconsin
                                D — Matt Donovan, Denver
                                G –Kent Patterson, Minnesota

Third team all-WCHA

F — Jason Gregoire, UND
                                F — Jaden Schwartz, Colorado College
                                F — Drew LeBlanc, St. Cloud State
                                D — Kurt Davis, MSU-Mankato
                                D — Justin Faulk, Minnesota Duluth
                                G –John Faulkner, Nebraska-Omaha

All rookie team

F — Jason Zucker, Denver.
                                F — Jaden Schwartz, Colorado College
                                F — J.T. Brown, Minnesota Duluth
                                D — Justin Faulk, Minnesota Duluth
                                D — David Makowski, Denver
                                G — Sam Brittain, Denver
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X